PDA

View Full Version : How did you do in your second-ever road race?

tv_vt
10-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Bet you didn't win the World Championships... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stigger-becomes-world-champion-in-just-her-second-road-race/

Cyzemup
10-06-2018, 02:23 PM
crashed and haven't done another road race since...

bart998
10-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Crashed out...

unterhausen
10-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Don't remember my second road race. In my first road race, I remember being dropped by the time I had gotten through the first corner. Pretty much the story of my racing career.

nalax
10-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Came in second and won a chicken sandwich lunch in 1977

Tandem Rider
10-06-2018, 04:58 PM
4th in an open, no JRs, raced with the SRs in 1976, at least back then I could blame junior gear restrictions on my lack of a sprint from a 4 man break. Got me hooked on road races, nothing like success to get a kid hooked.

Peter P.
10-06-2018, 05:39 PM
I got dropped. In fact, I was dropped in roughly the first 10 USCF races I entered, back in the 70's. It was interesting to see training result in a cumulative effect; eventually I was no longer being dropped. The mental effects of being dropped again and again can be pretty demoralizing. I don't know why I didn't quit, but I'm glad I didn't.

avalonracing
10-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Bet you didn't win the World Championships... ]

Actually, I did. Oh wait... No I didn't. What was I thinking about?

Cyzemup
10-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Crashed out...

Glad I'm not the only one.

djg
10-07-2018, 08:33 AM
I didn't win.

It wasn't the World Championship either . . . so maybe I was less inspired to really go for it?

FastforaSlowGuy
10-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Crashed out. 15 years old, got pushed into a curb 50 meters from the start line and spent the rest of the day at the ER. They cut my kit off me and sent me home in scrubs. 25 years later I still have those scrubs and they’re my favorite pajamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redir
10-09-2018, 08:57 AM
That is impressive for sure but she does at least have a mountain biking back ground...

Going in the reverse direction, as a road bike racer I did a mountain bike race just last Sunday... Good God Mountain bike racing is hard. It was 'only' 46 miles and about 6.5k of climbing but after I felt liek I road hard on the road for 150 miles.

Bike racing is war but it's like road racing is gentlemen gracefully shooting musket balls at each other in proper uniform and mountain biking is like Scottish Highlanders raging across the landscape hammering in skulls with axes.... er you knwo something like that.

So I do wonder if she found road racing to be actually easier. I could believe that.

GregL
10-09-2018, 10:01 AM
After getting shelled off the back of my first road race by mile 5, I lowered my expectations for race number two. I managed to keep the lead group in sight for the first (less hilly...) half of the race and finished 75th out of 207 entries. As I recall, I was pretty happy with the result!

Greg

Jaybee
10-09-2018, 10:13 AM
That is impressive for sure but she does at least have a mountain biking back ground...

Going in the reverse direction, as a road bike racer I did a mountain bike race just last Sunday... Good God Mountain bike racing is hard. It was 'only' 46 miles and about 6.5k of climbing but after I felt liek I road hard on the road for 150 miles.

Bike racing is war but it's like road racing is gentlemen gracefully shooting musket balls at each other in proper uniform and mountain biking is like Scottish Highlanders raging across the landscape hammering in skulls with axes.... er you knwo something like that.

So I do wonder if she found road racing to be actually easier. I could believe that.

I does kinda suck when you have to bleed out your eyeballs just to hold a wheel, and then some little techy step-up requires you to find yet another gear. Or you've been waiting to recover on that downhill, but it's just too chunky to really relax and take a deep breath.

To be fair, 46 mi/6.5K of vertical is a hard dirt ride no matter how tough the trail.

godfrey1112000
10-09-2018, 11:20 AM
We went to HotternHell
They were going to race with the masters group, I suggested that there were better off doing the normal 100 miles
It started they were dropped before getting on off the parking lot

Drove back home I laughed the whole way
:banana:

QUOTE=unterhausen;2436305]Don't remember my second road race. In my first road race, I remember being dropped by the time I had gotten through the first corner. Pretty much the story of my racing career.[/QUOTE]

93KgBike
10-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Laura Stigger is pretty amazing!

Looking over the US Junior's results, it's pretty heartening to see strong top 25 finishes in both the boy's & girls races. Hooray for the next generation!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-2018/photos/

Mark McM
10-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Well, I didn't win my second ever road race, and it wasn't the World Championships, but I did manage to finish with the pack amongst a bunch of other Cat. 5s, who all appeared to act like they thought it was the World Championships.

gasman
10-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Well, I didn't win my second ever road race, and it wasn't the World Championships, but I did manage to finish with the pack amongst a bunch of other Cat. 5s, who all appeared to act like they thought it was the World Championships.

That was my experience also.

parco
10-09-2018, 09:46 PM
This was the first race that my family came to. My kids were small when I started racing so this was a chance for them to see their Dad in action. I got to the start line a little early along with a few others. As the start time got closer all of a sudden this race official comes up and says all you guys move back and all these other guys come up and lined up at the start. We're all looking at each other like "what's going on?" All of a sudden the race official gets up with his gun in the air and fires the gun. All the guys at the front take off and the guys in front of me are having a hard time getting into their pedals. I take off around them but the pack already has about a 100 yard lead. I spent the whole race trying to catch up and finished way at the back. At the end of the race my son ran up to me and said " Gee Dad I thought you were good".

oldpotatoe
10-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Same as my first, OTB...Off The Back....:)