PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sigh...ebay used to be fun...

C40_guy
10-10-2018, 01:51 PM
What is wrong with people? Sold a new Apple keyboard for $76, 4 days later opened a "Buyer didn't pay" case. Then I get this from the buyer...

Read from the bottom up...

Whatever.

saab2000
10-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Report the buyer to eBay and re-list the item. Not much more to do than that.

Nooch
10-10-2018, 01:59 PM
what a freaking child...

edit: also, I'll give ya $50 ;)

peanutgallery
10-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Probably the same person that spent 15 hours at our ski swap before she dropped $75 on a used race boot (mens)

C40_guy
10-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Report the buyer to eBay and re-list the item. Not much more to do than that.

Right. If I follow the rules, technically I have to wait 4 days to close the Non-Paying Buyer report, then I receive fee reimbursement and can relist. I can't even make a second chance offer to the next bidder (at $1 lower) yet....

I will close the report in 4 days, but I've already listed the item again (as a new listing). I think the insertion fee is $.35, so I'm okay with that....

It just sucks that meatheads pull this crap. I wish I could block all buyers with less than 20 positive feedbacks...

veggieburger
10-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Not sure if you can do this any longer, but you used to be able to look up the contact details of your buyer. I once had a #$%@#$% do something like this so I gave him a call and asked why he would bid on something, not pay and waste my time. Guy paid that evening.

Spaghetti Legs
10-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Same people that do dooshy stuff everywhere else do it on eBay.

My jerk-experience in real life has probably mirrored that of eBay, if fact eBay might even be a little better. I once tracked down a seller who was trying to stiff me on a bike and I sent an email to his work address. I got the bike after that.

thwart
10-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Childish at best.

Nyah, nyah... you can't make me...

Buyers are completely in charge at eBay nowadays... however even given that crazy (but apparently more profitable) dynamic... missing here: "Sorry about that. Apologize for the inconvenience."

Clean39T
10-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Had the opposite just recently. Won an auction for a reasonable, but somewhat low price. Sent an email to the seller to confirm condition and shipping expectations prior to payment - I've had a number of "not as described" problems lately and definitely didn't want to get a frameset that's been packed inappropriately - and the seller came back with a snarky comment about how low of a price it sold for and that he wanted me to pay for insured shipping. That made me lose all confidence, so I was thinking a bit more before paying. Got another email from the seller - still under 24hrs since the auction ended - saying he didn't want to sell to me. Good riddance I guess, but eBay keeps telling me to pay still..

Sigh. Humans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jaybee
10-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Had the opposite just recently. Won an auction for a reasonable, but somewhat low price. Sent an email to the seller to confirm condition and shipping expectations prior to payment - I've had a number of "not as described" problems lately and definitely didn't want to get a frameset that's been packed inappropriately - and the seller came back with a snarky comment about how low of a price it sold for and that he wanted me to pay for insured shipping. That made me lose all confidence, so I was thinking a bit more before paying. Got another email from the seller - still under 24hrs since the auction ended - saying he didn't want to sell to me. Good riddance I guess, but eBay keeps telling me to pay still..

Sigh. Humans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Isn't "I don't want to sell for less than X" what reserve prices and BIN are for? ****ty.

thunderworks
10-10-2018, 02:50 PM
I have been a seller (and a buyer) on eBay for many years. Like most marketing opportunities, there are both good and bad attributes attached to the opportunity - in this case the opportunity is eBay.

Lots of dickheads out there. Bike geeks. Computer geeks. You name it. Lots of weird folks. . . but I try not to lose sight of the reality that without eBay, what I sell would not get in front of millions of pairs of eyeballs. I would not be able to successfully sell what I do without the eBay platform.

Does it come with problems - of course it does. Wish it didn't - fortunately, it's a minor enough and infrequent enough problem that the opportunity to get in front of such a huge market is worth the hassle.

YMMV

Clean39T
10-10-2018, 02:59 PM
I have been a seller (and a buyer) on eBay for many years. Like most marketing opportunities, there are both good and bad attributes attached to the opportunity - in this case the opportunity is eBay.

Lots of dickheads out there. Bike geeks. Computer geeks. You name it. Lots of weird folks. . . but I try not to lose sight of the reality that without eBay, what I sell would not get in front of millions of pairs of eyeballs. I would not be able to successfully sell what I do without the eBay platform.

Does it come with problems - of course it does. Wish it didn't - fortunately, it's a minor enough and infrequent enough problem that the opportunity to get in front of such a huge market is worth the hassle.

YMMV

Facebook groups aren't perfect, but they are another option. And exist for most anything you might be interested in..

Clean39T
10-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Isn't "I don't want to sell for less than X" what reserve prices and BIN are for? ****ty.

That's probably (will-power dependent) the last offer I ever put in on a carbon anything without knowing and vetting the seller beforehand. Just not worth it. Too much can go wrong, and potentially without you even knowing it - shipping damage or stress to the carbon I mean. Some things are just better bought in person and/or with warranties. As much as my cheapskate self wants a deal, my OCD self seems to be winning out...

shortwaveradio
10-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Everyone has a tinge of weird and everyone can sometimes be the occasional asshole. Ebay is where you run the risk of running into a lot of very weird huge assholes. It's pretty unfortunate.

thunderworks
10-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Everyone has a tinge of weird and everyone can sometimes be the occasional asshole. Ebay is where you run the risk of running into a lot of very weird huge assholes. It's pretty unfortunate.

I actually think you could make that statement about any retail work environment.

shortwaveradio
10-10-2018, 03:10 PM
I actually think you could make that statement about any retail work environment.

If I can slander my own environment, as a former bike shop employee I heartily endorse this statement.

A bike tech's three least favorite words: "I'm an engineer."

peanutgallery
10-10-2018, 05:56 PM
I like to correct them

It's enginer

If I can slander my own environment, as a former bike shop employee I heartily endorse this statement.

HenryA
10-10-2018, 06:09 PM
eBay has done this to themselves. Creating a whole new model and a set of “laws” to suit their very flawed model. I will laugh out loud when they go down the bankruptcy hole.

In the beginning it was fun, but as they “refined” the model it became more and more unworkable. Just noticed they are running TV ads now trying to keep the thing from circling down the drain.

I trust them absolutley to do the wrong thing. It takes a lot of work to get this far into general disregard. But they’ve done it.

AngryScientist
10-10-2018, 06:11 PM
The anonominity of the internet is a convenient excuse for people to forget common courtesy.

It’s sad. All we can do is hold ourselves to a higher standard and roll with the punches.

unterhausen
10-10-2018, 06:26 PM
A bike tech's three least favorite words: "I'm an engineer."I worked as a bike mechanic for 10 years. One of my favorite bike mechanic moments was when an engineering grad student decided he could build a wheel because, "I'm an engineer." I laughed to his face. And he was back a week later with a half-built wheel.

I was an engineering undergrad at the time, and now I have a Ph.D. in engineering.

Luwabra
10-10-2018, 06:28 PM
I bought a frame on a best offer type bid.. I figured in the high flat rate shipping and was ok w my number. Accepted,shipped, received, then dude refunds me 75$ of the shipping difference without telling me a week later!!! There are still good people out there but the assholes have the majority

Black Dog
10-10-2018, 06:30 PM

This made me laugh. I dread those words as a builder and carpenter. I usually respond by saying how interesting it must be to drive trains then act disappointed when they explain what kind of engineer they are. For the record some of my closest friends are engineers and are not like this but they don’t deny the stereotypes. :)

Tony T
10-10-2018, 07:06 PM
ebay is never fun.
I only use it when I can't get what I'm looking for anywhere else, and then only if "Buy it now"
Too many use paid services to get the item $1 more than your bid (that was the high bid for 5 days) in the last second :(

fignon's barber
10-11-2018, 06:17 AM
ebay is never fun.
I only use it when I can't get what I'm looking for anywhere else, and then only if "Buy it now"
Too many use paid services to get the item $1 more than your bid (that was the high bid for 5 days) in the last second :(

