PDA

View Full Version : R/L brake pads: Big deal?

makoti
10-03-2018, 06:25 PM
I don't THINK so, but....
I had a strange thump on my front wheel when braking. Worse early in the ride, better later. Only happened w/alloy wheels, but with two different ones. Didn't happen when I switched to carbon. So as a last check, I swapped my front & rear pads and lo, the thumps appears to be gone. But now, since the front are on the back & vice versa, the pads are switched R to L. I never even knew they WERE R or L specific.
Does it matter? Can I run them like this or should I really buy a new set and swap them out so the are "correct"? They aren't stupid pricey, so it's not a big deal. Just wondering if it really matters.

jtakeda
10-03-2018, 07:13 PM
As long as the pads aren’t mounted so the opening is with the rotation direction you should be fine

makoti
10-03-2018, 08:45 PM
As long as the pads aren’t mounted so the opening is with the rotation direction you should be fine

It's just the pads that are changed. the actual shoes they go into didn't change.

jtakeda
10-03-2018, 09:38 PM
It's just the pads that are changed. the actual shoes they go into didn't change.

Ohhh. Never switched them so I have no idea.

Hindmost
10-03-2018, 10:52 PM
If the pads are right and left specific it's not clear how when exchanged front and rear, the left and right would be switched. (Maybe I'm not getting it right. Were they incorrectly installed previously?)

makoti
10-03-2018, 11:07 PM
If the pads are right and left specific it's not clear how when exchanged front and rear, the left and right would be switched. (Maybe I'm not getting it right. Were they incorrectly installed previously?)

Now that you point it out, that is odd. I need to take them out again and see what's going on.

simonov
10-04-2018, 04:55 AM
Pads have a slight curve to them to follow the contours of the rim. While front and rear brakes are oriented 180 degrees from each other, the brake pad shoes are in the same direction. So if your pads slipped into the shoes without fuss and are properly seated, they're probably installed correctly and not reversed.

The thump could have come from something embedded or an imperfection on the surface of the pads. Front braking is subjected to more forces, which is why front pads typically wear out first, so you likely just aren't noticing the problem when those pads got moved to the rear. You may want to take the rear pads (former front pads) out and check out the braking surface.

makoti
10-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Now that you point it out, that is odd. I need to take them out again and see what's going on.

Well, apparently I was sleeping while I set this up. Right is right both front & back. I don't know what I was thinking, but I managed to put them in upside down. SMH.

Hindmost
10-05-2018, 04:20 PM
I've been known to install stuff once, twice, three times until I got it right. Trial and error.

Regarding your thump. Maybe the pads were tracking over an irregularity, seam, or edge of the rim?

makoti
10-05-2018, 05:44 PM
I've been known to install stuff once, twice, three times until I got it right. Trial and error.

Regarding your thump. Maybe the pads were tracking over an irregularity, seam, or edge of the rim?

Happened with two different wheels & didn't when those wheels were moved to another bike. And the pads look fine. Don't see an issue with them. Lots of wear left, nothing damaged or stuck in one.