PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Headset Bearings Not Seating?

brewsmith
10-11-2018, 05:07 PM
I am an admitted neophyte when it comes to integrated headsets, so apologies in advance if this is an obvious question.

I recently picked up a NOS Ti frame to build up for my wife and I am having a hell of a time with the headset.

I am attempting to install a Chorus integrated headset and the bearings will not seat in the frame. I already tried to install another integrated HS and ended up having to destroy the bearings to remove them as the fit is just way too tight, to the point that the install ruined the preload on the sealed bearing units. Everything I have read leads me to believe that the bearings should slip right in, but these absolutely will not. Are there integrated HS that need to have the bearing (semi) permanently pressed in, do I need to ream out the headtube, or is there something else I am missing?

Before I ruin another HS, I figured I'd reach out and see if anyone had any input. Thanks in advance!

For reference, this is what I am looking at with everything snugged down pretty darn tight:

https://i.postimg.cc/kghS7ckc/1011181557a.jpg

bikinchris
10-11-2018, 06:48 PM
The bearings should be finger tight, if that. I don't think that there is more than one size of these. Someone must make a tool to cut that to spec.

Peter P.
10-11-2018, 07:06 PM
No message.

Peter P.
10-11-2018, 07:08 PM
You don't say what brand frame you bought or what IS standard it's manufactured to. Can you provide printed specs that verify what the frame is supposed to fit?

Just because you're using a Chorus headset doesn't mean it's the correct headset for your frame. People make mistakes.

This information is necessary to help us diagnose your problem.

Black Dog
10-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Show pics with the bearing exposed by dropping the fork a bit. This will help us help you. A pic looking into the head tube with the fork and bearings removed will also be of some use.