Naaahh, ebay still has its great wins. Just last week, I found an out-of-print book I'd been looking for, but refused to pay $250-$300 for a used one. A brand new one popped up: got it for $8.95!

oldpotatoe
10-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Yup, a saying we had in USN, “there’s always 5%”...i once sold a used BB on eBay to a guy...advertised as ‘used’ like 4 times in ad, he gave me negative feedback, ‘bottom bracket was used’...Whaddayagonnado?..

oldpotatoe
10-11-2018, 06:48 AM

Or, ‘are you sure’....:)

Hellgate
10-11-2018, 07:10 AM

A bike tech's three least favorite words: "I'm an engineer."My favorite response was, "Oh cool, which railroad do you work for?"

unterhausen
10-11-2018, 08:29 AM
My favorite response was, "Oh cool, which railroad do you work for?"

in the U.K., "engineer" means "machinist," so that's another misunderstanding you could have. Although it occurs to me that kind of engineer probably has their own unjustly elevated opinion of their ability to wrench on bikes.

Mark McM
10-11-2018, 09:14 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/b6/7d/1eb67d0cb05a142eaceb507b38ffec5a.jpg

C40_guy
10-16-2018, 11:29 AM
To close this thread...

The original (non) buyer with a total of three feedback entries now has an unpaid buyer strike on their ebay account.

Meanwhile, a nice fellow with 177 entries, all positive, won the auction for the keyboard last night and paid immediately.

The keyboard is already on its way to its new owner.

...and the second auction ended a few dollars higher than the original. :)

Ozz
10-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Maybe eBay should amend the user agreement so that buyers who do not honor their bids can be easily referred to Collections....

If nothing else, blowing up their credit score might make you feel better.....:cool:

chiasticon
10-16-2018, 01:37 PM
I wish I could block all buyers with less than 20 positive feedbacks...I'm 99% sure you can. you can definitely limit who's allowed to bid and who's not. you should look into that...

non paying bidders suck. I also hate people that bid feverishly on an item while it's closing, then wait a week to pay you (bidding now for Friday's paycheck, I guess).

my favorite way to list an item is to set it at $.01 and just let it ride (no reserve, no buy it now). I usually get more than I thought I would this way. downside: a million idiots messaging you to sell it outright for next to nothing.

C40_guy
10-16-2018, 02:18 PM
I'm 99% sure you can. you can definitely limit who's allowed to bid and who's not. you should look into that...

non paying bidders suck. I also hate people that bid feverishly on an item while it's closing, then wait a week to pay you (bidding now for Friday's paycheck, I guess).

my favorite way to list an item is to set it at $.01 and just let it ride (no reserve, no buy it now). I usually get more than I thought I would this way. downside: a million idiots messaging you to sell it outright for next to nothing.

You can block anyone who has 2 or more unpaid strikes against them. I'd like to block anyone who has less than a good number of positive feedbacks. In my listings I include a statement that I will cancel bids for people with no feedback unless they contact me prior to bidding. Looks like I'll have to start enforcing that. :) (and then block them).

With regard to $.01 no reserves, I've had some good results that way and have given some stuff away at stupid-low prices...

MrCannonCam
10-16-2018, 04:24 PM
You can block anyone who has 2 or more unpaid strikes against them. I'd like to block anyone who has less than a good number of positive feedbacks. In my listings I include a statement that I will cancel bids for people with no feedback unless they contact me prior to bidding. Looks like I'll have to start enforcing that. :) (and then block them).

With regard to $.01 no reserves, I've had some good results that way and have given some stuff away at stupid-low prices...

Hard to have any will to include a reserve price with how much ebay charges to have one any more....

It's unfortunate but my disclaimer on all of my ads has grown to be a hefty mini novel. Have dealt with so many morons on the 'bay over the years that it has to. It does get items in front of a big audience but sometimes I question is it really worth it... Of late have done pretty good (knock on wood, and the odd case over the past few years have gone in my favor due to good photos and underselling along with the disclaimer), but there's always that one once in awhile that makes me think twice about selling anything there....plus their fees just keep climbing....