PDA

View Full Version : Fizik R1 or Ritchey C220 stem??

Jmaxwel8
10-08-2018, 05:37 PM
So I would like to change out my stem on a serotta TI I’m finishing up. I like the looks of both these stems. Just wanted to see if there was a concensus about if one stem is preferred. No one in my area sells them so I’m just judging based off of pictures on the internet.

joosttx
10-08-2018, 05:47 PM
So I would like to change out my stem on a serotta TI I’m finishing up. I like the looks of both these stems. Just wanted to see if there was a concensus about if one stem is preferred. No one in my area sells them so I’m just judging based off of pictures on the internet.

I really like the R1. Quality torx bolts and it feels good. I have no experience with ritchey

R3awak3n
10-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Not a fan of the c220, bulky and kind of ugly. Much prefer the older 4axis which can easily still be found... or the c260 which is awesome but kind of annoying to set up

RobJ
10-08-2018, 06:05 PM

I’ve used the Ritchey and don’t personally care for the C versions. The clamp portion of the stem wraps around the bar so the only way to mount/unmount the bars is to slide them them through the clamp/stem. So once they’re mounted, shifters on and taped you can’t remove the bars unless you undo all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exonerv
10-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Agree with RobJ...sold my Ritchey c for the reasons he mentioned. Have Fizik stems on my top 4 road bikes...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cgolvin
10-08-2018, 06:42 PM
I’ve used the Ritchey and don’t personally care for the C versions. The clamp portion of the stem wraps around the bar so the only way to mount/unmount the bars is to slide them them through the clamp/stem. So once they’re mounted, shifters on and taped you can’t remove the bars unless you undo all that work.

I agree that the C stems are a pain in this regard, but to be fair if you want to remove the bars isn't it only a matter of unwrapping enough tape to slide the stem over to the narrower section? At least that was my experience with the C260 I have -- which, hassle aside, I really like the look of and it's quite light. I think another downside is that they don't work with flat top bars (though I haven't tried).

OP: in case that doesn't dissuade you and you're inclined to go Ritchey, I have a C260 110/6 and a 4Axis 120/6 that are surplus to my needs.

jtbadge
10-08-2018, 06:45 PM
FWIW with my C260 stem Ritchey NeoClassic bars, I don't have to unwrap any of the bartape or otherwise do anything unusual to install the bars.

The only part I don't like about it is that my torque wrench doesn't fit with the unusual approach angle, so I have to tighten the bolts by feel. Hasn't been a real issue with alloy bars.

cgolvin
10-08-2018, 06:51 PM
OK, I feel obliged to come clean and admit my own stupidity.

When I first got my C260 I mounted it up and could not for the life of me figure out why the clamp wasn't tightening the bars down. I ended up ruining the torx bolts before I looked at a photo and realized that the bolts are oriented toward the front of the bike rather than the usual way. :no:

What an idiot.

charliedid
10-08-2018, 07:48 PM
OK, I feel obliged to come clean and admit my own stupidity.

When I first got my C260 I mounted it up and could not for the life of me figure out why the clamp wasn't tightening the bars down. I ended up ruining the torx bolts before I looked at a photo and realized that the bolts are oriented toward the front of the bike rather than the usual way. :no:

What an idiot.

Not hard to do....I stopped short.

I rode it for a couple months on a new bike and it was such a PITA I crushed it in a vice.

Never again.

Jmaxwel8
10-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Thanks for everyone’s input. I think I will stick with the fizik stem... assuming I can find one at a decent price.

zap
10-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Fizik is a nice stem........and you can add the barfly stem mount to keep the hbar free of unsightly clutter.

lhuerta
10-09-2018, 09:54 AM
...just an FYI, the clamp section arc on the new C220 stems are different then the older C260 stems. The arc is smaller and unwrapping bars to install is NOT necessary...i.e. the clamp only covers 220 degrees of the arc, compared to previous 260 degree. Also, the 220 drops the 3 bolt steertube clamp and returns to 2-bolts, resulting in a bit sleeker look...IMO

charliedid
10-09-2018, 10:12 AM
...just an FYI, the clamp section arc on the new C220 stems are different then the older C260 stems. The arc is smaller and unwrapping bars to install is NOT necessary...i.e. the clamp only covers 220 degrees of the arc, compared to previous 260 degree. Also, the 220 drops the 3 bolt steertube clamp and returns to 2-bolts, resulting in a bit sleeker look...IMO

Good info. Thanks

joosttx
10-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Thanks for everyone’s input. I think I will stick with the fizik stem... assuming I can find one at a decent price.

I think I have a 120mm at a great price. PM me

pdonk
10-09-2018, 03:13 PM
I think I have a 120mm at a great price. PM me

I know I have here, 120 by -20, if that is what you need send me a PM

Dino Suegiù
10-09-2018, 03:56 PM
I never tried the Ritchey "C" stems, but in my experience the Fizik stems (and bars/post too) are really all excellent, even after years. They look nicer than the Ritchey also, I think.