PDA

View Full Version : DA 7700 downtube shifters

91Bear
10-11-2018, 02:14 PM
I went for a ride on Monday and noticed that my left downtube shifter kept going when I pushed it forward. I could rotate it downward, almost perpendicular to the downtube (pointing down.) I could swear it used to stop parallel with the downtube.

Should it have a stop? If so, what has broken and how do I fix it?

zzy
10-11-2018, 02:18 PM
May just be a loose retaining screw. If not, disassemble it and check that the lever is seated correctly against the notched curved washer.

Big Dan
10-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Check the manual for mounting tips.
When you mount the left one should be pointing down.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Didn’t 7700 have the ‘feature’ of being partially ‘up’ when in small ring position. When mounting with the base plate ‘tab’ forward, you had to wind the lever up so it sat against the stop but was partially ‘aft’.

91Bear
10-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Check the manual for mounting tips.
When you mount the left one should be pointing down.

Unfortunately, I don't have the manual.

Big Dan
10-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Didn’t 7700 have the ‘feature’ of being partially ‘up’ when in small ring position. When mounting with the base plate ‘tab’ forward, you had to wind the lever up so it sat against the stop but was partially ‘aft’.

That's the deal. The tab on the plastic base has to be facing forward.
Mount the shifter pointing down and bring it up counter clockwise.

https://i.imgur.com/LF5H1Oj.jpg

91Bear
10-11-2018, 05:16 PM
You turn the lever counter-clockwise "In the direction of A?"

That doesn't make sense. I thought it rotated clockwise.

I'll try it when I get home.

dddd
10-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Counter-clockwise is correct, it winds up the spring so that it assists with shifting to the big ring.

Then tighten the screw so that it holds it's position, and lastly tension the cable so that it's nearly taut when the lever is slammed forward.

jemdet
10-11-2018, 06:39 PM
You turn the lever counter-clockwise "In the direction of A?"

That doesn't make sense. I thought it rotated clockwise.

I'll try it when I get home.

It adds tension opposite the forces of pedaling. Friction shifters can slip under load.

Black Dog
10-11-2018, 07:17 PM
This design has remained unchanged since DA 7400 in the mid eighties. Make sure that the lever fixing bolt has not become very loose. In operation it should be tightened to the point that it almost stops the lever from moving freely under the load of the spring. This often requires some locktight to prevent it from working loose. This allows the lever to keep constant tension (zero slack) on the FD cable so that front shifts to the big ring are quick and somewhat aided by the lever.

91Bear
10-13-2018, 11:44 AM
I wish the diagram showed the cable. Do you mount the shifter before installing the cable? (Sorry if that's a dumb question.)

Big Dan
10-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Secure shifter and then insert the cable.
Remember the shifter is going to end up like the picture.

R3awak3n
10-13-2018, 12:05 PM
ah, so looking at that diagram, I totally had my front shifter installed wrong ahha. Just fixed, much better now.

I had the cables already on there so no, you can mount the shifter with the cables installed.

Just put the shifter like in fig 2 and then turn it counter clockwise (you will feel spring tension. Do it till the shifter cant move anymore, tighten the nut. Now set the shifter up.

91Bear
10-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Thank you all for your assistance. I fixed it myself. I probably could not have without your advice.