PDA

View Full Version : Am I being paranoid?

foggypeake
10-07-2018, 10:28 AM
I'm using my Colnago Dream on my Tacx Vortex indoor trainer and I'm petrified that I'm going to shorten its lifespan by using it on the trainer. I'm using it primarily for Trainerroad and Zwift sessions a couple days per week, no longer than 90 minutes at a time. While the bike is about 15 years old, it's in great shape as I've babied it like a museum piece.

In my convoluted mind, I'm thinking of selling it and rolling the money into a newer steel bike that I can use on the trainer without the anxiety that I feel now.

Should I be concerned?

C40_guy
10-07-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm using my Colnago Dream on my Tacx Vortex indoor trainer and I'm petrified that I'm going to shorten its lifespan by using it on the trainer. I'm using it primarily for Trainerroad and Zwift sessions a couple days per week, no longer than 90 minutes at a time. While the bike is about 15 years old, it's in great shape as I've babied it like a museum piece.

In my convoluted mind, I'm thinking of selling it and rolling the money into a newer steel bike that I can use on the trainer without the anxiety that I feel now.

Should I be concerned?

Well, the Dream won't rust. :) A steel bike, on the other hand.

If you never ride the Dream outside, yes, sell it and move on. But you will regret selling it, I promise.

Here's another option - buy a cheap frame on CL, build it up with secondhand/leftover/borrowed parts and use that as your sacrificial bike for the trainer.

I did that for quite a while. Now I'm decluttering, so I decommissioned the sacrificial bike and put a LiteSpeed Appalachian on the trainer. This had the (perceived) result of removing a bike from the stable. I'm not worried about the Ti rusting either. :)

unterhausen
10-07-2018, 12:05 PM
I use a $30 classic steel frame on my kickr. Only thing that I worry about was when I fell off, twice. Got rid of the open cam skewers after the second time.

foggypeake
10-07-2018, 12:06 PM
The rust issue doesn't bother me as I'm pretty diligent about having a towel and wiping up any sweat. I'm worried that I'm going to ultimately break the frame.

thwart
10-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Wiping with a towel after a sweaty workout just removes the excess sweat sitting on the surface. The cable stops (especially these!), front brake, stem bolts, headset, bottom bracket, FD... these all can oxidize when frequently exposed to a salty solution during an indoor trainer workout.

Don't ask me how I know. :help:

Best answer is a sacrificial bike and components.

Or... spray the Dream liberally with Boeshield or a similar product beforehand.

Avispa
10-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Should I be concerned?

It has been said a lot on the subject... But for the amount of training you are doing, nothing is going to happen to the bike. Now if you tell me you are cracking 1500 Watts on the bike for longer periods of time, yes I'd be concerned... For the amount of time you are using it, I couldn't justify spending money on a bike that would use specifically for trainer workouts.

Now, one thing I've many people do with the type of trainer you have is leave their expensive wheels skewers on and eventually they get ruined with the lateral pressure from the trainer clamps. Bike wheel skewers and not designed to take this kind of abuse, so make sure you have a cheapo skewer and a good indoor trainer specific rear tire. Now, there I would invest on a cheap rear wheel, so you don't have to go through the hassle of dealing with that if you decide to ride outside...

fogrider
10-07-2018, 01:38 PM
I think the thing to worry about is the sweat getting into the headset..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk