PDA

View Full Version : SRAM etap on a Colorado II pink to orange fade

Jmaxwel8
10-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Anyone using a SRAM etap on a older steel frame. I know it’s probably against the grain but I think it would be cool.

I’m about to start tinkering with a Colorado II pink to orange fade. It currently has a Campy group that I will likely sell and want to replace it. I’ve seen some with Ultegra 6800 groups and they look great, but something totally different might be cool too.

I really need to get my 30 days with 30 Post on the forum so I can post in the classified...

P.S. I’ll post pics of the frame when it arrives. Should be sometime next week.

vqdriver
10-11-2018, 04:24 PM
i don't see why not. it's a bike, meant to be ridden and enjoyed by the owner. whatever maximizes your enjoyment of the miles, knock yourself out.

etap is the nuts btw.

bikinchris
10-11-2018, 06:44 PM
One of my wishes is to find a very old frame with clamp on shifters, cable guides etc. and take all of them off with a fresh multi color repaint highlighting the lugs. Then, install an eTap system. No cables, no drilling, no problem.

SoCalSteve
10-11-2018, 06:51 PM
My 2007 fillet brazed Kirk Terraplane has seen mechanical triple, mechanical compact double, external DI2, single speed and fixed and now it has ETap on it. All have worked perfectly fine on a steel bike.

AngryScientist
10-11-2018, 06:59 PM
I think for an older steel frame if you want electric; etap would be the best. No wires; junction boxes etc.

I think external wiring and those ugly boxes mounted under the stem are aesthetically damning; but wireless is stealthy cool.

ergott
10-11-2018, 07:43 PM
I just had a very special frame sent out for refinish and while at it I had the shifter braze-ons all removed so ready for eTap.

SoCalSteve
10-11-2018, 07:45 PM
I just had a very special frame sent out for refinish and while at it I had the shifter braze-ons all removed so ready for eTap.

When my Ottrott broke in half I had the refinishers remove all the braze-one as well.

Jmaxwel8
10-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Where do you have something like that done. Are there companies that refinish bikes? I’ve never looked into it

ergott
10-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Where do you have something like that done. Are there companies that refinish bikes? I’ve never looked into it

No.22 bikes did the removal of frame bits for me and Velocolour just finished the paint. Can't wait to see it up close and of course ride it!

Andy sti
10-11-2018, 08:56 PM
No.22 bikes did the removal of frame bits for me and Velocolour just finished the paint. Can't wait to see it up close and of course ride it!

Saw it on their Insta - looks awesome!!

happycampyer
10-11-2018, 09:34 PM
Imagine a cross between this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-TF7QXxW/0/2f1ec206/XL/i-TF7QXxW-XL.jpg

and this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CxCvbb7/0/2a7e256e/XL/i-CxCvbb7-XL.jpg

The headtube on the Legend had a crack and I had it replaced with a headtube without cable guides. I had the rear derailleur cable guide removed at the same time to tidy it up.

Either one of these could easily be my only bike. The eTap has been great for travel.

Jmaxwel8
10-12-2018, 08:00 AM

I wish I had never asked this question. I checked out their website and now I feel the need to send them a frame. It’s cool what some people can do.