PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Etap, my way!

BikeNY
10-04-2018, 03:05 PM
So I've got my Franken-Etap all setup and have a couple of rides on it, and it actually works! Thought others might be interested, as it's far from the standard Etap build.

Quick backstory: I took delivery of a custom Carver Ti Allroad frame about 2 months ago, and started out swapping basically all of the parts over from a Salsa Vaya. At about the same time I was researching Etap and the soon-to -be-released Etap Eagle 1x12 group. I learned that It could be setup with just blips for shifters instead of the full Etap Brifters. So I formulated a plan to make a 1x11 setup involving a Blip Box, 2 sets of Blips, an Etap WiFli rear deraileur, a wide range 11 speed cassette, and a set of TRP Hylex brakes. Oh and a snazzy new Salsa Cowchipper bar and ESI bartape that I bought a while back and never used.

My biggest concern was getting a wide enough range going 1x11. The bike was originally setup (2x10)with a low & wide range. 42t & 28t chainrings from an SRAM MTN crank, and an 11-36 cassette and a 10 speed Ultegra derailleur and a Wolftooth Roadlink. According to SRAM, the WiFli mid gauge mech will work with up to a 32t cog, but I read a bunch of reports of people running 34t and even 36T cogs without issue. Although not endorsed by anyone, I figured I could use the Roadlink to use at least a 42t cog, and maybe even bigger. I have a couple of mountain bikes that are setup 1x11 with 11-42t and 11-46t Sunrace cassettes, so that would be my starting point. If I could get the 11-46t to work, using a 36t chainring would get my low gear about the same, with the high being a bit short of what I had before. I can live with that for now. This bike is really more for dirt than asphalt anyway. It's currently running Schwalbe Big One 27.5x2.35 tires!

So with my plan set, I took my time and started carefully shopping for parts, using coupons from shops and Ebay, etc. to keep the costs down. $1100 later, I had everything I needed, TRP Hylex brakes, Blip box, 2 sets of blips, WiFli rear derailleur & battery charger. Next step was figuring out where I wanted to Blips. I knew one set was going on the tops, and the other set somewhere on the brake lever body. TRP actually sells a part to adapt blips to the Hylex brakes, and I ended up getting that as well. I decided I didn't like the location using that adapter, so I just used some 3M tape to mount the blips and then punched a hole in the rubber hoods. I was trying to locate them to be accessible from the hoods and from the drops, but was only partially successful. I'll still be playing with the location in the future. The Blip Box uses the same mount as a Garmin, and I mounted it under the stem with one of those adjustable headset spacer mounts, actually worked perfectly.

Amazingly, it all actually works! Setup of the rear derailleur and shifting adjustments were a piece of cake. I'm using the 11-46t cassette right now, and the B-adjustment screw is screwed in only halfway to get the suggested 6mm-8mm between the biggest cog and the upper jockey wheel. Shifting is not lightning quick, like I imagine XTR DI2 would be, but it works perfectly.

Also, the TRP Hylex brakes are SO much better than the Spyre mechanical setup that I was using before. Hoods are comfy and the hydraulic braking is light years ahead of the mechanicals. The cowchippers have a nice feel to them as well. I put a wrap of old inner tube from the brake levers along the tops before wrapping the ESI tape, and it feels really nice, a bit more girth and cushioning just where it's needed. The ESI tape feels really nice as well.

I'm a couple of rides in and really happy so far. I was having so much fun I forgot to take pictures though! I'll get some picture up in the next day or two showing the whole setup.

David Tollefson
10-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Pics!

It sounds like a fun build.

soupless
10-04-2018, 04:04 PM
I'd very much like to see pics as well. Sounds cool!

weisan
10-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Good on you NY bike. There are many ways to skin a cat. Unfortunately a lot of times we limit ourselves by insisting that it had to be done a certain way.

Cyzemup
10-04-2018, 09:36 PM
I had horrible luck with TRP cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes. Let me know how they hold up over time. Pics would be cool!! Sounds nice!

BikeNY
10-05-2018, 07:35 AM
I had horrible luck with TRP cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes. Let me know how they hold up over time. Pics would be cool!! Sounds nice!

I'm not using cable actuated hydraulic brakes. The TRP Hylex is a full hydraulic system.

Bonesbrigade
10-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out! As you know, I've been using my Franken-etap 2x11 setup for 2 years problem free.

Good job on the wolftooth roadlink hack for a bigger cassette - I may try that if I go the 1x direction some day.

pics please!

v531xc
10-05-2018, 12:06 PM
I was recently thinking of a similar build with eTap or Di2 climbing shifters. Would love to see pics!

zross312
10-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Interesting, because I was thinking of upgrading from my TRP Spyres to a set of HyRd's. Any desire to expand on said horrible luck?

foo_fighter
10-05-2018, 10:53 PM
My HyRd's were a huge upgrade over the Spyres.

Interesting, because I was thinking of upgrading from my TRP Spyres to a set of HyRd's. Any desire to expand on said horrible luck?

