PDA

View Full Version : mt bike fork

ejh
11-08-2006, 07:18 PM
looking for some advice on a new fork for my mt bike I'm about 160# and do x-country riding. I'm riding a giant NSR2. Thanks, Eric.

Marburg
11-08-2006, 08:43 PM
I think the Fox forks are pretty nice. Probably a Float?

That said, I understand the RS and Manitou forks are much better than they used to be. Marzocchi's stock seems to be in decline...

DRZRM
11-08-2006, 09:16 PM
From what I've read, the White Bros XC (maybe called a Magic this year?) is supposed to be the bomb (if a bit pricy) when I finally upgrade, that's what I'm going to get.

ZRM

Archibald
11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
For your NRS, you don't want more than about a 100mm travel fork on it. The new'ish Rockshox Reba's are nice and tend to be cheaper than Fox and WB's..by alot especially if you can find an '06 on closeout. Zoke, in my opinion, just doesn't have good XC type fork as they seem to focus on the longer travel, burlier, forks. WB's new Magic motion control has been getting some decent reviews but it's still wrapped in the same old dry white toast package and a pricey one at that.

Bottom line, I'd go with the Reba and if you're really just 160 and you're more worried about saving weight than rockin' the rough trails, I go with a SID.

zap
11-09-2006, 08:40 AM
snipped

Bottom line, I'd go with the Reba and if you're really just 160 and you're more worried about saving weight than rockin' the rough trails, I go with a SID.

I second that.

The '06 & '07 sids have the latest guts. Sid's work best with v brakes while the stiffer reba would be a better chioce if using disc brakes.

pdonk
11-09-2006, 09:19 AM
I am a big fan of marzocchi forks. They just seem to work and work and rarely need a full rebuild. They have tonnes of options from relatively light to full on DH forks at various price levels.

zank
11-09-2006, 09:46 AM
What are your goals? Lightweight? Ultra plush? Lockout? What length travel?

The Reba Race or WC is a great all around fork, the race being one of hte best values on the market right now. Fox and White Bros are more plush. Pace is the ultra whiz bang high zoot weight weenie fork right now, and they just got bought up by DT Swiss so more good stuff is on the way.

So many good choices, so few bikes to put them on.

gt6267a
11-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Fox and White Bros are more plush.

I am about to reveal some ignorance of mtn biking, but exactly what do you mean by more plush? If the forks have the same travel and are adjustable via air pressure, how is one more plush than another? Rebound? Something that I am not getting …

zank
11-09-2006, 10:01 AM
They are a little easier to get into their initial stroke. They react a little more to smaller bumps.

DRZRM
11-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Archibald,

I love the way the WB look, so if that's white toast, bring it on. As for the question on plush, don't the Magics have a lock out which keep them from engaging until you have a hit of a certain size? That way they are not saggy until you actually need the travel? I have not ridden one yet, but it seemed like a cool design, I know a few other brands are doing the same thing this year.

I'd love to hear back from people who've ridden them. I still have a B-2 Bomber on my Moots (yeah, I know, but it still works) which has served me well, but I'm thinking about an upgrade this year. I'm 6'3'' around 215, so I need a beefy fork, and everything is XC, I'm too old to drop off of anything but my barstool.

:beer:

Sorry to jack your post ejh.

Zach

Archibald
11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Archibald,

I love the way the WB look, so if that's white toast, bring it on. As for the question on plush, don't the Magics have a lock out which keep them from engaging until you have a hit of a certain size? That way they are not saggy until you actually need the travel? I have not ridden one yet, but it seemed like a cool design, I know a few other brands are doing the same thing this year.

I'd love to hear back from people who've ridden them. I still have a B-2 Bomber on my Moots (yeah, I know, but it still works) which has served me well, but I'm thinking about an upgrade this year. I'm 6'3'' around 215, so I need a beefy fork, and everything is XC, I'm too old to drop off of anything but my barstool.

:beer:

Sorry to jack your post ejh.

Zach
Sorry DR, I'm just reminded of all the bad WB fork experiences I had in the 90's everytime I see one. Same reason I'd never marry a woman who looked like my ex-wife. :banana:

If they could update it, maybe I could get over it. I had a lot of bad experiences with RS too, but the new Pikes and Boxxers (DH) changed my mind about them. If they still looked like a 90's Judy (remember when Judy's were the sheit?) I'd still be avoiding them like the plague.

The WB Magic is some sort of magnetic valve that pops off at a certain level so you get motion control/anti-bob going on under pedaling. Not a lot different than the Fox Terralogic in its feel but all of them give that little jolt before smoothing out. I pass. Give me a lockout for the long climbs where I have to get out of the saddle often but even then, I rarely use them.

Zokes are awesome forks, their big forks are among the very best, but their XC forks are always off the back for the last several years in both feel and weight. The Fox Floats & Vanilla's are the best mid-travel QR forks in my opinion, but pricey for the average Joe. Rebas aren't far behind in performance and have some outstanding features.

christian
11-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there a website that offers spring rates for common forks, along with how/whether they are adjustable for compression damping, rebound damping, and sag?