PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Disk Rim Recommendation

jambee
10-08-2018, 02:27 AM
I am looking to build a winter wheel set. For my main ride I prefer 28 inch rims as opposed to 27.5 (tried, did not work out well). The frame was designed around 700c 45mm wheels.

My current wheel set is a DT Swiss laced to Pacenti SL25. They are amazing. Just this weekend they survived a crash where the wheel in front of me did not (DT Swiss rim. Video here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bolwm0_BZ_M/?taken-by=jambi)
My front wheel remained true.

For my winter wheels I'm looking for something wider than the 20mm internal width of the Pacenti. I'm also looking for something affordable and easily replaceable (e.g. HED is out since they do not sell in Germany AND are insanely expensive).

Any recommendation for wide, stiff and light disk rims? Currently looking at DT Swiss (which model?), Easton, WTB, Hope, Newman.

Davist
10-08-2018, 04:13 AM
you may wish to add the H plus Son Hydra to the list, I had the archetypes and liked them, these are a little wider (25mm) and reasonably priced https://www.bikehubstore.com/h-plus-son-hydra-p/hydra.htm

jambee
10-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. The reason I did not consider them is that their internal width is "only" 20mm. That is the same width as my Pacenti SL25 and I am looking for something much wider (23-25mm internal width).

ergott
10-08-2018, 06:27 AM
Can you get WTB rims in Germany? They come in a lot of widths including a 25mm and 29mm to start. Look into the KOM series or Frequency if you want heavy duty.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2018, 06:47 AM
I am looking to build a winter wheel set. For my main ride I prefer 28 inch rims as opposed to 27.5 (tried, did not work out well). The frame was designed around 700c 45mm wheels.

My current wheel set is a DT Swiss laced to Pacenti SL25. They are amazing. Just this weekend they survived a crash where the wheel in front of me did not (DT Swiss rim. Video here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bolwm0_BZ_M/?taken-by=jambi)
My front wheel remained true.

For my winter wheels I'm looking for something wider than the 20mm internal width of the Pacenti. I'm also looking for something affordable and easily replaceable (e.g. HED is out since they do not sell in Germany AND are insanely expensive).

Any recommendation for wide, stiff and light disk rims? Currently looking at DT Swiss (which model?), Easton, WTB, Hope, Newman.

Velocity Blunt..26mm inner width
H+Son Hydra
DT361, 391
Not sure if you can get Velocity in Europe tho.

jambee
10-08-2018, 08:00 AM
I have two wheel sets using Velocity. One is BluntSS which I love and the other is more "road"with Aileron 650B.

I'm thinking that BluntSS is too wide for the application which is why the Easton ARC (24mm internal width) caught my eye.

The other option I was thinking about is DT Swiss XM 421.

Which ones are stiffer?

Andy sti
10-08-2018, 08:11 AM
You keep mentioning a stiff rim, are you considering carbon? Have you looked at Light Bicycle’s offerings?

jambee
10-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Carbon is out. Too expensive.

marciero
10-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Between the WTB and Easton/Race Face you can choose i23, 24, 25, or 27 (or higher in the the Arc but you dont need or want that.) I have the Arc i27 in 27.5. That is a sweet spot for the 48mm tires I am running on that bike.

jambee
10-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Yeh, I'm also looking at these. They all have roughly the same weight so it's a hard decision. Looking at our wheel builder community to indicate which ones will be ideal...:banana:

oldpotatoe
10-08-2018, 03:09 PM
I have two wheel sets using Velocity. One is BluntSS which I love and the other is more "road"with Aileron 650B.

I'm thinking that BluntSS is too wide for the application which is why the Easton ARC (24mm internal width) caught my eye.

The other option I was thinking about is DT Swiss XM 421.

Which ones are stiffer?

421 pretty light rim, no such thing as a free lunch.

owly
10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
BOR's Outlet page (Germany) is worth keeping an eye on for discounted rims.
Unfortunately they currently only have the 333 (19mm Inner) available.

Their 333 WIDE+ would be suitable but the price is way up there.