PDA

View Full Version : Modern black brake tracks (HED Ardennes Black)?

mt2u77
10-07-2018, 11:21 PM
It seems like there has been a resurgence in “anodized” brake track rims. I put that in quotes because I’m not sure it’s actually anodizing anymore. I admit they look nice new (thinking HED Ardennes Black specifically), but are they any better in terms of longevity and aesthetics than the last time we did this in the 90s?

My only experience is with some old Velocity Aeroheads, and I remember the braking being poor and the rim quickly looking like crap until all the anodizing wore off evenly.

It seems like it “has” to wear through eventually. So does anyone have a long term review of the HED Ardennes Black or Jet Black? How long do they actually stay black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyan
10-08-2018, 12:39 AM
There have been a few models from different manufacturers (e.g. HED, DT Swiss, Campy/Fulcrum, Boyd, Tune, etc.). I think most of them use more or less the same process that coats a textured ceramic layer while some claim they double anodize (Tune and possibly HED). The ceramic process is supposedly more durable than anodizing, but the brake tracks still get scratched by sharp objects stuck in the brake pads. To be fair, carbon wheels get scratched too, but they don't get shiny as the alloy ones do.

paintedflags
10-08-2018, 03:48 AM
It's not quite the same as straight up anodization, at least not what I've read in terms of process. Mavic and DT Swiss talk about extreme heat and pressure to get the black to impregnate the alloy in their respective models. I will say that the noise from Exaliths can be very high pitched until the pads wear in, like running a ziptie through it's closure really fast.

Aesthetics wise, the track does stay black for much much longer than ceramic or anodized rims. That's the reason I started looking into them and I've been pretty pleased so far. I've put about 1500 miles on the Exaliths, and about 600 on the Dicut Oxics. Both have no wear in the track, where ceramic and anodized rims usually start to show wear within 100 miles, if not sooner. I've read other anecdotal evidence supporting this, which is prompted me to give them a go.

one60
10-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Have several thousand miles on the DT Swiss PR1400 Oxics. Braking is improved over standard alloy rims and the brake surface has remained intact. Have not ridden these in the PNW wet winter but they have seen a decent amount of hard packed gravel and look like new. There are some informative reviews/comments on VSalon as well. New this year is a deeper more aero 32mm version. This is my first set of factory wheels in many years. I have been impressed with the aesthetics and the build quality and would purchase again.
https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net/uploads/WPR1400HRQJKA07122/PHO_WPR1400HRQJKA07122_WEB_SHO_001.jpg

dancinkozmo
10-08-2018, 12:32 PM
ive got some hard anodized tb14s with about 1000 km so far...they still look great, but i havent ridden in the rain and there is some slight pulsation under braking in the front rim.

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/content/images/thumbs/0015951_hson-tb14-700c-hard-anodized-grey-msw.jpeg

David Kirk
10-08-2018, 12:40 PM
I've been using a set of Ardennes Blacks for a few years now as my everyday wheels. They get used on a mix of pavement and dirt. I'm not sure how many miles but it's plenty.

I've not seen any wear or change in color on the brake tracks. They look pretty much as new. The brakes work very well even in the wet and they have a very predictable and linear feel to them.

The wheels ride just as they should and have held up to hard use very well. I've not had to adjust the spokes or true them at all.

The textured brake tracks of course make a noise when you use the brakes. Right at first it got my attention but after the 3rd ride or so I stopped noticing it. I'm sure the whirring noise I'm sure but it's not an issue and no where near as loud as wheels like the ENVE.

I recommend the HED's and would buy them again.

dave

simonov
10-08-2018, 02:40 PM
I've been using a set of Ardennes Blacks for a few years now as my everyday wheels. They get used on a mix of pavement and dirt. I'm not sure how many miles but it's plenty.

I've not seen any wear or change in color on the brake tracks. They look pretty much as new. The brakes work very well even in the wet and they have a very predictable and linear feel to them.

The wheels ride just as they should and have held up to hard use very well. I've not had to adjust the spokes or true them at all.

The textured brake tracks of course make a noise when you use the brakes. Right at first it got my attention but after the 3rd ride or so I stopped noticing it. I'm sure the whirring noise I'm sure but it's not an issue and no where near as loud as wheels like the ENVE.

dave

Any concerns with the hubs? I've heard that HED hubs aren't great, but can't even remember the last time I saw someone on complete HED wheels to ask them first hand. HED Belgiums are some of my favorite rims ever, so Ardennes Black have always piqued my interest. I've tried the ceramic/exalith/treated rims from most manufacturers and I'm pretty sold on the concept. If the HED wheels are solid as a total package, they'll be on my shortlist.

David Kirk
10-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Any concerns with the hubs? I've heard that HED hubs aren't great, but can't even remember the last time I saw someone on complete HED wheels to ask them first hand. HED Belgiums are some of my favorite rims ever, so Ardennes Black have always piqued my interest. I've tried the ceramic/exalith/treated rims from most manufacturers and I'm pretty sold on the concept. If the HED wheels are solid as a total package, they'll be on my shortlist.

I've not heard of issues with the hubs. I know that I have two sets of HED wheels with HED hubs and both have been flawless. And somehow the bearings seem to have the lowest drag I've ever seen. Hold a front wheel up and give it a good spin and your arms will give out before it stops spinning.

I really like them.

dave

simonov
10-08-2018, 04:12 PM
I've not heard of issues with the hubs. I know that I have two sets of HED wheels with HED hubs and both have been flawless. And somehow the bearings seem to have the lowest drag I've ever seen. Hold a front wheel up and give it a good spin and your arms will give out before it stops spinning.

I really like them.

dave

Excellent. Thanks for the response, Dave. I'll probably give them a shot the next time I "need" wheels.

mhespenheide
10-08-2018, 04:25 PM
ive got some hard anodized tb14s with about 1000 km so far...they still look great, but i havent ridden in the rain and there is some slight pulsation under braking in the front rim.

TB14's are a standard anodization and will wear off through time, particularly when braking in wet/muddy conditions. They're not the same as the more modern ceramic or oxalic (?) coatings.

ERK55
10-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Re: the HED Ardennes Black

Whoa... did a quick internet search and it seems these are available only as a wheelset, for about $1,500. Several hundred $ more than options from DT Swiss, Campagnolo/Fulcrum, or Mavic. Guess you need deep pockets for black rims.

And, it doesnt appear that the HED blacks are available as rims if I’m not mistaken.

Mattre
10-08-2018, 08:45 PM
I keep hearing good things about AForce AL33 Ceramic rims.

ls1togo
10-08-2018, 08:56 PM
I've used a couple different Mavic Exalith wheels for some years now and aside from the looks, which I like, the performance and braking are great...they're also stiff and ride well. Once the brake pads are broken in, the squeal goes away...not a problem
I've been interested in this thread for alternatives..btw, I also use carbon 303's to stay with black wheels

93KgBike
10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
I rode Mistral hard anodized rims in the 1980/90's and they never changed color. They were gun-metal gray-brown. Don't recall any braking issues. They were super classy.

pincopallinobis
10-09-2018, 03:14 PM
I've been using a set of Ardennes Blacks for a few years now as my everyday wheels.

dave

I really like them.

dave

These are great recommendations, thank you.
But then:

Re: the HED Ardennes Black

Whoa... did a quick internet search and it seems these are available only as a wheelset, for about $1,500. Several hundred $ more than options from DT Swiss, Campagnolo/Fulcrum, or Mavic. Guess you need deep pockets for black rims.

And, it doesnt appear that the HED blacks are available as rims if I’m not mistaken.
I did the same search and the price was shocking. $1500 US!

The HED black rims are definitely not available separately?

What other very durable all-black rims do the pro wheelbuilders here recommend?

If anyone has used both how do these all-black HED Ardennes complete wheels compare to the all-black Shamal Mille wheelsets, the newest ones with black brake track and black nipples?

simonov
10-09-2018, 03:25 PM
These are great recommendations, thank you.
But then:

I did the same search and the price was shocking. $1500 US!

The HED black rims are definitely not available separately?

What other very durable all-black rims do the pro wheelbuilders here recommend?

If anyone has used both how do these all-black HED Ardennes complete wheels compare to the all-black Shamal Mille wheelsets, the newest ones with black brake track and black nipples?

They're only slightly more expensive than the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite, DT PR 1400 Oxic or Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith, and the Belgium/Ardennes rim has always been on the more expensive side (they're also very good). Even the Boyd rims laced to WI hubs are 1,250. Bottom line...the coated rims are a premium product across companies.

shortwaveradio
10-09-2018, 04:41 PM
I sold them to a friend but I really liked the Mavic Exaliths I rode for about 1000 miles. Said friend has put about another 1k on them without issue.

mcteague
10-09-2018, 06:33 PM
From what I have read, these new rims really go through brake pads. What have you all experienced?

Tim

pdmtong
10-09-2018, 06:39 PM
PEO treated rims do eat pads. This is NOT a coating.
https://blog.keronite.com/what-is-plasma-electrolytic-oxidation-article

My mille and exalaith still look great but they do eat pads and squeal when breaking in. and you do get a whrrrr sound when stopping. oddly the mille sound different from the r-sys.

Braking is outstanding. you can tell it's better. BUT, I got them mainly for aesthetics. There, I said it.