PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber seatpost bites dust

saab2000
11-09-2006, 12:01 PM
My 2001 Record Carbon Seatpost is being retired. I re-installed my Turbomatic II saddle on the CIII and had to try to lower it about 9mm. It wouldn't lower. The edge of the frame had finally cut into the carbon enough that it would not go down and I had images of that thing failing at the wrong time having the remnants go where they should not go.

But that seatpost survived longer than most of it's era.

I replaced it with a Chorus Ti post which was gotten here and was originally in the bike when I built it up. I suspect that it will last forever.

But the carbon one looked a better match to the black Deda Newton stem.

I learned my lesson about 15 years ago when I had a seatpost snap on my Peugeot while pounding along a section of gravel road in Appleton, WI. I got real lucky to not have to make an emergency visit to the proctologist.....

Long live metal seatposts.

jeffg
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM

Hence why I am also not a fan of the integrated CF seatpost scheme ...

Glad you retired it before it retired you

columbusslx
11-09-2006, 01:38 PM
pic?

znfdl
11-09-2006, 01:41 PM
That is why I swear by Bold Seatposts. Nice shiny Ti.

saab2000
11-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Photo added. Be careful with these. I am not anti carbon seatpost at all, but we really need to pay attention.

Needs Help
11-10-2006, 04:09 AM
Time for some customer research. Clamp it in a vice and take a hammer to it. Report back on what happened. Did it shatter into a million black particles? Or, was it difficult to inflict harm? Wear some goggles.

British
11-10-2006, 05:46 AM
My 2001 Record Carbon Seatpost is being retired. I re-installed my Turbomatic II saddle on the CIII and had to try to lower it about 9mm. It wouldn't lower. The edge of the frame had finally cut into the carbon enough that it would not go down and I had images of that thing failing at the wrong time having the remnants go where they should not go.

But that seatpost survived longer than most of it's era.

I replaced it with a Chorus Ti post which was gotten here and was originally in the bike when I built it up. I suspect that it will last forever.

But the carbon one looked a better match to the black Deda Newton stem.

I learned my lesson about 15 years ago when I had a seatpost snap on my Peugeot while pounding along a section of gravel road in Appleton, WI. I got real lucky to not have to make an emergency visit to the proctologist.....

My eyes are watering :eek:

slowgoing
11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Time for some customer research. Clamp it in a vice and take a hammer to it. Report back on what happened. Did it shatter into a million black particles? Or, was it difficult to inflict harm? Wear some goggles.

I overtightened mine a few years back. Lots of nasty, sharp shards. Never again. Plus the chorus ti is so purdy.

stevep
11-10-2006, 07:52 AM
the real genuine problem with carbon posts is as mentioned. they are pretty slippery and tend to get overtightened. this causes a pending crack at the top part of the binder... as seen on saabs post. it is not the carbon per se. it is the overtightening.
there is an fsa/ tacx product that is meant to help with this. it is a grease material with some texture in it. it allows the post to not slip without excess binder tightness. simple solution.
that said, there is nothing that needs to be solved with an aluminum post or aluminum handlebars for that matter.

stevep
11-10-2006, 07:55 AM

ChrisK
11-10-2006, 08:28 AM
A year or two ago I saw an E-Bay listing for a batch of 5 or so broken Record seatposts. That convinced me. Plus, even a good alloy post doesn't weigh that much more. I wonder why someone bought those broken posts.

stevep
11-10-2006, 08:31 AM
for the parts.

BumbleBeeDave
11-10-2006, 08:48 AM
. . . Is that post actually bent, as it appears to be in the second photo?

I've also learned the hard way to tighten just barely tight, then check to see if it slips in use. Then tighten a tiny bit more and try using it again. Works with carbon stuff and those zoomy aluminum chainring bolts. But I always keep a couple of extra chainring bolts around . . . Just. In. Case.

BBD

J.Greene
11-10-2006, 08:50 AM
A year or two ago I saw an E-Bay listing for a batch of 5 or so broken Record seatposts. That convinced me. Plus, even a good alloy post doesn't weigh that much more. I wonder why someone bought those broken posts.

A few years ago someone on the ibob list shared his story of his carbon post failure. While riding the post sheared near the clamp. The post wound up puncturing his skin including his anus. The dude wound up with a colstomy bag while he healed.

Since then I have been on aluminum and Ti. My next bike will have record carbon, but i'm staying away from the cheaper carbon brands.

