PDA

View Full Version : Cane Creek eeSilk gravel seatpost

dem
10-08-2018, 08:22 AM
I had been waiting for this to ship since I saw it announced. The one thing gravel bikes with small tires are terrible at is washboard, surprise ruts, etc. Really just gets abusive to the backside. :)

I already wore out an Ergon CF3 knock-off from China - so I definitely don't recommend those (the carbon pivot holes actually ovalized out and the whole thing got wobbly.. admittedly even Ergon calls it a "road" seatpost.)

Took the eeSilk out on a maiden voyage yesterday for ~60 miles of washboard and ridiculous riding and was impressed. Did not notice any obvious bob, and it let me stay seated and pedal through stuff that was previously quite unpleasant. Feels sorta similar to riding much larger tires, without the downside of the larger tires on pavement.

Only issues: Only 8 degree setback, and it is chunky enough you can't really use a seat pack that requires a strap that wraps around the seatpost.

Worth the 60-80 gram weight penalty and ~$250 cost? After one ride for me, yes, but my riding has also been described as pretty stupid. :)

eddief
10-08-2018, 08:49 AM
https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-seatpost

jamesau
10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Looks like a minimalist version of their time-proven Thudbuster and seems like a product that fits in with the gravel-bike times we're in.

I've an original Thudbuster on my old hardtail; it works as advertised.

CC has always been great by me, both with their products and service.