PDA

View Full Version : OT: Little Steven tour

oliver1850
10-04-2018, 09:33 PM
I haven't seen him play since the 1981 River tour. Like his radio show despite his fixation with the mafia. Anyone seen him play recently? Just wondering if it's worth the 200 mile drive and $40 ticket price.

iPaul
10-05-2018, 04:43 AM
I saw his opening show in NJ and really enjoyed it. Sounded great and the band is tight. But what out it over the top was I had the privilege of seeing Bruce join him and did like 4 songs. To me Steve injected the soul in Springsteen’s music but then again I’m a sucker for some good horn playing. My vote it’s worth it.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Is it The Diciples Of Soul show? I saw that earlier this year, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm from Jersey, and he is the coolest guy from that state, by far.

There were way too many people on stage. I think I counted 15. Horns, two guitar, three women backup singers (have to have them) two drummers, keyboards, on and on. So the sound was just one big mess (this was a fairly large hall that held maybe 1500). Must have been a sound mixers nightmare. One song went on for maybe twenty minutes because he gave seven or eight band members a solo. I thought it would never end. How does he pay all these people?
Music was pretty meh, too. But 40 bucks is cheap, compared to what I have to pay in the NY region. I can't see a show for less than 175 around here.

oliver1850
10-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like one endorsement and one not so much. The guy is a bit of an enigma to me. I know him more from the radio show than from his own records. I like the records he plays on the show but have the impression that his music is generally less accessible, more esoteric, just not that great. Has he written a good song? I can't name one. My comments sound much more negative than my general impression of him. I should try to catch up on his recent records and go from there.

iPaul
10-06-2018, 02:49 AM
Agree, if you are not a fan of his music I can’t say I’d recommend going. I’ve always enjoyed his old solo albums and his contribution with Southside Johnny. His writing and arrangements represent what the Jersey sound is to me.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like one endorsement and one not so much. The guy is a bit of an enigma to me. I know him more from the radio show than from his own records. I like the records he plays on the show but have the impression that his music is generally less accessible, more esoteric, just not that great. Has he written a good song? I can't name one. My comments sound much more negative than my general impression of him. I should try to catch up on his recent records and go from there.

You know, I was thinking that his music is pretty much the opposite of the music he likes to play on his show and champions. He has said more than once that the Ramones are the pinnacle of garage music, and most of the other stuff on his playlist is short, punchy singles, but the music he performs are long, somewhat leaden quasi R&B jams. Strange.