PDA

View Full Version : Setback or layback seat post?????

dsimon
10-12-2018, 05:54 AM
Can someone educate me on these I just bought a New to me Moots and it came with a "bent":banana: seat post. whats the deal does it help you if you need something closer to custom? Thanks

ChristianWong
10-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Setback seatposts are correct.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Can someone educate me on these I just bought a New to me Moots and it came with a "bent":banana: seat post. whats the deal does it help you if you need something closer to custom? Thanks

Depends on you, your dimensions as compared to the bike’s seat tube angle, top tube length and you femur length and torso/arm length. It kinda all starts with a very soft ‘constant’, general starting point called KOPS, knee over pedal spindle. Long femur, fairly steep seat tube angle, may need a set back seat post to get to that starting point. Opposite true, short femur, slack seat tube angle, might need a no set back/ straight seatpost to get there.

chiasticon
10-12-2018, 07:36 AM
Setback seatposts are correct.whatever gets your *ss in the right place is correct.

weisan
10-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Your butt can't tell the difference.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Your butt can't tell the difference.

See above, your knees can....

alancw3
10-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Depends on you, your dimensions as compared to the bike’s seat tube angle, top tube length and you femur length and torso/arm length. It kinda all starts with a very soft ‘constant’, general starting point called KOPS, knee over pedal spindle. Long femur, fairly steep seat tube angle, may need a set back seat post to get to that starting point. Opposite true, short femur, slack seat tube angle, might need a no set back/ straight seatpost to get there.

i agree with what he said. personally what has worked best for me is a non setback seat post.

93KgBike
10-12-2018, 10:19 AM
I think the only difference between a setback seatpost that uses a bend in the seatpost tube and one that uses a setback seat-clamp design is construction technique.

I'm hazarding a guess, but I don't think the amount of setback is that different between the two designs, assuming they are designed to achieve a certain setback. That is, they both achieve the same saddle position relative to the bottom bracket.

But the amount of setback a seatpost design accomplishes is a function of the desired fit of the hips-to-cranks given the design and purpose of the frame itself. I found this amusing graphic on the web:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Seatpost-Damping-1000x367.jpg

But this picture does not address seat tube angle.