PDA

View Full Version : Help out Swoop

Keith A
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
No, he's not collecting money to race next year :D but he would like input on the color scheme for his new ride. So I've photoshop'd some images for him and he and I have been going back and forth making modifications. Here's what I have come up with so far. Let us know what you think.

Wayne77
11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
one vote for #2

Karin Kirk
11-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Nice photoshopping work Keith! I like the 2nd and the 5th because the green is integrated into the whole frame that way. Looks cool and racy. The sharp green is a fun color.

Climb01742
11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
my two cents...bright striking colors are best used sparingly. so i'd vote for half the fork and just green accent bands elsewhere. what i don't think you've quite nailed yet is how to handle the seven logo panel on the down tube. none of the options seem quite right yet. when in doubt, simplify. do you need a seven logo on the downtube?

swoop
11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
i'm a minimalist.. i'm liking the last one. by the time i load up the sponsor logos i think keeping it simple will rock.
andrew.. if this looks too much like i'm promoting a competitor just say so. it's not in that spirit... but i don't want to offend.

Keith A
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I like the 2nd and the 5th because the green is integrated into the whole frame that way. Looks cool and racy.I'm with you on this and these are my favorites as well.

swoop
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
my two cents...bright striking colors are best used sparingly. so i'd vote for half the fork and just green accent bands elsewhere. what i don't think you've quite nailed yet is how to handle the seven logo panel on the down tube. none of the options seem quite right yet. when in doubt, simplify. do you need a seven logo on the downtube?

i think if the downtube logo were white and just a black outline.. or even green outline.. it would look better too.

1centaur
11-09-2006, 11:07 AM
The green is so horrible I'd vote for anything that minimizes it. That would be #1 (if there must be green, get it off the fork and just use the bands from the last one).

rsl
11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I like the last one too. The second one is pretty nice as well. One of the first bikes that ever really took my breath away was a steel seven with a lightblue/white/platinum scheme similar to the second image. Either way, Should be a sharp bike!

swoop
11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
The green is so horrible I'd vote for anything that minimizes it. That would be #1.

tehehehehehaaahahahaha! granny smith green on a little crack.

swoop
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
The green is so horrible I'd vote for anything that minimizes it. That would be #1.

this is the first time i've even had the chance to race a dream bike. i love eliums.

it has to match this kit. and there's a little green in it. it also matches the green in the shop sponsors logo that i wont put here because they don't sell serottas.

i've been 'racing' in blue kit for 3 years.. trying to shake things up.

christian
11-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm really confused. You're going to be racing for Seven, but you're designing the color scheme? Wouldn't Seven want to have a hand in that? What about your teammates? And I guess I prefer 5.

- Christian

Keith A
11-09-2006, 11:24 AM

Keith A
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM

swoop
11-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm really confused. You're going to be racing for Seven, but you're designing the color scheme? Wouldn't Seven want to have a hand in that? What about your teammates? And I guess I prefer 5.

- Christian

they do. pm me if you have any questions. who said anything abut team mates? lets just keep it about paint.. i'll explain in a pm if you have any questions about the set up.

swoop
11-09-2006, 11:33 AM
oops. double post.

crossjunkee
11-09-2006, 11:46 AM
The 5th one is pretty cool.

William
11-09-2006, 11:51 AM
5th one's a charm.

William

dirtdigger88
11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
I like this one too- but I would carry the green on the TT back farther towards the seat post- to cover up the last bit of carbon showing on the TT

then the green would flow better with the down tube and not have that last bit of black-

oh and change the angle of the black stripe on the down tube the other way- it will then flow with the ones in front AND you can tie that in with the TT

Jason

Louis
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM
If I had to choose from the options I'd go with #5

More of my opinion:

On several of the options the color looks too much like an afterthought and just doesn't go with the rest of the scheme. If you want just a tiny bit of color then use it in the decals.

obtuse
11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
oops. double post.

easy.

green fork. green headtube back three inches down the down tube and two inches or so along the top tube. paint the rest of the rest of the bike white.

believe me this will be much better.

obtuse

davids
11-09-2006, 05:38 PM
This one. But paint the entire carbon portion of the top tube green. I likey.

1centaur
11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
obtuse has taste and is heading in the right direction. Too much of this and that draws the eye to the "that" that's green :) Make the rest white and it becomes the nice white bike with the unfortunate green part.

But if perfection is the goal, less a little green for sponsorship, then green at the top and bottom of the HT, on the lower 4 inches of the fork and make the "seven" green or green outline and you'd have something decent looking and identifiable from the front or side as the sponsor's bike. The rest white.

Sandy
11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Nice photoshopping work Keith! I like the 2nd and the 5th because the green is integrated into the whole frame that way. Looks cool and racy. The sharp green is a fun color.

I agree with both Karin and Keith. Better balance and a smoother integrated look. However, I would pick another color.

Silver Sandy

Ginger
11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
If you're going for a touch different...I like the second one...

Looks like you rode through a puddle of green goo!

On the fifth, just the little bands of green don't do much for me...I'd add some green to the down tube logo...

saab2000
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Personally, I have always liked the industrial look of Seven's carbon tubes and joints. The smoothest bike I ever rode was an Odonata.

If it were mine I would just leave the carbon parts carbon colored and the metal parts metal colored.

Do the colors represent your club/team colors?

If it has to be colored, I like the white, but am not quite sure about the green.

Just my $.02

PS - I do not have a good eye for this stuff. My nice looking bikes were designed and painted by someone other than myself.

Keith A
11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Do the colors represent your club/team colors?His team kit will be the Seven blue and green that is shown on the first page. I didn't get the green just right, it will be a lighter shade of the granny smith green that I was using.

Ginger
11-09-2006, 07:48 PM
So...I'm slower with photoshop than Keith...I think I'd get rid of the little green band on the TT if I did it this way too...

dekindy
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I like Keith A's blue, white, and red. Substitute the grey for the blue and the green for the red. The lettering on the top tube and down tube could have a white background with grey or black letters. Grey or a Multi-colored tape might look good.

I would leave the carbon? exposed on the joint(seat stay/chain stay, bottom bracket, top tube/down tub) like the one for the top tube/seat tube/seat stay joint.

I would at least want to see what this looks like.

fstrthnu
11-09-2006, 08:26 PM
easy.

green fork. green headtube back three inches down the down tube and two inches or so along the top tube. paint the rest of the rest of the bike white.

believe me this will be much better.

obtuse

This but with green coming up from the rear dropouts to the seat stays(2-3? inches) and chain stays (2-3? inches). Synchronicity imho.

Fstrthnu

Ginger
11-09-2006, 08:32 PM
my box of crayons is keeping me busy this evening...
obviously not busy enough...

swoop
11-10-2006, 12:11 AM
i like these two bikes. even though the kgsn is gaudy... i always thought it was rad. i like the partial painted. but i also see yer point very clearly and am stepping beyond my comfort zone.
remember, my training bike is plain as can be.

i could ditch the green altogether and do the metallic blue.. i was just looking for something difficult but hot too (like me).

Cary Ford
11-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Doooode...you know what I think. Lose the green and the white, unless you have to keep it. Then it doesn't really matter...

Los Posas Road on Sunday?

swoop
11-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Doooode...you know what I think. Lose the green and the white, unless you have to keep it. Then it doesn't really matter...

Los Posas Road on Sunday?

we'll see... as for sunday.. well i've got 5 hours on saturday in z3 and 3 on sunday in z1. so las posas is doable but we gotta soft pedal the rollers to keep it in z1... i could add on a few miles... it wont kill me.
i could use company saturday... probably looking at mulholland easy... and i dunno.. i'll figure it out. maybe one of the canyons further north.

cs124
11-10-2006, 05:46 AM
do seven and oval use the same, er, "supplier"? this stem and post look kinda familiar...

oh, and the colours... mostly white, exposed cf and ti on the rear triangle, 3/4 white fork with exposed cf lower section, granny green panel on the down tube, white lettering with black outline.

after 3 glasses of coonawarra cab sav I can't be arsed with photoshop...sorry.