JG

Kevan
11-10-2006, 09:11 AM
sported an USE Alien CF post and a couple free replacements at no charge. Finally, enough was enough and I went to a Thomson. I can't feel a damn difference. The new post never slips like the other was prone to, and though the CF never broke such as Saab's, the clamp head was always a problem.

The funny thing I could never figure out, nor could my shop, when the bike was brand new and the Alien post was slipping (cf against cf, with no lubricant), I went to remove the post and couldn't, it simply wedged itself, as if the bottow portion of the pipe had actually swelled to compensate for being compressed further up where the seat clamp did its work. Fearing destruction I took the bike back to the shop to have them address the problem.

Still scratching my head on that one.

saab2000
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
BBDave,

The post does look bent. But I think it is an illusion. Anyway, I can't test it with a vice. I don't have one.

I will stand by what I have said in the past. Thomson seatposts are fugly. But they are the best designed things I have ever seen (at least as seatposts go) and that is all she wrote. The clamp is infinitely adjustable, they are light and strong and don't slip. Too bad they can't be a bit prettier and have a bit more setback.

Brendan Quirk
11-10-2006, 10:16 AM
When Record carbon posts were first released 4 or 5 years ago (is that timeframe right?) the failure shown in your photo was all-too-common. To my knowledge Campy never changed the design of the post. What they did do, though, was begin supplying an "eccentric" style seat clamp that was designed to apply the clamping force more uniformly around the entire circumference of the post.

In using that post with a traditional clamp, it loads the force in the gap between the "ears" of the clamp, and causes the vertical crack shown. The new clamp has been fairly successful, and I can't recall offhand any failures in a Record post when that clamp was used.

If you have a lugged steel frame (or an old-school Ti frame) with a simple binder bolt, Campy's clamp doesn't help. So that's a situation where staying away from that clamp would be advisable.

Elefantino
11-10-2006, 10:33 AM
When Record carbon posts were first released 4 or 5 years ago (is that timeframe right?) the failure shown in your photo was all-too-common. To my knowledge Campy never changed the design of the post. What they did do, though, was begin supplying an "eccentric" style seat clamp that was designed to apply the clamping force more uniformly around the entire circumference of the post.

In using that post with a traditional clamp, it loads the force in the gap between the "ears" of the clamp, and causes the vertical crack shown. The new clamp has been fairly successful, and I can't recall offhand any failures in a Record post when that clamp was used.

If you have a lugged steel frame (or an old-school Ti frame) with a simple binder bolt, Campy's clamp doesn't help. So that's a situation where staying away from that clamp would be advisable.

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't everyone with a CF seapost reverse the clamp, so that the screws are on the front of the seat tube?

atmo
11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
When Record carbon posts were first released 4 or 5 years ago (is that timeframe right?) the failure shown in your photo was all-too-common. To my knowledge Campy never changed the design of the post.
yes. they did.
the actual "guage" of the cross section was increased
after the intro year, and while i have seen posts like
the one noted here, those have been from the i.p.o.

atmo there is no issue at all using the cf post in a
trad frame. what i do the suppress the interference
issue is to 1) never remove the framesaver from the
upper end of the seat tube as it provides a sticky,
almost tacky surface for the seatpost, and 2) i never
ever grease the mating parts atmo.

saab2000
11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't have a problem with carbon seatposts per se, but they do need to be installed properly.

I am not blaming Campagnolo here. Fact is that I got 5 years of good use out this post and it's time was up.

I think if they came out with a carbon like on their crank with the 'marble' look it would be pretty cool.

TimD
11-10-2006, 10:52 AM

I just threw away the broken Chorus Ti seatpost which was serving as a paperweight on my desk. It cracked and broke off without warning, fortunately at low speed, on a very bumpy road. I nearly fell off the back of the bike, but managed to hang on with the saddle and post stump sticking out of my a$$. Sure gave my buddies a chuckle.

Metal, yes; specifically Thomson. Campy Ti, no. :)

pjm
11-10-2006, 01:38 PM
This discussion makes me wonder how many miles a typical carbon fork is good for. Should they be replaced at certain intervals, too?

swoop
11-10-2006, 01:58 PM
This discussion makes me wonder how many miles a typical carbon fork is good for. Should they be replaced at certain intervals, too?

no.

stevep
11-10-2006, 02:13 PM

i think the interval for replacement is when they start to get beat up with dings, nicks, corrosion.
that said i replace a lot of stuff w/ some regularity because its all way cheaper than busted ribs, etc.

note on the campy seatpost issues above.
remember the campagnolo weight edict...180 pounds... above this is not recommended.

