PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra RX Derailleur with 1x

Cyzemup
10-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Is it worth running an Ultegra RX rear derailleur if I run a 1 by chainring or should I consider using the SRAM 1x drivetrain? Thoughts?

nooneline
10-06-2018, 05:09 PM
It depends on what you plan on using it for. Personally, with a narrow-wide chainring, I've used non-clutch rear derailleurs without chaindrops - on town, touring, and all-purpose bikes. If I were racing seriously on 1x, I'd want a clutch RD for the added insurance.

John H.
10-06-2018, 05:57 PM
I would say that it depends on your gearing in back- Up to a 42 tooth- The RX should be great.
Bigger than that, mtb derailleur.

Main advantage to sticking with Shimano is getting Shimano brakes- Way less or no rubbing compared to SRAM brakes.

RacerJRP
10-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Pedaled my 1x Shimano drivetrain today. Wolftooth 1x chainring with Ultegra RX rear. Worked like a charm, no chain slap, no noise, no trouble. Running 40t up front with 11-32 out back

oldpotatoe
10-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Is it worth running an Ultegra RX rear derailleur if I run a 1 by chainring or should I consider using the SRAM 1x drivetrain? Thoughts?

Yes
No....

Cyzemup
10-07-2018, 08:05 AM
RX is compatible with a 2X drivetrain but for cross I'm interested in a 1X. I've previously had a 2x ultegra drivetrain but have had issues with the chain dropping.

Cyzemup
10-07-2018, 08:16 AM
I would say that it depends on your gearing in back- Up to a 42 tooth- The RX should be great.
Bigger than that, mtb derailleur.

Main advantage to sticking with Shimano is getting Shimano brakes- Way less or no rubbing compared to SRAM brakes.

I currently have cable actuated TRP hydraulic brakes. They haven't been very good. Should I switch to full hydraulic?

shortwaveradio
10-08-2018, 12:45 PM
I currently have cable actuated TRP hydraulic brakes. They haven't been very good. Should I switch to full hydraulic?

Interesting. I've never used the Hy/Rd brakes but have always thought they were easy to work on, and heard good things about their performance. What's been the sticking point?

rkhatibi
10-09-2018, 12:10 AM

I own both TRP and Shimano Ultegra hydro and vastly prefer the latter. Feel is much more like a motorcycle which is what I prefer, easy to control though takes a couple of days to get comfortable, and a ton of power with very little input. I keep the TRPs around cause I like the interrupter levers on my around town bike, but I don't like them. fwiw out of the box the TRPs usually need to be bleed and that certainly helped in my case.