PDA

View Full Version : What’s happening at Rapha? An interview with founder Simon Mottram

oldpotatoe
10-10-2018, 07:22 AM
With thanks to CyclingTips

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/whats-happening-at-rapha-an-interview-with-founder-simon-mottram/

livingminimal
10-10-2018, 07:28 AM
All ye haters gather and make stupid commentary.

Tickdoc
10-10-2018, 07:57 AM
$

avalonracing
10-10-2018, 08:04 AM
All ye haters gather and make stupid commentary.

And all ye fanboys circle the wagons. "We MUST DEFEND the honor of clothing brand!"

jr59
10-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Did this interview even say anything? This guy could me a politician! A lot of words to say I’m great, but no real substance, besides if a clubhouse doesn’t turn a profit we close it! REALLY?

I like most of the gear they sell, I enjoy their short films, although they seem overproduced, I like their concept, EXCEPT their studs never fit me! Being a big sized guy, I could never fit in any of their gear. At 6’4” and 250, (well used to be anyway) their stuff never fit. I think they could add another layer to their bottom line by having stuff that fit large sized guys. I mean all the guys buying high end bikes aren’t between 125 and 185 lbs

R3awak3n
10-10-2018, 08:23 AM
And all ye fanboys circle the wagons. "We MUST DEFEND the honor of clothing brand!"

I think the threads go more this way.

RAPHA is terrible, overpriced, stole from the cycling heritage.

then some people will go, the clothes are great quality, customer service is great and at the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't see it as fanboyism, more like people that just buy the stuff and use it, vs people that hate it for some reason. But I bet someone will call me a fanboy now because I don't hate the brand and have a few pieces from it.

@jr59 - yeah the interview was meh I agree. But I am with you on wishing they had a bigger size. Its a hit or miss with the XXL, sometimes fits great, sometimes its too small.

avalonracing
10-10-2018, 08:45 AM
I really don't care one way or the other. I have tried some Rapha, it didn't work for me. I've had some great inexpensive clothes and some lousy expensive clothes... and vice-versa. I just don't understand an allegiance to ANY brand (that one doesn't have a personal financial interest).

dbnm
10-10-2018, 08:58 AM
This is just so ridiculous.

Grown men who give a $hit what other grown men wear when cycling.

Get over it.

livingminimal
10-10-2018, 09:37 AM
This is just so ridiculous.

Grown men who give a $hit what other grown men wear when cycling.

Get over it.

Women ride bikes too.

avalonracing
10-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Women ride bikes too.

Well, the cool ones do.

fiamme red
10-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Interesting quotes:

What’s driven Rapha on is a passion for the sport and a massive frustration that the rest of the world thinks it’s rubbish. And that it’s way smaller than it should be. It should be a huge lifestyle. It should be a recognized, respected, admired, desired lifestyle because it is.Good luck making road cycling a huge lifestyle. Greg and Lance couldn't do it, and Vaughters' team certainly won't do it.

So I think if you think back 15 years, there wasn’t really a premium cycling market. There were some expensive bikes but there wasn’t really a premium cycling market. I think more than any other brand we’ve probably driven that market. And it’s allowed a whole load of people to come in and have a good time and lots of people have done some nice things.I don't understand what this means. Assos, Castelli, etc. were not premium products?

MattTuck
10-10-2018, 10:20 AM
... I just don't understand an allegiance to ANY brand (that one doesn't have a personal financial interest).

I mean, this is major thread drift, but... this goes back to our sociological roots as a species. Being part of a group is a powerful psychological force. Brands stand for products, sure. But clothing brands, things you display on your body become part of your outward presentation to the world, and thus take on an amplified significance.

Won't get into in-group bias, or anything, but what you see at a (I'd argue) very low level with regards to Rapha are the same basic psychological forces that lead to us vs. them debates writ large in society.

benb
10-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Sounds more like when he says "Premium" he's really saying "Luxury", cause that's really what I see Rapha marketing as. Stuff like Assos seems to want to do this a little too but they're more subtle about it as they're really marketing more on the performance side and less on the status/fashion side.

They're trying to sell it as Luxury cycling apparel. Pay the bucks, wear the clothes, pay even more to join RCC, get taken care of by their employees, hang out in the clubhouse with the other luxury cyclists, etc..

Seems like a well worn valid formula taken from many other retail areas.. just not necessarily going to hit home on all cyclists.

The whole idea of associating with a group of cyclists based on clothing brand versus anything else is very interesting, but our sport is pretty consumer biased anyway with constantly shuffling expensive bikes and parts.

