PDA

View Full Version : Seatposts for Colnago C50

Delpo
11-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Would like to request the assistance of fellow C50 owners in regards to selecting a seatpost. I currently own a Colnago carbon seat post and although it works great it is very difficult to adjust. The only other seat post I have seen in the 28 size is the Thomson masterpiece but have been told that there is a significant difference in bump and vibration absorbption between the Colnago carbon seatpost and the Thomson mastepiece. Any truth to that? Are there any other seat posts out there in the size 28? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Delpo

Spicoli
11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
GET THE SHIM AND BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT. :banana:

Delpo
11-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Did that on an E1 that I also own and it cracked the frame at the seat clamp. That is why I am wary of the shim. Thanks for the post.

Delpo

djg
11-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Would like to request the assistance of fellow C50 owners in regards to selecting a seatpost. I currently own a Colnago carbon seat post and although it works great it is very difficult to adjust. The only other seat post I have seen in the 28 size is the Thomson masterpiece but have been told that there is a significant difference in bump and vibration absorbption between the Colnago carbon seatpost and the Thomson mastepiece. Any truth to that? Are there any other seat posts out there in the size 28? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Delpo

I haven't actually tried these two posts, but I've had seatposts of various materials, including steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber (with and without al heads), and I've never noticed a difference in bump and vibration absorption between two seatposts. These are basically sticks with clamps at the end--relatively short (unless you have an ultra-compact frame), thick-walled, rigid tubes. Maybe the sorts of seatposts that have built-in shock absorbers work, but I wouldn't look to a rigid post to provide more comfort on a bike, unless of course you're talking about swapping posts because one allows you to get your desired setback and one does not.

Grant McLean
11-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Did that on an E1 that I also own and it cracked the frame at the seat clamp. That is why I am wary of the shim. Thanks for the post.

Delpo

Please explain.

How did you come to the conclusion that a shim cracked the frame?

g

fstrthnu
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Tune in imho.

Fstrthnu

norcalbiker
11-08-2006, 09:46 AM
I have a Colnago seatpost on my C50 and I can make any adjustment without any issue at all. Hmmm....

Good luck

sspielman
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Selcof makes posts in 28 mm...but they are generally very similar tothe Colnago post, as they make the Colnago posts as well. Personally, I like the Selcof two bolt system as I find it very secure and strong. I have never had too much difficulty in achieving an adjustment, but then again, once I get it set, I never move it. In the blatant opinion category, I hate shims of any type...they are a compromise solution and should be a last resort and not a first....and they certainly are beneath the dignity of something the quality of a C50...

terry b
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
My C50 shipped with a 27.2 post and a shim. There was a period where the Colnago post was not available. I've not had any problems.

Grant McLean
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I hate shims of any type...they are a compromise solution and should be a last resort and not a first....and they certainly are beneath the dignity of something the quality of a C50...

Every c40 has a shim in the stem, to reduce the 1 1/8 diameter to 1".

What's the big deal?

g

cpg
11-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Every c40 has a shim in the stem, to reduce the 1 1/8 diameter to 1".

What's the big deal?

g

While not a big deal, shims are a cheesy band-aid fix rather than properly engineering the product atmo. FWIW that's my first use of atmo. I know shims have found some acceptance in the market place and yes I know they work but still why not properly engineer that bloody thing to fit a seat post?

Curt

sspielman
11-08-2006, 10:28 AM
What Curt said.....

Grant McLean
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
While not a big deal, shims are a cheesy band-aid fix rather than properly engineering the product atmo. FWIW that's my first use of atmo. I know shims have found some acceptance in the market place and yes I know they work but still why not properly engineer that bloody thing to fit a seat post?

Curt

ATMO also uses shims in his stems. :)

I TOTALLY agree, but in the real world, where everyone wants to use a different
brand stem or post on any frame, that's ALOT of sizes, no?

If you're going to double the sku count, I'd much rather have stems every
0.5cm than in both 1" and 1 1/8".

For the "custom" crowd, I'd just prefer a custom stem with my custom frame.

There's no reason to lock the world into using seat tubes of 27.2 inside diameter
either. I think Seven have a neat solution, just glue a 27.2 shim inside the
seattube after the custom diameter is set, and when the seat collar is on,
no one even knows.

g

J.Greene
11-08-2006, 10:57 AM
For the "custom" crowd, I'd just prefer a custom stem with my custom frame
g

G, go full custom and add a custom shim to your custom stem and frame. :rolleyes:

JG

R2D2
11-08-2006, 11:05 AM
How's the Colnago hard to adjust?
Fore/aft? Tilt?
You only set that once and forget it.

Height?
If height and slips try some FSA or TACX carbon install compound.

Spicoli
11-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Got Em Both, But Go With Dura Ace/shim Combo Lately. And Then When I'm Feelin Friskey I Go Shimless W/ The Black Carbon Seatpost Number ;) "thats Hott"! 27.2 Is 27.2 Or 28.0 Is 28.0

cpg
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
ATMO also uses shims in his stems. :)

I TOTALLY agree, but in the real world, where everyone wants to use a different
brand stem or post on any frame, that's ALOT of sizes, no?

If you're going to double the sku count, I'd much rather have stems every
0.5cm than in both 1" and 1 1/8".

For the "custom" crowd, I'd just prefer a custom stem with my custom frame.

There's no reason to lock the world into using seat tubes of 27.2 inside diameter
either. I think Seven have a neat solution, just glue a 27.2 shim inside the
seattube after the custom diameter is set, and when the seat collar is on,
no one even knows.

g

You got me on the stem thing. I'm not advocating 27.2 seat posts for everything. I'm more of a fan of what Moots does where they weld on a piece to the seat tube that has a specific ID while at the same time increasing the wall thickness thereby reducing the issues from welding and repeated tightening and loosening of the binder. Colnago is making err having these things made, why not nail down the seat tube ID to work in the real world of seat posts? Coming up with your own standard is fine from a marketing standpoint but... remember the non standard bb's on Fat Chance or was it Merlin? Seemed like a neat idea but when the bb's died the customers had a difficult time replacing them. This seems akin to that. Maybe Colnago should come up with their own steerer diameter then you could only use their fork and headset. Oh wait, they're not French. :)

Curt