PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tapeless Tapedeck? - Streaming content

William
10-10-2018, 09:13 AM
I'm torn, part of me thinks this is cool, but another part of me just thinks...why?

I can see it if you like the vintage aesthetics or to go with other vintage components but otherwise...

On/off with play toggle, volume control, and ability to run to speakers/amp/reciever with RCA plugs is nice. Cassette visual/interface is cool as well the ability to run your preferred streaming service.

What say the forum audio collective? Yay or nay? :)

Nikko ND 390 II as MP3/FLAC player - Tapeless Deck Project
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=kOiQvj07qIQ

Homepage
http://www.mp3tapelessdeck.pl/index.html#.W74IpC0-Inc

William

William
10-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Phoning it in? :p

William

ntb1001
10-10-2018, 06:48 PM
I love it...I still use my old Denon amp and Studio Lab speakers I bought in 1988, but with a dock and iPod for music. That would look really cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
10-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Brilliant marketing, asinine waste of resources. Wish I'd thought of it.

William
10-10-2018, 09:16 PM
I love it...I still use my old Denon amp and Studio Lab speakers I bought in 1988, but with a dock and iPod for music. That would look really cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!:cool:

That particular Nikko (he apparently does this to many different vintage decks) with the vertical meters would go well with my V-3RX. Just need to put it in a cabinet...

William

jtakeda
10-10-2018, 09:17 PM
I really thought more people would chime in and didn’t want to be negative but

NO

Just pure marketing and hoping to pull at your poor nostalgic heartstrings.

It seems silly to build an analog hifi set up and then plug your iPhone into a faux tape deck

William
10-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Brilliant marketing, asinine waste of resources. Wish I'd thought of it.

I know, I hate it but I also like it. Nostalgic heartstrings for sure.

William

schwa86
10-11-2018, 05:46 AM
I wonder if it occaisionally eats your iPhone?

paredown
10-11-2018, 07:25 AM

LOL. Remember seeing unspooled cassette tapes at the side of the road--some driver getting mad and just pitching them out the window?

joev
10-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Wow. I'm conflicted on this one. I have an old Nakamichi deck...one of their lower end models...that I hadn't listened too in a bit. It would be cool to see something like that re-purposed. Kind of like taking a vintage frame and putting electronic shifting and aero wheels on it. Hmmm...I think I'll check out some of my old mix tapes.

Ozz
10-11-2018, 08:05 AM
I prefer tactile controls over touchscreens....so I think it is cool.....unnecessary, but cool.

William
10-11-2018, 10:46 AM

LOL. Remember seeing unspooled cassette tapes at the side of the road--some driver getting mad and just pitching them out the window?

You know how Pandora will sometimes stop the music stream and ask if you are still listening if you have let it play for a while but not interacted with it (like, dislike, forward, etc...)? I think it would be funny if it visually represented the tape unspooling if you haven't interacted with it for a while. "Hey, you still listening?"...better fix that. :)

William

93KgBike
10-11-2018, 11:03 AM
hmm... but can it play actual cassette tapes, too:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/419DA1q3AqL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

djg
10-11-2018, 08:24 PM
What the . . . at first I thought it was a cassette deck plus a digital music player, but . . . I guess not.

I mean, I don't see anything wrong with it for a certain look, and maybe it's sort of amusing too, although I don't know for how long. But I guess I'm more in the "why" camp.

Is there a box for my phone where the whole thing looks like a working Revox reel-to-reel tape deck but actually sounds like my phone, which would be very large but not as good as a tape deck?

cash05458
10-12-2018, 11:27 AM
well, if convenient then do it...but you are going from analogue to digital and if ok it is just fine...then of course every single thing about analogue is gone....and you might as well go digital as it is just converting...so take your pick.

William
10-12-2018, 11:30 AM
well, if convenient then do it...but you are going from analogue to digital and if ok it is just fine...then of course every single thing about analogue is gone....and you might as well go digital as it is just converting...so take your pick.

No reason you can't run both. Not an "in place of...", but rather an "in addition to...".

William