TimD
11-10-2006, 02:38 PM
remember the campagnolo weight edict...180 pounds... above this is not recommended.

Well, maybe that was the problem with the Chorus Ti, as I was definitely over 180# at the time (still am, but by a lesser amount). As a buddy quoted someone in the pro peloton, "I'm not some 50-gram Spanish climber" LOL

fogrider
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I just don't understand how anyone could ride on a post that could fail. everytime my speed is over 30 mph and I have to brake hard, I think, when was the last time I checked my brakes and headset. I live in san francisco, and every ride involves braking hard at some point. if any part of the bike fails and I'm next to traffic, its a big deal. I just can't see how a seatpost with a 5 year life is acceptable. btw, I think the thomson design is beautiful! it is clean and simple, the finish is durable and if you want to save a few grams and spend the bucks, get the masterpiece...why would anyone consider carbon for a post?

saab2000
11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Fogrider,

You are right that 5 years is not an acceptable life span for a component of this nature. And you are right that this is one component that should NEVER fail.

I am just glad I caught it in time and am happy I got some decent service out of it. Many others who bought carbon posts of this era had them go bad very fast.

You are right about the Thomson design - "Install it and forget it".

Ahneida Ride
11-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I btw, I think the thomson design is beautiful! it is clean and simple, the finish is durable and if you want to save a few grams and spend the bucks, get the masterpiece...why would anyone consider carbon for a post?

Yup. The Thompson is nukeproof.

The masterpiece: 27.2/240 158 grams 150 frn

RECORD™ CARBON seat post 27.2/250 185 grams 155 frn

Why go Carbon, I just understand.
It just is not worth the risk.

DarrenCT
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm a bit worried after reading this thread because I just ordered
a Campy Record Carbon seatpost for either my Sachs or IF steel bike
that I have to build up. This seatpost only has a 5 year lifespan?

Someone please give me the info on this. Thanks so much and have
a great day.

saab2000
01-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm a bit worried after reading this thread because I just ordered
a Campy Record Carbon seatpost for either my Sachs or IF steel bike
that I have to build up. This seatpost only has a 5 year lifespan?

Someone please give me the info on this. Thanks so much and have
a great day.

Well, read all the posts here. I still have my Record seatpost in the photo, but now it is a paperweight. If you have a Sachs, ask Richard Sachs about installing it. Someone here named ATMO knows him pretty well I think! :D

There is nothing wrong with the Record post. But mine was a 2001 (first generation, first year IIRC) and was NOT installed with the Campagnolo clamp. Again, as I said before, I don't blame Campagnolo for the failure of this post (and it did not fail catastrophically, rather I removed it before it did). If I blame anyone, I blame myself.

But caution needs to be taken. It is an important component for your safety.

Ask Richard Sachs. He gets it. Ask Independent Fabrications. They get it too.

Johnny P
01-30-2007, 07:57 PM
FWIW, I have a Campy Record carbon seatpost that I purchased in January 2001 on my Merlin Extralight. It's still in good shape with over 10,000 miles on it. The key may be the bike's clamping mechanism for the seatpost as Brendan pointed out. Mine has a metal collar around the entire post. The saddle hasn't slipped either. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

Grant McLean
01-30-2007, 08:12 PM
If a post breaks, it's the frames fault.

I've seen every kind of post you can imagine broken,
so i'm not sure what conclusion you can draw about
safety, other than know what you're doing, have the
frame prepped properly, and don't over tighten it,
or get an integrated seat tube frame!

I'm also pretty sure Campagnolo changed the layup of
the carbon as well as the wall thickness when they
updated the record post a couple of years ago. The
new version, (with the carbon cap) has a different
weave pattern on the outside too.

I've heard much less about cracked campy posts
after the 1st generation, which seemed to be much
more of an issue.

(new on the left, original version of the right)

mike p
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I broke an easton CF post. My fault, it kept slippin and I kept tightening.
I think if thomson made a post with setback that didn't look like it was an afterthought it would become an overnite classic atmo.

Mike

chrisroph
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
thomson, ritchey, metal campy, superbe........

