PDA

View Full Version : Triathlete Eats.

itsflantastic
11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Decided I'm going to start training for triathlons. I've been doing a lot of physical training, and I've read a lot of books on the matter. I've noticed many differeing opinions on which diet produces maximum endurance and output.
The popular ones seem to be the Stone Age diet (no grain), and the hi grain/low meat diet. Of course all the diets seem to point to the obvious as well: lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, berries, etc. No processed foods.

Since the Stone Age one and the more Macrobiotic -type diet are just about binary opposites, I thought I'd look for some advice from anyone here with experience in this area.

Any thoughts?

BoulderGeek
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't know anything about proper nutrition for sport. I have a few books on the subject, but never read them.

Last summer when I decided to do triathlons, I mainly dropped processed sugar, cut my beer intake to 25% of normal, and increased my water intake 300%.

I was still fat when I raced.

As in most things, I advocate balance.

Tom
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Don't adhere to any diet that has a name.

Fixed
11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I remenber reading about scott molina eating 20 chocolate pancakes and then training for 6 hours.
cheers

itsflantastic
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
We have a winner.

Too Tall
11-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Now that Tom is one smart guy...good advice :) I don't believe in diets. This might sound like I'm giving you short shrift however, you prolly know what is and is not a good diet, There are no magic bullets. This is a game involving the sum of the parts.

If there are two diet related things an endurance athlete can do daily that give huge benefit they are: recovery drink, hydration.

Again...what do I know? If you are goal oriented ,you certainly are, than measure progress and maintain your lifestyle...be the happy camper grasshopper ;) When you are doing well and seeing prgress than eating habits not conducive to great performance as an athlete tend to go by the wayside....feel me?

ATNO(tm)