PDA

View Full Version : 23 year old Jimmy Duquennoy dies aged 23

oldpotatoe
10-06-2018, 07:05 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jimmy-duquennoy-dies-aged-23/
Earlier this year the 23-year-old Belgian rider Michael Goolaerts died after suffering a cardiac arrest during Paris-Roubaix, while another young Belgian Daan Myngheer died after a heart attack at the 2016 Criterium International.

A number of riders have had to call time on their careers in recent years due to heart problems, the latest being 20-year-old neo-pro Tanguy Turgis.

Yikes, be careful out there.

charliedid
10-06-2018, 08:40 AM
I don't really follow bike racing per se, but my memory is telling me this is starting to be or already is a trend? Is this not the 3rd or 4th Belgian kid to die of a heart attack in the past year-ish? Feel free to correct my fuzzy recollection.

Am I wrong to think this is too much training, over training, a non-healthy dose of cortio-whatever with a cargo van size load of EPO?

I know endurance sports can have negative cardiac effects on young people who push too hard but I don't recall reading about Trail Runners or Tri-Athletes suffering the same fates? I also know that congenital heart defects are a thing, because I'm one of those statistics. You occasionally read about a young football or basketball player dying young from heart trouble.

That said, my critical thinking/skeptical mind thinks this is all due to the "training program" they are on.

These are *&^%$!^ children for god sakes. I never really talk much about doping on this forum because part of me could really care less, but this is crazy.

Color me not surprised.

Spaghetti Legs
10-06-2018, 08:47 AM
This is a guess, but I would suspect that these young men die on their bikes at about the same rate that young men die on the football and soccer fields and basketball courts from congenital heart defects and other conditions making them prone to abnormal heart rhythms. I think calling them out as dopers would be premature.

oldpotatoe
10-06-2018, 08:58 AM
This is a guess, but I would suspect that these young men die on their bikes at about the same rate that young men die on the football and soccer fields and basketball courts from congenital heart defects and other conditions making them prone to abnormal heart rhythms. I think calling them out as dopers would be premature.

BUT this 'seems' to be centered around young Belgium cyclists..(yes, only 3 but...)too bad, for a young son of somebody to die in any 'sport', game, very sad.

cderalow
10-06-2018, 12:43 PM
BUT this 'seems' to be centered around young Belgium cyclists..(yes, only 3 but...)too bad, for a young son of somebody to die in any 'sport', game, very sad.

I would say they probably die at an equivalent rate as young African Americans playing football or basketball or young Europeans playing soccer

Meaning they did in the sport that’s popular to them because the defect doesn’t care what they’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pincopallinobis
10-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Yes, very sad and very scary. I remember Goolaerts, that was awful.

But maybe like others say it is also the social media instant publication of these events that makes the number seem high, to us? When you look for a red car you start to see all red cars, right? I do not know, but maybe the proportion of young athletes in other high-stress sports is similar, but we do not hear so much about them?

I would say they probably die at an equivalent rate as young African Americans playing football or basketball or young Europeans playing soccer

Meaning they did in the sport that’s popular to them because the defect doesn’t care what they’re doing.
Why African Americans singled out?

People of all races play American football. and people of other races/nationalities/genders play soccer, all over the world not just in Europe.

dddd
10-06-2018, 10:42 PM
...Why African Americans singled out?

People of all races play American football. and people of other races/nationalities/genders play soccer, all over the world not just in Europe.

If there is one situation where I feel that it's truly appropriate to consider one's ethnicity, it's in regard to medical conditions.

All ethnicities are seemingly involved in sports, but genetic predispositions to medical issues do statistically correlate to ethnicity.
I've not previously noticed that Belgians had any statistical predisposition to cardiac events.

As far as statics having to do with rates of sports participation (at various age progression), I would consider that more class/cultural/regional than ethnic.

Fixed
10-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Sounds like the epo days of the 90’s when Dutch riders were dying while sleeping and told to sleep standing up

Pearsom
10-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Very sad.

Per the team director "No abnormality had been detected in the pre-season tests"

Anyone know what a pro pre-season work-up looks like these days?

charliedid
10-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Very sad.

Per the team director "No abnormality had been detected in the pre-season tests"

Anyone know what a pro pre-season work-up looks like these days?

Cough