DRZRM
01-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Is there really a 180 pound limit on the new (not 2007 new, just the 10 speed group) CF post? If so I'll need a Thompson post as well. There is no weight limit on Easton EC-70s is there?

I sheared off a USE Ti post at a MTB race about 10 years ago. I was lucky to come away unscathed.

i think the interval for replacement is when they start to get beat up with dings, nicks, corrosion.
that said i replace a lot of stuff w/ some regularity because its all way cheaper than busted ribs, etc.

Grant McLean
01-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Is there really a 180 pound limit on the new (not 2007 new, just the 10 speed group) CF post? If so I'll need a Thompson post as well. There is no weight limit on Easton EC-70s is there?

I sheared off a USE Ti post at a MTB race about 10 years ago. I was lucky to come away unscathed.

Campagnolo's weight policy:

http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=9&cid=11&key=comp

from Q&A:
Last year I weighed 80 kg and now I weigh 83 kg. Can I still use Campagnolo products, or am I too heavy?

There is no clear dividing line defining when someone is "too heavy" for Campagnolo products. Many factors need to be considered.
Campagnolo products were designed for "racing" type bicycles used on smooth asphalt roads or tracks. Any other use of Campagnolo products is improper.
Magnified stresses and loads caused by a "heavy" rider, coupled with forces from an uneven road surface, greatly shorten the lifespan of Campagnolo products, especially if your bicycle is equipped with tires, wheels, or stiff frames that are poor at absorbing shocks and vibrations.
The weight of the rider, type of bike and the style and conditions of use are all critical factors affecting the lifespan of your product.
Technical knowledge, experience, common sense, and prudence are required. If you weigh 80 kg or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected regularly for any evidence of cracks, deformation, or other signs of fatigue or stress. Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the components you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections.

Too Tall
01-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Funny you mentioned that Grant. I was installing a chorus chain last night and was bored...read the product material and noticed the weight "warning" thing...gave me a laff.

What Steve and ATMO said X 10 to the 125th power. There is not a problem if you know what you are working with. Big ol thank you to Steve for alerting me to the tacx product...it is becoming one of my shop favs :) Awesome product.

Grant McLean
01-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I've said this little rant before, but I may as well say it again:

Why do heavy, non racer types want to buy pro-level race parts,
and then complain they won't work for them?
I don't buy an F1 ferrari and then complain when I realize it's too
low to back out of the driveway.

Record parts designed for people who race. If that's not your thing, don't
blame campy. Just because they are "high end" or "expensive" parts
doesn't mean they are designed to last forever. Actually, the reverse is
becoming more the case. Here's a shocker: Record parts are designed for
pro racers to do their thang. Race parts are disposable. Deal with it.

There's a great campagnolo aluminum seat post, (it's even silver!) and
it's called "Centaur". Take a sharpie marker and write "RECORD" on it if
that kind of thing is important to you. But f-off with the b!tching about it.

What do people think is the whole point of having different models of grouppos?
If you want conservatively built parts that will be less fragile, is a centaur
grouppo not the answer?

g

crossjunkee
01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
My 01 Record is still going strong, knock on wood. TK was kind enough to notch the top of the seat tube so it wouldn't cut into the post. Also, the longer record post was thicker than the shorter. I don't know if I've seen a broken 350mm Record post.

Thomson = UGLY and shouldn't be allowed near a bike.

As for heavy riders on Campy, there is a weight limit on Record. It's posted in the component box that nobody reads.

Serotta PETE
01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
We had the pleasure to talk to Mike Lopez (SEROTTA lead carbon guru) last summer in OTTROTT. He said the F2/F3 and other well made carbon would out last us........

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Serotta PETE
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Grant, I am agreeing too much with you lately - - -YOU BETTER BE GETTING WORRIED. ( that is not good for someone as young as you)_

I do not know why some folks think that the more exotic and expensive something is - the longer in will last and the more durable it will be. As things become lighter they typically become less durable. (all else being equal.)

There's a great campagnolo aluminum seat post, (it's even silver!) and
it's called "Centaur". Take a sharpie marker and write "RECORD" on it if
that kind of thing is important to you. But f-off with the b!tching about it.

What do people think is the whole point of having different models of grouppos?
If you want conservatively built parts that will be less fragile, is a centaur
grouppo not the answer?

g

LegendRider
01-31-2007, 01:26 PM
sported an USE Alien CF post and a couple free replacements at no charge. Finally, enough was enough and I went to a Thomson. I can't feel a damn difference. The new post never slips like the other was prone to, and though the CF never broke such as Saab's, the clamp head was always a problem.

