PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a kids bike? Isla Bikes Closing!

hokoman
10-04-2018, 03:07 PM
https://www.islabikes.com/islabikesusclosure/

I ordered 2 bikes for my kids about 2 weeks ago, but placed another order for 2 more bikes last night after I found out about Isla closing. I think it's hard finding high quality kids bikes, and the ones I got a couple weeks ago are really nice. A loss in a segment of a niche market.

kookmyers
10-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Wow. Just ordered even though we bought a used woom last weekend.
Too bad the 20” is gearless...

trener1
10-04-2018, 03:34 PM
Another good one is Cleary.

soupless
10-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Thanks OP.

hokoman
10-04-2018, 04:23 PM
I spoke to customer service just now.. they said they got slammed with orders and they are a couple weeks out on shipments because they are required by law to assemble all kids bikes.

They have a 20" gear bike, btw.

Spaghetti Legs
10-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, wonder if it’s a tariff thing. Looks like it’s a British company with US branch in Portland. Never heard of them but looks like a nice option for a quality, long lasting kids bike. The older, bigger kids bikes are kind of pricey, even at sale prices.

hokoman
10-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Hmmm, wonder if it’s a tariff thing. Looks like it’s a British company with US branch in Portland. Never heard of them but looks like a nice option for a quality, long lasting kids bike. The older, bigger kids bikes are kind of pricey, even at sale prices.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing about tariffs, but I also think the US market that spends $400 on a 16" bike for their kids is very small. After buying my kids the first two last month, I was really impressed with the quality. The design on the quick release training wheels is slick and well designed. The grips and hand brakes are tiny and my 3 and 4 year old can grab them easily.

rustychisel
10-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Yes, Isla is an English company... have 2 kids bikes here which came over from London, for a 5 y/o and an 8 y/o. Good to excellent quality and well thought out units.

Oh, and they're red!!

JWDR
10-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Maybe they are closing because they charge significantly more for slightly better product. My kids have owned two Spawns, a Specialized, a Scott and two trek kids bike. Nothing on Islabikes has ever made me open my wallet.

4Rings6Stars
10-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Maybe they are closing because they charge significantly more for slightly better product. My kids have owned two Spawns, a Specialized, a Scott and two trek kids bike. Nothing on Islabikes has ever made me open my wallet.

Meh, I’ll have to disagree. We have two islabikes and I would say marginally more money for a significantly nicer bike. The things last too. Our cnoc 14 is currently on its fourth child.

I have the next size up waiting for my 3 year old for next year.