PDA

View Full Version : special chain catcher thingy

eddief
10-06-2018, 01:44 PM
As I recall, when I owned a Specialized Roubaix a ways back, the bottom bracket parts included a thin metal disk that was installed on the spindle right next to the frame. The disk was a number of mm larger in diameter than the spindle itself and was meant to catch the chain after it accidentally derailed but kept it from going down between the bb and the frame and mauling the carbon around the chainstay and bb.

My current Domane came with 11 speed compact drivetrain that I have downgraded to my preferred 10 speed triple stuff. The Domane has a built in chain guide but the chain twice has derailed passed the guide, gotten stuck between the small ring and the frame and is chewing up the carbon.

Am I imagining this? Have you seen this part? Can I buy one?

Dude
10-07-2018, 05:35 AM
Yes it was real, I haven't seen on in years though. First, I'd make sure your derrailleur is setup correctly (if the chain is falling off it's not). Then look for chain catchers. There are a bunch of options that work to guide the chain back onto the small chainring.

If you want that piece specifically, call a bunch of specialized shops and see if they'll mail you one.

djg21
10-07-2018, 06:34 AM
As I recall, when I owned a Specialized Roubaix a ways back, the bottom bracket parts included a thin metal disk that was installed on the spindle right next to the frame. The disk was a number of mm larger in diameter than the spindle itself and was meant to catch the chain after it accidentally derailed but kept it from going down between the bb and the frame and mauling the carbon around the chainstay and bb.

My current Domane came with 11 speed compact drivetrain that I have downgraded to my preferred 10 speed triple stuff. The Domane has a built in chain guide but the chain twice has derailed passed the guide, gotten stuck between the small ring and the frame and is chewing up the carbon.

Am I imagining this? Have you seen this part? Can I buy one?

I,like the K-Edge chain catchers, but there are a number of knockoffs that are less expensive.

https://k-edge.com/product-category/chain-catchers/

Cyzemup
10-07-2018, 08:20 AM
I had a K-Edge on a Specialized Crux. Granted it was on single track but when I would drop my chain it was virtually impossible to get it past the chain catcher. You have to pull pretty hard and it feels like you are going to snap the K-Edge. I think if you are riding on the road they work great but not the best on off road.

jemoryl
10-07-2018, 08:48 AM
I have a Deda Dog Fang on my carbon frame for fear of a dropped chain, but I can't tell if it is working or just I haven't dropped a chain yet on that bike. It isn't the most elegant looking piece of kit, but you can hardly notice it and it only costs about $12. You need a round seat tube for this.

eddief
10-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Today I unbolted it and put a smallish thickish washer between the catcher and the seat tube. Moved it out to within 1 or 2 mm of the small chainring. Think/hope this will do the trick.

Basso69
10-07-2018, 04:58 PM
I also use the deda dog fang. Never a problem with a dropped chain.