The funny thing I could never figure out, nor could my shop, when the bike was brand new and the Alien post was slipping (cf against cf, with no lubricant), I went to remove the post and couldn't, it simply wedged itself, as if the bottow portion of the pipe had actually swelled to compensate for being compressed further up where the seat clamp did its work. Fearing destruction I took the bike back to the shop to have them address the problem.

Still scratching my head on that one.

Has anyone used the product intriduced at Intebikw made for carbon seatposts? It is supposed to have small granules of something (silcone?) that don't scratch the carbon but provide friction.

Too Tall
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
(Aheem) read the thread ;) Yep, the tacx product is what you are talking about and YEP it is the real deal. The little bits are small plastic granules...pink stars, yellow moons and green clovers....if you look really close. :)

Xyzzy
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Has anyone used the product intriduced at Intebikw made for carbon seatposts? It is supposed to have small granules of something (silcone?) that don't scratch the carbon but provide friction.
http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?fl=true&language=EN&lvlMain=18&lvlSub=66&lvlSubSub=222&ttop=Carbon%20assembly%20compound

I haven't used it yet, but i plan to.

I once had to cut a stuck Record carbon fiber seatpost out of a frame. It took me several hours to get it out. I had to chop it off at the top and then use a hacksaw blade down the center to split it.

DRZRM
01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
[Sorry, I changed the wording of this as I was the one who misinterpreted what Grant said in his original post.]

Fair enough Grant, I did not mean to bring on a "little rant," and this is something it seems like you've been thinking about for a while. Who is the "heavy non-racer type" complaining about a failure you are referring to? Me or Saab (no offense, I don't know what Saab looks like, I'm pretty sure I have not broken anything in a while, and I'm certainly not complaining)?

I got my current bike used and this is the first time I've owned Campy Record anything, I came over from Shimano-DA which I've been riding since I was in college and was (nearly) under 80 kilos, but I don't think Shimano has any weight limits, maybe it's a mistake for me to be using this stuff. This was the first I heard of any weight limit on Campy (no boxes...though I probably would not have read them anyway), I generally shy away from ultralight stuff, and as I said, this is probably not the post for me.

No rant, just taking advantage of all the knowledge available around here...as always. No need to drop the "f" bomb.

:beer:

But f-off with the b!tching about it.

g

Grant McLean
01-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Fair enough Grant, I did not mean to bring on a "little rant," and this is something you've been thinking about for a while. Who is the "heavy non-racer type" complaining about a failure you are referring to?

No man, i wasn't referring to anyone here, I was just raving in general.
I hear about it at the shop where I work all the time. People want to
know how many grams something is, and then they tell you how crap
it is because they saw a photo of one on the internet broken.

sorry if you thought I aimed that at you!

:)

g

DRZRM
01-31-2007, 02:37 PM
No worries, just checkin'.

No man, i wasn't referring to anyone here, I was just raving in general.
I hear about it at the shop where I work all the time. People want to
know how many grams something is, and then they tell you how crap
it is because they saw a photo of one on the internet broken.

sorry if you thought I aimed that at you!

:)

g

stevep
01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
grant,
calm down boy.
youre making me nervous.

the biggest problem with carbon posts is:
they are slightly irregular diameters..this can make it difficult to properly tighten in a frame.
think 27.2 alluminum...simple. machine it to 27.2 and you're in.
think 27.2 carbon... has to be machined to allow for a coat of clear something. this oftem means its a little over or a little under...and can mean not perfectly round.
over is easy... a little steel wool on the lower... easy.
under is more problematic... needs to be a little extra tight to hold.
this causes the crack as in saabs post above.
the tacx stuff is an aid in the direction of reducing over tightening.

most/ many carbon posts are in proper tolerance..but the above might happen more than you think.

Grant McLean
01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
grant,
calm down boy.
youre making me nervous.

