PDA

View Full Version : Dating a Minimalist...............

GParkes
10-07-2018, 06:52 PM
So, I've fallen hard for a lovely woman that is a minimalist. And I mean, minimalist. We've recently broached the topic of................2 built up road bikes, 1 built up gravel bike, 1 time trial bike, 3 bare road frames, a set of mitered tubes and lugs ready to go in the jig and be lit up, 7 sets of wheels, and a large tote of spare parts. We haven't gotten to tools (I don't think they count - they're essentials).

This could be an interesting relationship.

Cicli
10-07-2018, 06:58 PM
I will leave this here.

AngryScientist
10-07-2018, 07:03 PM
So, I've fallen hard for a lovely woman

do what you have to do. love is more important than stuff any day of the week.

NHAero
10-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Send all the “excess” bikes and stuff to fellow Paceliners - we'll keep them well used and if the relationship doesn't work out....we'll send 'em all back :)

avalonracing
10-07-2018, 07:21 PM
So, I've fallen hard for a lovely woman that is a minimalist. And I mean, minimalist. We've recently broached the topic of................2 built up road bikes, 1 built up gravel bike, 1 time trial bike, 3 bare road frames, a set of mitered tubes and lugs ready to go in the jig and be lit up, 7 sets of wheels, and a large tote of spare parts. We haven't gotten to tools (I don't think they count - they're essentials).

Ditch the TT bike, the unbuilt frames, and the tubes and you are a minimalist too. (As far as I'm concerned because a man needs at least two road bikes, a gravel bike, and some tools)

thegunner
10-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Send all the “excess” bikes and stuff to fellow Paceliners - we'll keep them well used and if the relationship doesn't work out....we'll send 'em all back :)

you're probably sem-joking, but i have an agreement like this with nooch.

peanutgallery
10-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Get a yard car. It'll detract attention and give a place to stow things as needed

Jaybee
10-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Jokes aside, my wife convinced me to cull the herd a bit when we met, and I think I’m much happier without a lot of unused or barely used stuff hanging around in our space. So maybe try it out for a bit, decide what it really means to you.

quickfeet
10-07-2018, 07:50 PM
I’ve found that if my stuff is out of sight then it’s no big deal. If it’s in an eyeline I hear about it.

GParkes
10-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Ditch the TT bike, the unbuilt frames, and the tubes and you are a minimalist too. (As far as I'm concerned because a man needs at least two road bikes, a gravel bike, and some tools)

The TT bike stays (my main form of racing), the Kirk stays, my own frames stay. May be looking to sell an Andy Gilmour soon...........

GParkes
10-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Jokes aside, my wife convinced me to cull the herd a bit when we met, and I think I’m much happier without a lot of unused or barely used stuff hanging around in our space. So maybe try it out for a bit, decide what it really means to you.

Truth be told, was going to thin stuff out anyway, may make me look like I'm on board with the minimalist thing. And honestly, non=bike stuff disposal isn't a bad idea.

monarchguy
10-07-2018, 08:03 PM
I have space in my garage, and I'm right around the corner in Rexford. Please tell me you ride a 53.....

-- Dan

Hellgate
10-07-2018, 08:10 PM
I'll trade you a wife who's a horder. Need any VHS & cassette tapes?

veloduffer
10-07-2018, 08:22 PM
How about getting a storage unit so it only looks like just two bikes...:p

buddybikes
10-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Where are you in your relationship? If not married, then do as you want. What if this romance dwindles? If getting married, some good negotiation in order.

My wife and I are downsizing (house to to near retirement) but we are onboard with things and I get to keep my bikes (sold the tandems that weren't used)

Ken Robb
10-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Get a pre-nup. :-)

David Tollefson
10-07-2018, 08:46 PM
So many things I could say here. None of it bodes well for your relationship. I'll just put this one out there:
Men marry women hoping they will never change, but they do. Women marry men hoping to change them, and they never do. Both end up frustrated.

I can only say that real love accepts the other person as they are, doesn't ask them to change into something else.

Ken Robb
10-07-2018, 09:34 PM
so many things i could say here. None of it bodes well for your relationship. I'll just put this one out there:
Men marry women hoping they will never change, but they do. Women marry men hoping to change them, and they never do. Both end up frustrated.

I can only say that real love accepts the other person as they are, doesn't ask them to change into something else.
amen!

