PDA

View Full Version : ebay purchase question - Crank creak creak creak

R3awak3n
10-12-2018, 07:06 PM
So my OPEN saga still continues. After my chain suck problems and then trying a campy crank and not fitting, then a Rotor crank and it not being the right crank I now installed an FSA powerbox crank. Got a good deal off ebay, nice cheap powermeter. All is great, installed, shifts great (who woulda thunk, FSA rings are great?!?!?) all is great and then I go for a ride. CREAK CREAK CREAK.

I know what this is, BB for sure. I am using a rotor BB386 bracket, one of the ones that screws into itself... I have used them before and never a creak. But it had to be from the BB. So I get home and greased everything a lot, creaks, then remove the BB, install again and creak. So then I decide, why not put my rotor crank on (can't use it on the road because it sits too far out but I can test the bike with it)... Silence. No problems with the rotor crank.

So it turns out, it seems like it is the damn FSA crankset. I also found this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqRSkQGwWo

In the comments some people with a powerbox say the same thing.

So I emailed the seller asking him if it used to creak before he sold it and if he knows anything about it (hell, he could have thought it was his BB too). He has not answered yet but I am thinking about doing a return. At the same time I am thinking, if he never had this problem or he maybe never even used the crank, he is going to think I am full of crap and just don't want the crank anymore. I am also 99% sure it is the crank and not anything else on the bike. Am I thinking too much and should just return the damn thing?

duff_duffy
10-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I’d return but offer to pay shipping both ways if that’s an option.

R3awak3n
10-12-2018, 07:37 PM
I’d return but offer to pay shipping both ways if that’s an option.

Yeah I would totally pay shipping, not a big deal. Specially if he did not know about it. My wife said, well you used it so tou cant return it now but to me its not somethinf I would know was bad unless I actually used it

jtakeda
10-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Was it new?

Is this a problem with the crank just being made poorly and it’s a manufacturing issue or did the seller wear the bearings down so much it creaks?

Spdntrxi
10-12-2018, 08:01 PM
I would check the chainring bolts... and I kinda agree with your wife.

R3awak3n
10-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Was it new?

Is this a problem with the crank just being made poorly and it’s a manufacturing issue or did the seller wear the bearings down so much it creaks?

was not new but looked close to new to me. Not sure what the problem is and why the crank is creaking. I did check chainring bolts and they are tight just fine so its not that. Nothing else to check in the crank (oh, pedals, I put different pedals on, still creaks).

R3awak3n
10-12-2018, 08:02 PM
I would check the chainring bolts... and I kinda agree with your wife.

by used it, I mean 1 ride of 20 miles... Creaked the whole damn ride.

Rekalcitrant
10-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Does it have a lock-ring that secures the power meter onto the crank arm? If so, can that be removed and cleaned and tightened down again? I’ve had Rotor cranks with a power2max meter that creaked at that point, and I think the powerbox is the same thing rebranded; I just don’t know how the attachment to the crank arm works.

R3awak3n
10-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Does it have a lock-ring that secures the power meter onto the crank arm? If so, can that be removed and cleaned and tightened down again? I’ve had Rotor cranks with a power2max meter that creaked at that point, and I think the powerbox is the same thing rebranded; I just don’t know how the attachment to the crank arm works.

It does have that lockring... It could be that but I don't even have the tool to remove that (usually also a pain to remove since always very tight with loctite)... Also if its not that I am still SOL

zzy
10-12-2018, 08:35 PM
did you buy it from ebauman? :p

R3awak3n
10-12-2018, 08:44 PM
did you buy it from ebauman? :p

lol. :hello:

eric01
10-14-2018, 07:41 AM
My two cents, after installing and riding it — even a short ride — you can’t return it.

R3awak3n
10-14-2018, 02:41 PM
My two cents, after installing and riding it — even a short ride — you can’t return it.

he has assured me that it did not creak so I choose to believe in people and am going to keep it and take the hit... I am going to message FSA and see what they say.

kramnnim
10-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Adding this to my list of reasons to not buy FSA stuff... :eek:

R3awak3n
10-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Adding this to my list of reasons to not buy FSA stuff... :eek:

haha. I mean, every brand has its problems and for the price I paid, for a crank with a power2max meter, its a bargain so there is that. Also, the rings shift amazing. I could not believe I was shifting FSA rings, they were as good as any campy or praxis or sram or shimano I ever used, seriously.

I am taking it to FSA CS, lets see if they want to help or not.

bobswire
10-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Did you try using a different set of shoes/cleats, I've had the annoying creak noise and took me awhile before realizing it was the shoe/cleat combination.

R3awak3n
10-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Did you try using a different set of shoes/cleats, I've had the annoying creak noise and took me awhile before realizing it was the shoe/cleat combination.

I did :(

kramnnim
10-14-2018, 07:54 PM
I figured it would be the spider/arm interface, but the video seems to indicate that it's the arm/spindle... Do both arms detach from the spindle, or is one permanently attached?

R3awak3n
10-14-2018, 07:56 PM
I figured it would be the spider/arm interface, but the video seems to indicate that it's the arm/spindle... Do both arms detach from the spindle, or is one permanently attached?

1 seems permanently attached. But hey, maybe I will just upgrade the arms to carbon (but with my luck on this bike, they will probably also creak or break) :mad:

kramnnim
10-14-2018, 09:45 PM
FSA has a bad history of pedal inserts coming loose from their carbon arms...