BikeNY
10-08-2018, 08:27 AM
I had the first proper ride on the new build, and happy to report it worked perfectly. The ride was the Dirty Apple in Westchester, NY. Mix if road and gravel, some pretty rough, some steep hills, though nothing too long. And some moisture thrown in of course. No closeups yet, but a couple pictures from the ride:

Kirk007
10-08-2018, 08:58 AM
love it!

weisan
10-08-2018, 09:17 AM
great setup.

have you tried the GravelKings before? How do they compare to the Schwalbe?

BikeNY
10-08-2018, 09:24 AM
great setup.

have you tried the GravelKings before? How do they compare to the Schwalbe?

Never tried Gravel kings. My previous 2 builds used Compass tires, Switchback Hill and Babyshow Pass. I haven't researched them, but I don't think the Gravel Kings come in anything close to this size.

SoCalSteve
10-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Would love to see closeups of where and how you mounted the blip box and blips x4. Thanks!

BikeNY
10-17-2018, 08:53 AM
Finally remembered to take some pictures on my ride this past weekend, hopefully you can make out the setup. Couple of notes: Because the blip box is mounted upside down, the connectors from the right side blips have to go to the left side, thus the cable crossover over the stem. That's what I cam up with when first setting it up, and the cables were just the right length to make it work. The blips on the flats are currently mounted facing straight down, seems to work pretty well. They are mounted using the clamps, so I can loosen and re-position if I want. The blips on the hoods are currently reachable with my middle and ring fingers, depending on my position on the hoods. Works OK, but not great. I'll probably buy a new set of covers and try out a few different setups to see what works best.

binouye
10-17-2018, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=BikeNY;2435534]
Quick backstory: I took delivery of a custom Carver Ti Allroad frame about 2 months ago, ....]

The Carver frames seem like a good deal, and I mostly hear good things about them. Can you post a quick comment on the frame and experience with Carver?

I'm wondering which bits of the frame were custom instead of default, and why you chose them. Looks like flat mounts, split stay for potential belt use but no sliders, external cables, 44mm head tube? Or are the bolts on the seatstay for fenders/rack and not a splitter?

BikeNY
10-17-2018, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=BikeNY;2435534]
Quick backstory: I took delivery of a custom Carver Ti Allroad frame about 2 months ago, ....]

The Carver frames seem like a good deal, and I mostly hear good things about them. Can you post a quick comment on the frame and experience with Carver?

I'm wondering which bits of the frame were custom instead of default, and why you chose them. Looks like flat mounts, split stay for potential belt use but no sliders, external cables, 44mm head tube? Or are the bolts on the seatstay for fenders/rack and not a splitter?

Happy to expand on the frame. I've had a few off-the-shelf Carver mountain bikes over the years(still have one actually) and have talked to Davis Carver a number of times. Very easy to talk to and work with, as well as being very knowledgeable. I've gone through a couple of other frames over the last few years for my gravel riding and finally decided it was time to get exactly what I wanted. The main things I wanted that really were not available were clearance for BIG tires, a nice upright position with tall headtube, and higher/less sloped top tube. My frame is based on their off-the-shelf Allroad with a number of tweaks. I didn't want sliding dropouts as I don't like the look, and have no plans to run SS or IGH. The Etap was actually an afterthought, so the frame has all the cable stops for a normal setup. The frame will clear 27.5x2.4 and 29x2.0 tires while still using a 68mm BB shell. 205mm long 44mm headtube. 142mm rear thru axle. Fender mounts on both bridges and fender & rack mounts on the seatstays(No belt split). Post mount discs. Nice big front triangle to fit a partial frame bag with 2 big water bottles, or at some point a big full frame bag. 2 bottle mounts inside the frame, and triple mounts under the down tube. It's built around a 420mm A-C fork, currently running a cheap China carbon MTB fork, but have a titanium fork on order from Waltly that will also have rack/fender/triple mounts, 15mmx100mm thru axle, & a tapered steerer. I think that's everything.

Davis was great to work with, and we went back and forth on a bunch of details, including small stuff like bottle boss and cable stop placement. I gave him final approval on June 21st and had the frame in hand on August 9th.

The frame rides great. It's not overly stiff or flexy, Honestly, I really just don't notice it while riding. It just does what it needs to with no fuss. I like titanium for a bike like this mostly so I don't have to worry about paint chips and rust. Currently running Schwalbe Big One 27.5x2.35 tires which I love! I try to find as much dirt as possible on my road rides lately, and this thing just eats up all of it, smooth dirt roads, rough gravel, buff singletrack, etc. Not the best tires for mud, but I try to stay away from that stuff! This is my only road bike, and I have plans to get a set of 700c wheels as well, and run something like 32mm tires for smoother stuff.

GoldenUnicorn
04-08-2021, 11:47 AM
Resurrecting this thread a bit.

I'm interested in doing the same thing here. How has the derailleur held up with the 46t cassette? Any issues after two years?

Thanks!

mdeth1313
04-08-2021, 01:57 PM
I had the first proper ride on the new build, and happy to report it worked perfectly. The ride was the Dirty Apple in Westchester, NY. Mix if road and gravel, some pretty rough, some steep hills, though nothing too long. And some moisture thrown in of course. No closeups yet, but a couple pictures from the ride:

Croton Dam (in the pic)?