54ny77
10-07-2018, 09:36 PM
no joke, i have a buddy who's wife was exactly this--a hoarder who refused to get rid of BOXES of vhs tapes that were sitting in the living room. he offered countless times to hire someone to digitize them. we're talking home movies as well as, wait for it, actual commercial movies that could readily be obtained on dvd.

no joke follow up: they're since divorced.

I'll trade you a wife who's a horder. Need any VHS & cassette tapes?

Hellgate
10-07-2018, 09:45 PM
no joke, i have a buddy who's wife was exactly this--a hoarder who refused to get rid of BOXES of vhs tapes that were sitting in the living room. he offered countless times to hire someone to digitize them. we're talking home movies as well as, wait for it, actual commercial movies that could readily be obtained on dvd.

no joke follow up: they're since divorced.My best hope it the house burns down. I've got plenty of insurance...

I just need to move the bicycles and motos first...

echappist
10-07-2018, 09:48 PM
So many things I could say here. None of it bodes well for your relationship. I'll just put this one out there:

Oscar Wilde, is that you?

jambee
10-08-2018, 02:22 AM
There are two aspects to the story here (speaking from a lot of personal experience).

1. Ask yourself why do you need 3 road bikes and 8 pairs of wheels? At the end of the day you have one ass and two legs so you can only ride one bike at a time. This has nothing to do with the lady, but is entirely your own introspection. Sometimes you just need someone, like your loved ones, to make you think about your behaviour.

2. Talk to her. If you fell in love with her and think that your bike habits are going to be a problem, put the issue on the table and communicate. Relationships are a never ending negotiation. I can tell you from personal experience that my partner and I had one repeating argument every year around March or April. That is the "season starts, I am not doing ANYTHING on the weekends from now to season end other than ride bikes." How do you think that statement makes my lady feel? We argued, we talked, I listened, we reached a compromise. Everyone is happy.

Communication is the key to any healthy relationship.

witcombusa
10-08-2018, 04:32 AM
do what you have to do. love is more important than stuff any day of the week.

Depends...

saab2000
10-08-2018, 04:43 AM
I'm hardly a minimalist but over the past 14 months or so I've been steadily and methodically getting rid of stuff, including bike stuff. It's been fantastic.

Another bike will go soon. It's quite liberating actually and I don't miss the stuff I've quasi-hoarded over the years.

jambee
10-08-2018, 04:51 AM
Watch this documentary about clutter: https://youtu.be/3AhSNsBs2Y0

This obsession with collecting stuff makes no one happy.

I do not consider myself a minimalist, but I remember when two friends from New York visited my apartment. I have been living there for 2 years at the time. They walked in and said "OMG, did you just move in?"

I was surprised as I thought "i have everything I need" which included loads of books on the shelves, a nice workspace, a huge dinner table, pictures on the walls, but for them the place was bare naked.

Making space is a transformative act.

mcteague
10-08-2018, 05:50 AM
You just started dating and are considering getting rid of bikes to make her happy?:rolleyes: Wait for marriage for that kind of accommodation, if then.

Tim

witcombusa
10-08-2018, 06:10 AM
Watch this documentary about clutter: https://youtu.be/3AhSNsBs2Y0

This obsession with collecting stuff makes no one happy.

I do not consider myself a minimalist, but I remember when two friends from New York visited my apartment. I have been living there for 2 years at the time. They walked in and said "OMG, did you just move in?"

I was surprised as I thought "i have everything I need" which included loads of books on the shelves, a nice workspace, a huge dinner table, pictures on the walls, but for them the place was bare naked.

Making space is a transformative act.

To each their own.

OP, your biking list look very minimalist to me already! :banana:

sparky33
10-08-2018, 06:24 AM
Does she have more than zero bicycles?

PaMtbRider
10-08-2018, 06:24 AM
Every time I consider selling a few rarely used bikes I see what they are worth in the current market. That usually makes me decide to keep them.

verticaldoug
10-08-2018, 06:28 AM
How many times have you ridden each bike in the past 6 mo?

Getting rid of stuff and de-cluttering is a great feeling.

soulspinner
10-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Build yourself an out building and tell her she wont have to look at any of it.:bike:

hartmmike
10-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Everybody knows that the minimum number of bikes is N+1.

sparky33
10-08-2018, 07:01 AM
Funny
In all seriousness, no.

First the bicycles move to the shed, what next? ....acceptance and understanding go both ways in a relationship.

Build yourself an out building and tell her she wont have to look at any of it.:bike:

oldpotatoe
10-08-2018, 07:07 AM

It's toys, that bike stuff..love can and should be forever..:eek:
When she starts to filter coffee using a clean but old, sock, then I'd draw the line.

johnniecakes
10-08-2018, 07:13 AM
So to ask the same question in another way. The minimalist said to her girlfriend. "I started dating a guy who I really like but he has more bikes and bike stuff than I think he needs, what do I do" To which the girlfriend replied, "Do you like the guy enough to allow him to be who he is without being afraid of him having to walk on egg shells all the time hoping not to upset you" "Do you like him for who he is or is he a project for you"

OtayBW
10-08-2018, 07:44 AM
So, I've fallen hard for a lovely woman that is a minimalist. And I mean, minimalist. We've recently broached the topic of................2 built up road bikes, etc.
If she has (serious) problems with your existing lifestyle and legitimate hobbies, particularly those that provide physical and emotional well-being, I say: Danger. Will. Robinson.

Aaron O
10-08-2018, 07:49 AM
It is OK for her to be a minimalist. It is not OK for her to apply her beliefs to you.

My (soon to be ex) was much more anti-stuff than me, and I was more of a pack rat before meeting her. I actually appreciate her "it's just stuff" approach to that cool knick knack I might have bought a flea market and I largely adopted it. However, I love bikes, and as I accepted many of her flaws, she had to accept bikes.

That worked, until it didn't. So, try to learn the positives of her approach, but don't let it kill what you love. Granted, most of us are insane, but what you laid out as your bikes doesn't sound that excessive.

Not to be doom and gloom, but I made a hell of a lot of compromises for our marriage...far more than I think she made. In retrospect, I'm bitter and ticked about that. Make sure you're getting what you give, and as tough as it is to stay rational when emotion is there, pay attention to the red flags and don't just blow everything off, or give too much ground, early. You're both going to have to make a lot of compromises, that's just how it is, but, in the words of Cheap Trick..."Surrender, but don't give yourself away." 5 bikes and some wheel sets is really not that excessive.

I like what Johnniecakes said a LOT.

Mikej
10-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Storage locker rental with a beer fridge-

Ozz
10-08-2018, 09:18 AM
If you don't want to change her, why would she want to change you?

GParkes
10-08-2018, 09:34 AM
It'll all be good guys, amusing comments, suggestions, etc. I think much of my de-cluttering will be non-bike related, and then those bare frames. Funny thing about it is that she keeps a very tidy home, but admits to having a nice collection of shoes. So it will balance. And I know full well, relationships only succeed when we accept a partner for who they are, not who they can be. And as soon as the Gilmour is re-finished, I'll post it in classifieds, very nice frame. G

Tickdoc
10-08-2018, 09:50 AM
time tested, proven, and accurate.....

https://youtu.be/XuI6GTY9eVc

93KgBike
10-08-2018, 11:20 AM
It'll all be good guys, amusing comments, suggestions, etc. I think much of my de-cluttering will be non-bike related, and then those bare frames. Funny thing about it is that she keeps a very tidy home, but admits to having a nice collection of shoes. So it will balance. And I know full well, relationships only succeed when we accept a partner for who they are, not who they can be. And as soon as the Gilmour is re-finished, I'll post it in classifieds, very nice frame. G

Get her some bike shoes.

Then get her on a bike.

10 bikes is logarithmically more minimal than two personal computing devices.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yHAAAOSwefxbgxbx/s-l1600.jpg

rwsaunders
10-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Reminds me of John Prine's Dear Abby...

Dear Abby, dear Abby
My fountain pen leaks
My wife hollers at me and my kids are all freaks
Every side I get up on is the wrong side of bed
If it weren't so expensive I'd wish I were dead
Signed unhappy

Unhappy, unhappy
You have no complaint
You are what your are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ccC4aULow

MagicHour
10-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Be prepared for "Hoarders" intervention scene type negotiations every time you want to buy something. ie
"How many pairs of bike shoes do you need?"
"Ok, but you're gonna sell the old one though, right?!"
"You can only ride one bike at a time."

...that sort of thing.
:help: ....just kidding
:banana:

Dino Suegiù
10-08-2018, 01:20 PM
The next time you engage in these hard negotiations about things, maybe try setting the mood by doing it over a nice relaxing candlelight dinner of ham and wine?

Ham, wine, and nothing else, not even Pellegrino water, definitely not dessert. Maybe not so romantic really, for most people, but certainly très très minimal. Bon chance!

fiamme red
10-08-2018, 01:28 PM
https://www.improvisedlife.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/New-Yorker-cartoon-Rick-Stevens-rich-nothing1-1024x652.jpg

hokoman
10-08-2018, 01:32 PM
you're probably sem-joking, but i have an agreement like this with nooch.

thegunner and nooch,
How do I get in on this short person swap/hide?

charliedid
10-08-2018, 01:40 PM
So do you two only go on like one date a month for 30 minutes or something?

Minimal

Dino Suegiù
10-08-2018, 01:44 PM
thegunner and nooch,

Kind of a personal question in thread about dating...no?

tv_vt
10-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Enjoying this thread. ;)

Carry on.

GParkes
10-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Get her some bike shoes.

Then get her on a bike.

10 bikes is logarithmically more minimal than two personal computing devices.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yHAAAOSwefxbgxbx/s-l1600.jpg

Nice kicks................she might like them!

54ny77
10-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Be sure to make it special jamon, you know, the Spanish kind.

http://www.infolinea.es/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/20170910-Entrega-jam%C3%B3n-Legado-Ib%C3%A9rico-Alberto-Contador-1.jpg

The next time you engage in these hard negotiations about things, maybe try setting the mood by doing it over a nice relaxing candlelight dinner of ham and wine?

echappist
10-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Be sure to make it special jamon, you know, the Spanish kind.

http://www.infolinea.es/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/20170910-Entrega-jam%C3%B3n-Legado-Ib%C3%A9rico-Alberto-Contador-1.jpg

as long as it's not res española

Nooch
10-08-2018, 03:35 PM
thegunner and nooch,

LOL. Nick has promised me if I ever, ever, ever think about unloading the pronto again that he'd store it for me until the inevitable regret set in.

joosttx
10-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Get her pregnant... that minimalist stuff will end

IOW, it’s too early to go on changing....

thegunner
10-08-2018, 04:35 PM
LOL. Nick has promised me if I ever, ever, ever think about unloading the pronto again that he'd store it for me until the inevitable regret set in.

i don't know if we've ever discussed an open-relationship across the tri-state area haha.

GParkes
10-08-2018, 04:57 PM
You guys are hilarious. All I said was "it should be interesting". It'll be all good. I learned my mistakes last marriage. But, maybe I should get a tandem........hmmm

54ny77
10-08-2018, 05:04 PM
wherever you're going, you'll get there faster with a tandem.

You guys are hilarious. All I said was "it should be interesting". It'll be all good. I learned my mistakes last marriage. But, maybe I should get a tandem........hmmm

radsmd
10-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Loves come and go, but

Bikes are forever.

TimD
10-08-2018, 05:25 PM
https://www.memerewards.com/images/2018/06/25/I_just_bought_a_new_bike_The_wife_asked_if_im_sell ing_the_old_one_152996230598d3e8bdb4404cb9.png

charliedid
10-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Tandem is cool, just keep it real ;)

vitaly66
10-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Be a man, keep your man stuff.

MGTOW -- look it up.

weisan
10-08-2018, 08:29 PM
I learned my mistakes last marriage.

haha...haha...you are very funny, pal. Thanks for creating this thread. Comic relief.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/10/22/arts/22Parkes-Obit/22Parkes-Obit-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

GParkes
10-08-2018, 08:39 PM
It really only just dawned on me after we were discussing plans for the upcoming weekend. Since she's a minimalist, would any disagreements or arguments be....................small ones????

charliedid
10-08-2018, 08:51 PM
This is my favorite thread ever. :)

pdonk
10-09-2018, 07:56 AM
While my wife is by no means a minimalist (likely 75 pairs of shoes and at least 30 purses) she does not understand my desire to collect things (books, bicycle related pint glasses, comics, music).

Last year when I started talking about getting a new bike, we discussed the boxes in the basement and what was really important there. I ended up liquidating about half my comics (200-300), a third of my books (250) and almost all of my pint glasses(50). I kept the things that were most important to me - favourite authors only, a few pint glasses from events and books I really like and want to share with our daughter.

Part of me grieved getting rid of everything, but looking at the amount of space and the paint job the sale is paying for I am happy. By no means will I ever be a minimalist, nor will she, but getting rid of things that I only liked the idea of possessing, versus having something I will really like using was a bit freeing.

Tickdoc
10-09-2018, 08:09 AM
I read the Dalai Lama's book on happiness a while back and one thing he said struck a chord:

Paraphrasing here, but basically; when you see something you think you want to buy, admire it, picture yourself with it, and then step back and ask "will it bring me happiness?"

It allows you to put 90% of the crap you think you need back on the shelf.

buddybikes
10-09-2018, 10:17 AM
>>>Paraphrasing here, but basically; when you see something you think you want to buy, admire it, picture yourself with it, and then step back and ask "will it bring me happiness?"

My dogs, my Firefly and "old man" kevlar surf kayak was a certain YES!
Of course buying GOOD seafood to cook on Friday nights also!

jh_on_the_cape
10-09-2018, 11:08 AM
HA so funny. I am/was in the danger zone. Redhead hairdresser/stripper named Tiffany. Better than a tranny.

time tested, proven, and accurate.....

https://youtu.be/XuI6GTY9eVc

simonov
10-09-2018, 11:20 AM
HA so funny. I am/was in the danger zone. Redhead hairdresser/stripper named Tiffany. Better than a tranny.

Dude, way to come across as a caveman.

benb
10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
If she's really a minimalist once the bikes are gone she'll want to burn the house down and move into the shed.

Kind of kidding/kind of not really kidding.

My wife didn't really start trying to get me to get rid of anything till our kid was imminent.. I got rid of my motorcycle. Not really a big deal.

My old formula was 2 bicycles and 1 motorcycle. I did go down to just 2 bikes but for the past 3 seasons I've been at 3 bicycles, no plans to get rid of anything till something breaks really badly. My MTB is ancient.. if it gives up the ghost (frame, fork, wheels?) I will have a hard time paying enough to replace it.

She also has a thing for getting rid of physical (paper) books. I would love to have one of those home office/libraries with the walls lined with books, she's not into that at all.

Ken Robb
10-09-2018, 12:48 PM
If she's really a minimalist once the bikes are gone she'll want to burn the house down and move into the shed.

Kind of kidding/kind of not really kidding.

My wife didn't really start trying to get me to get rid of anything till our kid was imminent.. I got rid of my motorcycle. Not really a big deal.

My old formula was 2 bicycles and 1 motorcycle. I did go down to just 2 bikes but for the past 3 seasons I've been at 3 bicycles, no plans to get rid of anything till something breaks really badly. My MTB is ancient.. if it gives up the ghost (frame, fork, wheels?) I will have a hard time paying enough to replace it.

She also has a thing for getting rid of physical (paper) books. I would love to have one of those home office/libraries with the walls lined with books, she's not into that at all.

When your ancient mtn. bike dies you can buy a really nice 26" bike for peanuts because "everyone needs a 29er".

gdw
10-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Did she also give you a list of 22 rules that you will have to follow?

https://www.boredpanda.com/girlfriend-rules-list-boyfriend-men-tumblr/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Tickdoc
10-09-2018, 12:51 PM
>>>Paraphrasing here, but basically; when you see something you think you want to buy, admire it, picture yourself with it, and then step back and ask "will it bring me happiness?"

My dogs, my Firefly and "old man" kevlar surf kayak was a certain YES!
Of course buying GOOD seafood to cook on Friday nights also!

that is much better.

DarkStar
10-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Don’t know how it would work out, but for the right woman willing to reduce the hundreds of books, half a dozen bikes and guitars, and a nice selection of microphones. The deal breaker would by my vinyl collection:banana:

Keith A
10-09-2018, 01:44 PM
I've had a complaint about this discussion, so if we want to keep this open, let's take the higher road.

pincopallinobis
10-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Yes, please.

Why is this clichè misogynistic "humor" always still considered so very funny, in 2018 and with everything happening now?

Also, I think that it is correctly written "a lovely woman who is a minimalist" and not "a lovely woman that is a minimalist". She is not a thing, we hope.

bicycletricycle
10-09-2018, 02:34 PM
I think it can be really difficult to span a big gap in lifestyles like that.

Tickdoc
10-09-2018, 02:53 PM
it's time for an off-topic room, imo.:fight:

kppolich
10-09-2018, 02:59 PM
This relationship should be a good chance for both of you to learn some new things and learn more about each other. Decluttering is awesome, but so is having things you value and bring you joy.

She can be a minimalist, you don't have to be. If she tries to make you into something you don't want, then talk about it and state why these things are necessary for your lifestyle.

I'm a big fan of having less stuff. It gives you more time to enjoy the things you do have. It also allows you to focus on a few important things rather than collecting a bunch of 1-time use junk.

Communicate and all will be fine.

charliedid
10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Dude, way to come across as a caveman.

Seriously. How do you know I’m not Tran?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gasman
10-09-2018, 03:03 PM
I think we've had all the discussion there is to be had here without going off the rails more. We need to be respectful of women.