PDA

View Full Version : 11-speed shifter on a 9-speed bike

pobrien
10-07-2018, 10:29 AM
I am looking at replacing the 9-speed thumb shifters on my Homer Hilsen with 11-speed Shimano 105 STI and upgrade the rest later (the rear derailleur and cassette are new so don't want to waste them).

Is this feasible? I am okay doing a wholesale upgrade and donating the spare parts to the local bicycle co-op. I am thinking this is the right way to go...

I considered running a Campagnolo group to be consistent with my other bikes but figured Shimano would be fine and Shimano would be easier to find parts for in small towns if I take the Hilsen touring some day.

Constructive advice appreciated!

oldpotatoe
10-07-2018, 10:34 AM
I am looking at replacing the 9-speed thumb shifters on my Homer Hilsen with 11-speed Shimano 105 STI and upgrade the rest later (the rear derailleur and cassette are new so don't want to waste them).

Is this feasible? I am okay doing a wholesale upgrade and donating the spare parts to the local bicycle co-op. I am thinking this is the right way to go...

I considered running a Campagnolo group to be consistent with my other bikes but figured Shimano would be fine and Shimano would be easier to find parts for in small towns if I take the Hilsen touring some day.

Constructive advice appreciated!

Those 11s shifters are not compatible with anything but shimano road 11s ders. It ‘could’ work with a 9s or 10s cogset but they would have to spaced to 11s spacing, with 11s ders. In addition, you ‘may’ need a new rear wheel/hub since shimano 11s road cogsets won’t fit into a 9/10s rear wheel.

charliedid
10-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Why not just buy a set of Sora 9 speed shifters for little $ and enjoy the ride?

Upgrade everything or get a new bike later.

jemdet
10-07-2018, 12:03 PM
If I remember correctly, campy 11V shifters will shift 9V shimano cassettes with old shimano rear derailleurs

DfCas
10-07-2018, 12:41 PM
I use a campy 11 speed ergo with a Shimano rear derailleur and cassette. Works great.

pobrien
10-07-2018, 05:01 PM
I appreciate the input. I am conflicted about the 9-speed and might just go with a Shimano 105 11-speed and donate my used parts to the bike co-op.

I reckon that makes sense long term.

Again, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Patrick

charliedid
10-07-2018, 10:04 PM
I appreciate the input. I am conflicted about the 9-speed and might just go with a Shimano 105 11-speed and donate my used parts to the bike co-op.

I reckon that makes sense long term.

Again, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Patrick

I reckon that is a fine idea.