Some of the other stuff this element is trying to associate with cycling like sipping on expensive coffee drinks is equally weird when you separate yourself from it for a moment.

makoti
10-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Interesting quotes:
I don't understand what this means. Assos, Castelli, etc. were not premium products?

Products, yes. Market, maybe not. A market is different from items existing. I think Rapha, whatever you might think of them, did a good job getting people to part with more money for clothing than their competitors did. More created the market, if you will. 15 years ago, I'd never see anyone in a full kit of expensive clothing. Bibs, maybe. A jersey, once in a while. Bibs, jersey, gloves, socks, and shoes? No.

54ny77
10-10-2018, 11:06 AM
I like turtles.

fiamme red
10-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Products, yes. Market, maybe not. A market is different from items existing. I think Rapha, whatever you might think of them, did a good job getting people to part with more money for clothing than their competitors did. More created the market, if you will. 15 years ago, I'd never see anyone in a full kit of expensive clothing. Bibs, maybe. A jersey, once in a while. Bibs, jersey, gloves, socks, and shoes? No.I remember riding with club members over 15 years ago who wore Assos jackets, jerseys, shorts, socks, and gloves.

There has always been a premium cycling market. Aren't Shimano Dura-Ace and Campagnolo Record premium products, that offer very marginal gains over Ultegra and Chorus for a lot more money?

CunegoFan
10-10-2018, 11:26 AM
I cannot wait for the Professor Plum outfits Rapha will design for Vaughters. Maybe they will come with a Rapha signature pipe.

Or maybe they'll just stick him in their City line.

livingminimal
10-10-2018, 11:40 AM
loving these comments. Keep em coming.

avalonracing
10-10-2018, 12:14 PM
I mean, this is major thread drift, but... this goes back to our sociological roots as a species. Being part of a group is a powerful psychological force.

Well said, Matt. For the record, I do understand it. I guess I should have said that I think it's silly.

It made me think of this:

The flag is a symbol of the fact that man is still a herd animal.- Albert Einstein

velofinds
10-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Gonna predict this thread will go to hmm, 5 pages.

livingminimal
10-11-2018, 08:38 AM
email to the list this morning, Rapha is going back into partnership with retailers. Starting with Wiggle.

adrien
10-11-2018, 09:24 AM
email to the list this morning, Rapha is going back into partnership with retailers. Starting with Wiggle.

The extent to which this will cut into their own direct sales and especially the clubhouses is a wee bit worrying. Why pay retail when you know Wiggle will discount it?

Also: now, luggage.

livingminimal
10-11-2018, 09:34 AM
The extent to which this will cut into their own direct sales and especially the clubhouses is a wee bit worrying. Why pay retail when you know Wiggle will discount it?

Had various forms of luggage for awhile.

R3awak3n
10-11-2018, 09:45 AM

I bet wiggle is not going to get the whole range.

pdmtong
10-15-2018, 05:32 PM
It's actually a solid choice especially with the affordable $135 price point. Fit is pretty good and potentially on my list if my commute goes through the spring https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181015/1c77c4be2c1f46700fb2f55a4168fa7f.jpg

AngryScientist
10-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Anyone else on the Mini Cooper email list. New collaboration there too.

Grant McLean
10-15-2018, 11:55 PM
I don't understand what this means. Assos, Castelli, etc. were not premium products?

in the mid 2000's? Assos were mostly space suits.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/5d/32/485d321b8791c3b6ff6785f8eaf2a563.jpg

weisan
10-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Hi Grant pal!

fiamme red
10-16-2018, 08:57 AM
I guess that the "limited edition" Rapha for Apple products didn't sell very well in Apple stores (the average Apple store customer has never heard of Rapha). Now you can buy them directly from Rapha: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/collections/rapha-for-apple/category/Apple.

fiamme red
10-16-2018, 09:03 AM
in the mid 2000's? Assos were mostly space suits.At least the hi-viz yellow is a useful touch.

I caught up to a cyclist at a traffic light a couple of days ago after dusk. He was dressed head-to-toe in black (except pink socks), and sure enough it was all Rapha. He only had a weak blinky and was not conspicuous from a distance.

Grant McLean
10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
I caught up to a cyclist at a traffic light a couple of days ago after dusk. He was dressed head-to-toe in black (except pink socks), and sure enough it was all Rapha.

Compared to Assos, Rapha has a rainbow of colours in outerwear.

-g

andeww
10-16-2018, 12:19 PM
All black is super in right now. Everyone looks like a bunch of ninjas around here