PDA

View Full Version : NoVa shops that work on old Italians?

coreyaugustus
10-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Looking for a shop in NoVa (Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, etc) that will chase threads on an Italian threaded bottom bracket. I'm calling around to all the shops I can think of that would be able to do it, but having no luck so far.

Anyone got an idea of who can help?

bward1028
10-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Bicycle Pro Shop couldn't do it? I'd call the Georgetown store.

ultraman6970
10-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Call veloclassique, he is the only one I would trust for that, besides... he is the only one in the area that sure wont scalp you, they have the tool right there, right away.

Stores Ive been in the area dont have the italian chasers, they have to get them from another store or borrow them from somebody, that takes a few days, that being said is common practice around here to ask like 200 bucks for the work in a italian bb frame, if you say yes the dude will go around asking for the tool and with some luck you will have the bike back in a week.

Call wayne at veloclassique, set like an appointment and you will be good to go.

dsimon
10-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Ill concur on Veloclassic i don't care for them that much but if its old and specific I wouldn't go any other place.... Period

bicimechanic
10-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Call veloclassique, he is the only one I would trust for that, besides... he is the only one in the area that sure wont scalp you, they have the tool right there, right away.

Stores Ive been in the area dont have the italian chasers, they have to get them from another store or borrow them from somebody, that takes a few days, that being said is common practice around here to ask like 200 bucks for the work in a italian bb frame, if you say yes the dude will go around asking for the tool and with some luck you will have the bike back in a week.

Call wayne at veloclassique, set like an appointment and you will be good to go.

Places charge $200 to run a tap through a ITA frame?????

cderalow
10-06-2018, 12:33 PM

Yeah. Welcome to the DMV.

If you’re willing to travel you might try Ande’s up in Gaithersburg MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spaghetti Legs
10-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Blue Wheel bikes in Charlottesville has one if you get down this way. Charged me about $50 a couple of years ago.

OtayBW
10-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Or go see Jason and be done!

El Chaba
10-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Two answers in one thread. This is not a hard job, but one that can be fatal to the bike if not done properly....You need to make the trip up to Baltimore and let Jason at Service Course take care of it OR make the trip to Purcellville and let Wayne Bingham do the deed....both are great resources....

Liberace
10-06-2018, 06:47 PM
I've got the tool if you need it.

Sean
Vienna, VA

rccardr
10-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Call Derrick at The Bike Lane in Springfield if Purcellville is too far.
He is an excellent and experienced mech and won't screw it up

jemdet
10-06-2018, 07:59 PM

Insane. You can buy the tool from Peter Evans for less than that

ElvisMerckx
10-06-2018, 08:18 PM
I've had Tom at Plum Grove in Leesburg chase two Italian BBs for me.

makoti
10-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Call Derrick @ The Bike Lane in Springfield. I'll bet he can do it for you.

Oops. I see he was already rec'd. Well, two thumbs up, then

djg
10-07-2018, 08:51 AM

Weren't they (Mel Pinto) the importer for Colnago and others back in the day?

To the OP, some good suggestions, I'm sure, and I haven't had looked for this particular service for a good many years, but I'd be pretty surprised if there are just 2 or 3 shops that have the equipment and know-how. College Park? I probably haven't been up there in 10 years, but I'd have thought they could do it. If the OP is still looking, I can ask around -- know a couple of local riders into Italian steel, including an older Italian.

Mattre
10-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Blue Wheel bikes in Charlottesville has one if you get down this way. Charged me about $50 a couple of years ago.

When I lived in Charlottesville I really liked this shop. They were always really helpful. Price seems more reasonable too.

ultraman6970
10-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Italian BB tool is not something stores have in their arsenal of tools, so they charge you a lot for it so you go somewhere else, if you say yes... well... they rape you right there with your consent, so you can't complain later. But will take a while, for example spokes etc I believe have one set and that set is in a shop in md (at least 3 or 4 years ago), so they needed to bring the tool from there to the shop next to me...

Went to CL, asked there and a guy told me to go to veloclasique.

THe other thing Ive done is to make my own chaser using a steel shimano dura ace cup. Takes longer but it works. Those cups are harder than any thing ive ever seen, they will cut the threads perfectly. Well that's the reason too you see italian BBs busted, they put the cups wrong and then they figured it out after like the 5th turn that the cup is not straight.

Remember wayne charged me like 15 bucks... that was around the time he spend to do it... 10 minutes.

ShockTreatment
10-07-2018, 04:08 PM
I'm in Alexandria, and can do it for you with Campagnolo taps. Please PM me if you still need the work done. -Pete

coreyaugustus
10-08-2018, 05:36 PM

So I'd rather chew off my own foot than go into Georgetown because traffic and tourists and no parking, but since we had plans to go there anyway Sunday, I called ahead and they managed to get it done for $20.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There should be a resource thread to which this can be added.

wgp
10-08-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm in Alexandria, and can do it for you with Campagnolo taps. Please PM me if you still need the work done. -Pete

Big thumbs up for Pete (aka ShockTreatment) - does all my mechanical work with great skill and he's a true bargain.

oldpotatoe
10-09-2018, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE]Italian BB tool is not something stores have in their arsenal of tools

Ya know, I don't expect a shop to have a Swiss or French tap(altho I did), but Italian isn't THAT rare. When outfitting a shop with shop level frame prep tools, you are going to spend some 4 figure amount anyway..add $some$ and get an Italian tap..

No Italian tap...not a 'pro' shop..period..Same with wheelbuilding..can't build wheels? Balderdash...

zap
10-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Big thumbs up for Pete (aka ShockTreatment) - does all my mechanical work with great skill and he's a true bargain.

Second.

Gummee
10-09-2018, 01:47 PM
When I lived in Charlottesville I really liked this shop. They were always really helpful. Price seems more reasonable too.Scott Paisley is also his age group CX national champion

When I'm in C-Ville, I make a point to go visit even tho I'm trying to stay ahead of him and Fred almost every weekend.

Bob at The Bike Stop in Warrenton has the tools and the knowledge too. I did too when I was his mechanic, but I'm not there any more)

M