PDA

View Full Version : Off-the-Shelf Steel All-Road options

RobJ
10-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Putting aside the long list of custom builders, what are the options for ready-built standard geo steel all-road frames? My definition of all-road for this use is steel, disc frame with clearance for 700x38/40 and a mostly road geometry. Not looking for a backpacking/adventure bike with mongo clearance, low BB and extremely sloping TT etc.

Another caveat: This is a search for alternatives to custom, so not looking at the likes of Gunnar, Soma, BlackMountain, TwinSix etc.

I've been doing my searches, but I am sure this great community has other options that I have not stumbled across. Thanks!

rnhood
10-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Jamis Renegade. A lot of bike for the money.

macaroon
10-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Fairlight Secan

brownhound
10-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Another caveat: This is a search for alternatives to custom, so not looking at the likes of Gunnar, Soma, BlackMountain, TwinSix etc.

I don't understand this caveat. Aren't the bikes you listed stock production, i.e., alternatives to custom?

Seems All-City Cosmic Stallion et al. would fall in the same range.

yinzerniner
10-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Niner RLT9 is the first that comes to mind - good finishing, wide availability, pretty decent price.

Ritchey Outback

Kona Rove NRB

Stoemper Eddy

Bombtrack Hook EXT

All City Cosmic Stallion / Space Horse

Norco Search XR

Surly Midnight Special / Straggler

Sure there's a bunch of others as well.

alembical
10-12-2018, 12:13 PM
I am happy with my Kona Rove ST. Not my raciest gravel bike, but very enjoyable to ride and worth a look. Mine is the 2019 with 650b, but there are some great deals (or at least were) on 2018 which had 700c

dbnm
10-12-2018, 12:14 PM
The new Trek 520?

Luwabra
10-12-2018, 12:16 PM
black mountain cycles road+ ?

chiasticon
10-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Stoemper Eddycouple things wrong: only 34mm tire clearance, cyclocross race geometry, and it's not an off-the-shelf frame. sizing may be stock (though custom is an option), but they're made one at a time by one guy. it's a three month (or more) wait.

anyway, don't think this is what the OP is after. but they are sweet bikes!

d_douglas
10-12-2018, 12:26 PM
I would aim for a Black Mountain myself. Those bikes look awesome.

I don't understand your comment about avoiding these - theyre stock frames, so I think this is what you are looking for? Just pay the $600 and they deliver the frame, right?

tctyres
10-12-2018, 12:35 PM

I don't understand this caveat. Aren't the bikes you listed stock production, i.e., alternatives to custom?

I don't understand your comment about avoiding these - theyre stock frames, so I think this is what you are looking for? Just pay the $600 and they deliver the frame, right?

I think the OP is looking for a full build rather than a frameset + piece/groupset build.

I would also throw down for a 105 Cannondale CAAD X, too. Not steel, but a decent full build that has reviewed well.

rccardr
10-12-2018, 01:22 PM
No love for Rivendell?

charliedid
10-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Niner RLT9 is the first that comes to mind - good finishing, wide availability, pretty decent price.

Ritchey Outback

Kona Rove NRB

Stoemper Eddy

Bombtrack Hook EXT

All City Cosmic Stallion / Space Horse

Norco Search XR

Surly Midnight Special / Straggler

Sure there's a bunch of others as well.

Rove ST - The NRB is aluminum with carbon fork. Good choice though. Both 650B

bward1028
10-12-2018, 01:52 PM
No love for Rivendell?

Not from a person looking for a modern bike with disc brakes.

v531xc
10-12-2018, 03:20 PM
To add to the good options already listed, I just came across the 509 Necessary Evil. Looks like a good frameset option in either stainless or ti for really affordable price. If they market this well, I suspect it'll sell really well.

https://509cycles.com/products/necessary-evil-frame/

And the Endpoint Coffee Grinder is a solid option if the tire clearance works for you.

bward1028
10-12-2018, 03:29 PM
And the Endpoint Coffee Grinder is a solid option if the tire clearance works for you.

...and you can wait til winter of 2019...

v531xc
10-12-2018, 03:32 PM
...and you can wait til winter of 2019...

True, although they just posted on Instagram this morning that they have some extras of some sizes. Not sure which sizes, but hey maybe it works out if someone is looking for that bike.

charliedid
10-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Putting aside the long list of custom builders, what are the options for ready-built standard geo steel all-road frames? My definition of all-road for this use is steel, disc frame with clearance for 700x38/40 and a mostly road geometry. Not looking for a backpacking/adventure bike with mongo clearance, low BB and extremely sloping TT etc.

I've been doing my searches, but I am sure this great community has other options that I have not stumbled across. Thanks!

What size? PM me.

merlinmurph
10-12-2018, 04:59 PM
How about a Honey (https://www.honeybikes.com/about-honey/steel/)?

KVN
10-12-2018, 05:41 PM
I can endorse the Black Mtn Road+. It has a really light and snappy feel, way more road-y than a purpose made gravel bike.

Another great option is the Flanimal