PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Riding north of Baltimore, MD

DaveS
10-03-2018, 04:59 PM
It is getting more and more likely that I'll relocate from Raleigh to somewhere north of Baltimore (hopefully w/in a 25-30 minute commute of the Cockeysville/Sparks area) over the next couple of months.

Does anyone live or work in the area? How's the riding (and riding community?). Reasonable routes without having to drive anywhere?

Thanks for any help/tips!

DaveS

mcteague
10-03-2018, 05:48 PM
There are loads of great roads in the Hunt Valley area, just a bit north of Cockeysville. Some real pricy real estate, huge horse farms etc. Traffic is fairly light once you get out of the busy industrial complex area.

Tim

Mr. Pink
10-03-2018, 08:49 PM
We were just talking about this in another thread. Wonderful biking. My old girlfriend lived on an estate in Hunt Valley, so I rode many miles there. Fantastic.

You just missed Larry's Ride http://larrysride.com , which is a very well organized group ride every early fall that would have answered your question. Here's the 65 mile ride from this season https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28672808 All the stuff around and through the Prettyboy Resevior just north is excellent. Basically, miles of riding to the PA. border and beyond. Downside is summer heat. You have to do dawn rides in July and August.

Edit: This is far from OT.

OtayBW
10-03-2018, 08:53 PM
It is getting more and more likely that I'll relocate from Raleigh to somewhere north of Baltimore (hopefully w/in a 25-30 minute commute of the Cockeysville/Sparks area) over the next couple of months.

Does anyone live or work in the area? How's the riding (and riding community?). Reasonable routes without having to drive anywhere?

Thanks for any help/tips!

DaveS
Tons. I live in the Hunt Valley area. You're in horse country up there, so it's out the door, head pretty much any direction except S and you're good to go. Plenty of rides going out all around.

rounder
10-03-2018, 08:56 PM
I lived in Towson (northern Baltimore County) and now live in Bel Air (Harford County).

Northern Baltimore County, including Hunt Valley is beautiful and there are lots of good roads for bike riding. Harford County, which is a little northeast of Baltimore County is also beautiful and a little more rural. You should check out both.

DaveS
10-04-2018, 03:17 AM
Thanks to all for the info, that's great to hear.

It's interesting, I've been traveling to Sparks for years, but typically don't see anything other than a corporate campus and the inside of an Embassy suites. Looking forward to exploring the area.

DaveS
10-04-2018, 03:19 AM
Downside is summer heat. You have to do dawn rides in July and August.

This sounds similar to summer riding in NC, so hopefully won't be too much of an unpleasant surprise!

skiezo
10-04-2018, 03:45 AM
There is a huge biking community in Lancaster PA as well. There is a great shop in the area called Era ski and bike. It is worth stopping in and checking out their upstairs. Lots of high end bikes and the owner is a great guy.

zap
10-04-2018, 08:15 AM
This sounds similar to summer riding in NC, so hopefully won't be too much of an unpleasant surprise!

Having lived and cycled in metro D.C. (and to/around metro Baltimore) for 30 years summers will not be a problem. Moved to the Raleigh area 2 years ago.

The difference will be motorists. A little less friendly in Maryland countryside and forget about taking the entire lane if you are riding with a small group.

Countryside and roads outside Baltimore are quite nice.

avalonracing
10-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Welcome! I sent you a PM.