PDA

View Full Version : HELP:Tubular valve stem will not fit extender,maybe stripped?

Titanium
10-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Bought some used Vittoria tubulars with very low miles (looked new) here on the forum and the stems are short and do not have removable cores. Unfortunately, something is messed up with the threading and even with teflon tape will not hold the extender. Had a shop just install the tires and they did not mention this issue until they were already glued. Are there any extenders that are a smaller diameter that might work on this tire????? Please Help BBT (Bike Brain Trust)!!!!

tuscanyswe
10-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Are you talking about the older vittoria valve stems that are red anodized?
If so you have to order specific ones in the correct length. They unscrew at the base of the stem at the tire (even if they dont look like it at first). Then you just screw on a longer, also red, vittora valve stem in the correct length for your rim.

One of these maybe: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vitttoria+valve+stem&_sacat=0

oldpotatoe
10-14-2018, 06:48 AM
Are you talking about the older vittoria valve stems that are red anodized?
If so you have to order specific ones in the correct length. They unscrew at the base of the stem at the tire (even if they dont look like it at first). Then you just screw on a longer, also red, vittora valve stem in the correct length for your rim.

One of these maybe: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vitttoria+valve+stem&_sacat=0

Them’s the ones I’ll bet. Thankfully Vittoria saw the light and dumped their silly proprietary valves. But the bike shop ‘didn’t notice’?? Twice? How’d they get air into the first one they glued?

Titanium
10-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys! So you guys are saying these actually do have a removable core? They do have red anodized stems.Is there an extender that will fit the outer threading so I can get air in the tire without another re-glue?
As far as the bike shop,I have learned to do much of my own work,but had never done tubbies.I try and support local shops when I can,but I will never go back in this one. I called the owner after the wheels had been with him over a week and he starts screaming about what a pain in the ass this job is and he will never do this again then he charged me substantially more than he said it would cost! I am so pissed.And I cant get air in the wheels!!!!