I'm goin' get me a show on 'Fox news'
and then sell a book!

g

vaxn8r
01-31-2007, 03:55 PM
grant,
calm down boy.
youre making me nervous.

the biggest problem with carbon posts is:
they are slightly irregular diameters..this can make it difficult to properly tighten in a frame.
think 27.2 alluminum...simple. machine it to 27.2 and you're in.
think 27.2 carbon... has to be machined to allow for a coat of clear something. this oftem means its a little over or a little under...and can mean not perfectly round.
over is easy... a little steel wool on the lower... easy.
under is more problematic... needs to be a little extra tight to hold.
this causes the crack as in saabs post above.
the tacx stuff is an aid in the direction of reducing over tightening.

most/ many carbon posts are in proper tolerance..but the above might happen more than you think.
I think you're on to something there. I had issues with two different Deda Blacksticks on my Calfee. Switched to a Thompson which worked perfectly but took grief for the next 2 years about it's fugliness, bowed to peer pressure and got a Specialized Pave. No problems and it's good looking too, if I do say so.

Just a couple of notes to confirm prior postings. When the first Blackstick kept slipping I overtightend until I cracked it. I was pissed but it was my own fault.

Tacx CF compound works great and it doesn't freeze your post. I highly recommend using it.

William
01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.genevievecartoons.com/cartoons/toon.2005/2004.12/BrokenCauldron.jpg

don'TreadOnMe
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Does something like the Campy asymmetric seatpost clamp help w/over-tightening issues as well? Looks like it provides more evenly applied pressure to the entire seattube clamping area.

don'TreadOnMe

stevep
01-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Does something like the Campy asymmetric seatpost clamp help w/over-tightening issues as well? Looks like it provides more evenly applied pressure to the entire seattube clamping area.

don'TreadOnMe

should help.
use the tacx shiite...will help more.

this stuff is available from fsa now. those dodos showed it to me 2 years ago and they would not package it... hahaha the world is full of idiots.
i shoulda stolen some from the booth and done it myself... coulda made another $150 last year! just on the stuff tt is using.
id be rich, have a big car and not have to ride the fool bike around all the time.

Too Tall
01-31-2007, 04:32 PM
getagrip

m_moses
02-02-2007, 06:50 AM
I had a Deda carbon seatpost that split exactly like Saab's. I replaced it with an Easton model that had a flat section that ran the length of the post (see photo). This seemed to eliminate the pinch point. However, l had to junk that post when teeth used to adjust saddle tilt rounded off.

sspielman
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM

don'TreadOnMe

Exactly....It helps....The idea of the Campag clamp is to provide the clamping force in a direction tangential to the circumfrerence of the seatpost...as opposed to concentrating alot of the force at the split in the seattube. Another way to accomplish this is to turn a regular seatclamp backward on the seattube..That solution is not as aesthetically pleasing, but it works.
Clamping a carbon seatpost can be a tricky business, so it pays to take every precaution/preparation. It also is a perfect application for a good torque wrench...

T-Crush
02-02-2007, 11:54 AM
So they look neat and absorb some vibration. The last thing I want to contemplate while rushing downhill at the limits of common sense is seatpost failure.

At my weight (225 on a real good day), they are not on my "approved" list. A Thomson setback post, in one piece, is not uglier than a snapped post, especially when you factor in the unsightly soft tissue damage, ATMO.

djg
02-02-2007, 01:20 PM

g

I guess I get the general point--folks who hit the scales at 2-fitty maybe ought not to count grams all that closely when building bikes for recreational riding, except perhaps to stay away from certain ultra-light gear.

OTOH, although I'm not over 180, I am close, and I'm not a pro racer. I have 5 year old record on my road bike and it has held up very well--I bought it because I wanted it and I haven't been disappointed. The seat post aside, I really don't regard record parts as disposable at all.

BTW, I've got a Look carbon seatpost on the same bike--not ultra-light at all but it's a good post and the tacx stuff works well.

I agree about the F1 though--the driveway is definitely what kept me from nabbing one.

DRZRM
02-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Well,

This thread gave me a lot to think about, and I've spent some time looking at various reviews and reports on seatposts. I'm about 215 pounds, I'll probably be closer to 200 when spring hits, and the potential downside of CF failure does not really seem worth it to me, especially given that the Thomson Masterpiece is lighter than just about any of the CF posts. I have two Thomson posts coming in (1 Masterpiece, one Elite, thanks Classifieds) and will have two CF posts going out (1 Record, 1 Easton EC70). The thing that finally sold me was not the concern that a post will eventually fail, I don't expect things to last forever, but that CF is likely to fail completely without much warning. Seems that when the Thomsons do fail, they fail at the clamp by bending (Thomson calls it a fuse) rather than snapping off. At least you can stop your bike, generally you can ride it home.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like an ad for Thomson, I mostly wanted to thank you guys for making me think about basic safety before it was crucial rather than after.