Keith A
11-10-2006, 07:55 AM
i like these two bikes. even though the kgsn is gaudy... i always thought it was rad. i like the partial painted. but i also see yer point very clearly and am stepping beyond my comfort zone.
remember, my training bike is plain as can be.

i could ditch the green altogether and do the metallic blue.. i was just looking for something difficult but hot too (like me).Swoop,

IMO, I would stick with the white and green instead of the blue. I think the white/green combo will go nicely with the team kit and will provide a little contrast rather blending in. I know that green (especially this shade) isn't everyone's favorite -- but I think it works.

I think you have a number of good options here. If you like the white/black Serotta then just do the same, but use green/blue accent stripes. However, the kgsn scheme might work if you use white instead of yellow...hmmmm....

swoop
11-10-2006, 08:51 AM
do seven and oval use the same, er, "supplier"? this stem and post look kinda familiar...

oh, and the colours... mostly white, exposed cf and ti on the rear triangle, 3/4 white fork with exposed cf lower section, granny green panel on the down tube, white lettering with black outline.

after 3 glasses of coonawarra cab sav I can't be arsed with photoshop...sorry.

yes on oval.

davids
11-10-2006, 08:53 AM
i could ditch the green altogether and do the metallic blue.. i was just looking for something difficult but hot too (like me).
No, no, no! This is a racer, and it should be VIVID and HOT. Keep the green, swoop! Don't let the voices of reason talk you out of it! You're on the right track.

musgravecycles
11-10-2006, 01:44 PM
listen to obtuse and fasterthanme they know what they are talking about...

swoop
11-10-2006, 01:49 PM
listen to obtuse and fasterthanme they know what they are talking about...

never trust anyone that knows what they are talking about.. i should know. i know what i'm talking about.

i can't recommend enough this thing i like to do: it's called trust yourself. if you trust yourself enough you take everything in and come away with something that's yours.
i trust everyone else. i just trust them to be themselves.

i'd go camping with obtuse and fstrnthnu.... but i'd check the chilli for dna. that i trust.

swoop
11-12-2006, 02:00 PM
i dialed the geen to match the kit and i'm gonna do it this way. thanks for all the feedback. i'll post the bike when it shows up in real life....

Simon Q
11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
i dialed the geen to match the kit and i'm gonna do it this way. thanks for all the feedback. i'll post the bike when it shows up in real life....

The ice vs bright green looks great, nice work. Very, very sweet looking machine and photos never seem to do Ti bikes justice.

Dare I ask - will the TT slope like in the pic? I used to be a flat TT man but I prefer a gentle incline nowadays.

manet
11-14-2006, 07:03 PM

my mother taught me to keep my trap shut if all i have is negative things to say, but she sucks, so you get my opinion.

the last pic confuses me. it's all a jumble, like looking into a fastener bin at your local big box home repair store. but i'm sure once you hop on it, resplendent in your martha stewart toned threads all will make sense.

swoop
11-14-2006, 08:56 PM
The ice vs bright green looks great, nice work. Very, very sweet looking machine and photos never seem to do Ti bikes justice.

Dare I ask - will the TT slope like in the pic? I used to be a flat TT man but I prefer a gentle incline nowadays.

7 degree slope, 80 degree stem. the stem, the top tube and the bottom of the saddle will all be the same angle.

swoop
11-14-2006, 08:59 PM
my mother taught me to keep my trap shut if all i have is negative things to say, but she sucks, so you get my opinion.

the last pic confuses me. it's all a jumble, like looking into a fastener bin at your local big box home repair store. but i'm sure once you hop on it, resplendent in your martha stewart toned threads all will make sense.

all said with love.. the one thing i learned art directing films and tv commercials... was never show a fool unfinished work (we're all the fool).

trust me..the end result will make sense. this is just a thing i needed to get there. at this point though.... it's not clear which kit ill be in....and if it isn't certain by the time the bike is ready.. it will just be plain.

pdxmech13
11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Me likes the last one lots. :beer: :beer: