PDA

View Full Version : Campy UT compact crank ring question

guylimey
10-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Dumb question of the day time. Will a Campy UT compact crank take a regular 53/39 set of rings or is a there set of 53/39 rings made for a compact crank? I think the bolt circle is different and it can not be done. Thanks.

tuscanyswe
10-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Dumb question of the day time. Will a Campy UT compact crank take a regular 53/39 set of rings or is a there set of 53/39 rings made for a compact crank? I think the bolt circle is different and it can not be done. Thanks.

Im assuming you are talking about the older 5 bolt cranksets. With those its not possible to change from compact to standard or wise verca because of the BCD as you mention yourself allrdy.

Thats an advantage of the newer cranksets where you can just change the rings and they all fit on the same crank regardless of compact or standard. The downside is the rings cost about as much as a crank anyways so you really dont save a lot of money nor convenience vs just having two seperate cranks..

cgolvin
10-07-2018, 04:28 PM
I believe the answer is "no" for 5-arm cranks but "yes" for 4-arm cranks, though the "yes" might be qualified by year. My understanding is that the current 4-arm cranks can accommodate compact, mid-compact, and standard, just like current Shimano.

Oops, realized I had assumed you wanted to stick with Campy rings — as choke correctly points out below, there are 3rd party options that allow it for 5 arm sets.

choke
10-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Yes, it can be done. Assuming that you mean the 5 arm 'hidden bolt' style both TA and Stronglight make chainrings in those sizes and the 110/112 BCD.

Dino Suegiù
10-07-2018, 05:31 PM

It may be possible, but you would need to research further (see 2) below):

1) No, it is not possible to mount 53/39 Campagnolo chainrings on your CT crankset. That CT spider is not compatible with the then Campagnolo standard BCD (135mm).

The Campagnolo 5-bolt UT CT (compact) crankset BCD is 110/112mm (112 is the "hidden" bolt). The largest outer chainring is a 50T.
The Campagnolo 5-bolt UT standard crankset BCD (of that same era) is 135mm.

Even earlier (pre-2015) 4-bolt cranksets are not interchangeable.

The only Campagnolo cranksets for which chainrings of all sizes from 34T up to 53T are completely interchangeable are the newest post-2015, 4-bolt 11-S/12-S systems, with the 112mm inner/145mm outer BCD.

2) However, it may be possible to use 53/39 Spècialitès TA "Nerius" (9/10-S or 11-S) chainrings, which do have a 110mm BCD, on your CT crankset, by "adapting" one hole to 112mm, and by using the proper chainring bolts for the Campagnolo UT CT spider. You would have to ask real pros to be completely certain though.

ultraman6970
10-07-2018, 05:32 PM
What choke says.... you have to go aftermarket... campagnolo that Ive know of never made 39 110/112 bcd (im assuming star compact crankset)

Eventhought campagnolo UT came in mid compact... those are 110/112 campy 36/52... the only thing you could need is to buy the 39 110/112 from stronglight and put it in there.

http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/index.php/welcome/afficher_Produit?id=482

http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/index.php/welcome/afficher_Produit?id=476

http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/index.php/welcome/afficher_Produit?id=477

http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/index.php/welcome/afficher_Produit?id=487

oldpotatoe
10-08-2018, 07:04 AM

Yes, TA and probably Stronglight makes them..Campagnolo does not.

For 5 arm(one arm behind crank arm), type cranks..the '4arm, that started in 2015..one 'BCD', any CR choice..Campagnolo made CRs..great idea.