Cheers, :beer:

Zach

mike p
02-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Thomson probably makes the best quality post out there I just wish they'd make one with setback in the head and not that ben't thing.

Mike

DRZRM
02-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, it takes some getting used to, but I don't think the Thomsons are as ugly as some folks do. I'll have to see it on my bike to be sure, but I'm OK with that bent post.

Marcusaurelius
02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I am not sure how legitimate the 80kg weight limit is. I know one custom frame builder who puts campagnolo record on their high end loaded touring bike and has been this for many years without a problem. Also the local campagnolo dealer builds many touring bikes with campagnolo triple parts and has never had a problem.

Carbon fiber seats of course are a different beast. I always prefer durability over supposed weight savings.

DRZRM
02-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I was only talking about seatposts, I'm not about to part out my group (though I was always perfectly happy on my DA-10).

vaxn8r
02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I am not sure how legitimate the 80kg weight limit is. I know one custom frame builder who puts campagnolo record on their high end loaded touring bike and has been this for many years without a problem. Also the local campagnolo dealer builds many touring bikes with campagnolo triple parts and has never had a problem.

Carbon fiber seats of course are a different beast. I always prefer durability over supposed weight savings.
Co-Motion specs Record 10 on their tandems as well. Specifically that means shifters, chains, brakes (short reach of course) and derailleurs. Too bad no Campy tandem cranks...or Shimano for that matter.

Xyzzy
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I "creased" a Record seatpost the other day. I only tightened it to 55inoz, but it has always been a "loose" fit in my seat tube so I suppose the stress was concentrated near the clamp. The crease, at this point, is cosmetic (I think) but I am replacing it because I don't trust it. I did use the asymmetrical clamp provided by Campy. (The frame is an 05 Six13. It is being warrantied right now. I have heard through the rumor mill that the three-carbon-tubed Six13s have had seat tube issues. Previously, it cracked two USE Alien posts but those are so lightweight that just looking at them wrong makes them go bad.)

I expect I'll get a Thompson Masterpiece. I have three questions:

1) Can I use a regular ordinary symmetrical clamp on it? (I think they look better.)

2) If, for some reason, I have to twist the post to remove it sometime, how prone are the Thompsons to getting those little scratches? (I know not to twist, but sometimes...)

3) Everyone says the head is the best thing since sliced bread. IMO, I can't visualize anything simpler than the Record head. What's the deal with the Thompson head?

I may try to match it up with an X2 stem. Does anyone know how well the two look together? I really think it is classy when the stem and seatpost are matched. (I bet finding a 130mm -17° X2 will take some time.)

Thanks!

PS - I run an aluminum stem and bars already. I'm slowly losing my confidence in carbon fiber in mission critical areas.

regularguy412
03-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I've always been an American Classic seatpost fan. Basic, one-piece aluminum and a one-bolt clamp ( and one set screw for tilt ).

I'm getting a new Ouzo Pro fork with carbon steerer. Will be my first foray into the non-quill stem generation. I've selected the Oval aluminum stem to clamp on the steerer. It comes in silver or black, multiple lengths and in both of the common bar clamp sizes. Look here for an example :

http://www.ovalconcepts.com/img/dettProdotti/46__big.jpg

Mike in AR

Xyzzy
03-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I've seriously considered the Oval Concepts, but:

1) Their seatposts suck, so no matched system for me.

2) It looks hard to get a torque wrench on those backwards bolts on the stems.

3) They aren't exactly common items at most stores.

4) I think the stem is a bit ugly, but that is IMO.

5) They still max out at 130mm -17° so I gain nothing I can't get with a Thomson, or my old FSA OS-115 for that matter.

AgilisMerlin
03-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Thomson probably makes the best quality post out there I just wish they'd make one with setback in the head and not that ben't thing.

Mike

i like my dura ace post. :D

amerliN

Tommasini
03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
There sure seems to be a bunch up people concerned.....

This household has room for both shimano and campagnolo. But please get it straight that Campy doesn't have a weight "limit", just a recommendation that if you are not a "typical" fit racer type (i.e. you are carrying around more than 80 kg of body weight) that you need to inspect the condition of your equipment a bit more often (and I might add that an uber light bike should be a secondary priority for you).

Duh

End of rant.