PDA

View Full Version : sell me on SP dynamo

Luwabra
10-03-2018, 12:52 PM
whos got it and whats the real world review? r3awak3n peaked my interest this am after i almost pulled the trigger on a shimano but i'd like some reviews if there are any.

thanks

jtakeda
10-03-2018, 01:44 PM
They look good. They’re easy to wire. They’re small and available in a bunch of varieties and different hole count.

I havent had any issues with the 2 I have. Not to mention they’re $125, so way cheaper.

They don’t make them anymore but I believe that the “kasei” dynamo are the same thing

R3awak3n
10-03-2018, 02:12 PM
They look good. They’re easy to wire. They’re small and available in a bunch of varieties and different hole count.

I havent had any issues with the 2 I have. Not to mention they’re $125, so way cheaper.

They don’t make them anymore but I believe that the “kasei” dynamo are the same thing

oh really? SP is no more?

that is a bummer, they are great dyno hubs at good prices... Have used 2 myself and have talked to a lot of people that have them and have not heard of many issues

jtakeda
10-03-2018, 02:13 PM
oh really? SP is no more?

that is a bummer, they are great dyno hubs at good prices... Have used 2 myself and have talked to a lot of people that have them and have not heard of many issues

Looking around it looks like there are plenty of places selling them. I thought I had read they went under but maybe not??

R3awak3n
10-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Looking around it looks like there are plenty of places selling them. I thought I had read they went under but maybe not??

Actually now that you mentioned I seem to have heard that too.

Sinewavecycles is where I got mine and they still seem to have em though

v531xc
10-03-2018, 03:21 PM
I really like mine. I have one on my Chapman and its been trouble free since day one. I really like the wire attachment plug. I've been planning on getting a second one for another bike, so I guess I better do that now!

Tall
10-04-2018, 08:02 AM
I was an early adopter, buying my first one I think in 2011, and two more later on. They've been completely trouble-free. The only negative thing I could say about them is that the flange distance is relatively small, resulting in somewhat less lateral stiffness in the wheels. Would buy again.

All mine are from the 8 series; I have read some complaints about QC issues with the 9 series.

hoj
10-04-2018, 08:32 AM
I know I'm probably in the minority here as most people have positive things to say about SP dynamos, but my experience was different. I bought their new SP SV9 in December 2017 for use on my commuter, and it died on me within 5 months of use. I'm not hard on my gear and I keep my bikes tuned, but suffice it to say I was fairly disappointed with the experience.

The guys at starbike.com helped me with the warranty replacement, but never told me what the actual problem was that caused it to die --- they just said it was dead and fell under their warranty. I opted (at their recommendation) to go with a SON28 dynamo instead. That's what I'm riding now and it's been great so far. They are a bit pricier, but I'm hopeful the extra cost will pay for itself in the long run.

Again, I know SP dynamos generally have favorable reviews and are priced more competitively, which is why I originally purchased one. Maybe mine was defective, who knows. My $0.02

Luwabra
10-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Great stuff. I’m looking to build into a 26” rim brake for long gravel races that go through the night. Pair it w a Busch muller maybe.. these honest real world reviews are very helpful

Thanks!

hoj
10-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Great stuff. I’m looking to build into a 26” rim brake for long gravel races that go through the night. Pair it w a Busch muller maybe.. these honest real world reviews are very helpful

Thanks!

Now that you mention it, I will say I have my dynamo paired with the Busch & Muller IQ-X headlight (this was also the headlight I had paired with my SP SV9 before it died). The light is awesome --- super pleased with it. If you're looking for a solid headlight, I would give the IQ-X a serious look.

ptourkin
10-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks!

Look at the Sinewave Beacon and the new KLite ultra for this. The Sinewave is especially good for overnight endurance racing if you're doing a lot of climbing as it can use an external battery for a boost when the dyno isn't getting enough revs.

I've always used the German lights, but although they're solid, I feel like they are falling behind for the purposes we're using them for now.

Also, consider a SON28 for your hub.

marciero
10-04-2018, 09:30 AM
I was an early adopter, buying my first one I think in 2011, and two more later on. They've been completely trouble-free. The only negative thing I could say about them is that the flange distance is relatively small, resulting in somewhat less lateral stiffness in the wheels. Would buy again.

All mine are from the 8 series; I have read some complaints about QC issues with the 9 series.

I have two of them. Both are the 15mm thru-axle disc, with many thousands of happy miles. They are 8 series. I do note that the thru axle has larger flange diameter than the QR version, and mitigates the narrow flange distance somewhat. In fact, I use the thru-axle version with an adapter on on our tandem for this reason.

I also have a kasei. It seems similar but the wire attachment does not seem to "click" into place. Mildly annoying but no biggie.

I note also that the resistance of these units is on par with the Son. The Son seem superior quality-probably better sealed, etc. That said, I did have one Son fail on me after a low-speed slide-out crash. Was replaced without question by Peter White.

559Rando
10-04-2018, 03:10 PM

+1 I had good use of an 8 series (until I sold be bike) in rainy PDX. It seemed to have a similar (lack of) resistance compared to the SONdelux that replaced it.

Upon this recommendation, a buddy bought a 9-series and got about 1 year off riding out of it until it developed hella play. He warranteed it (for an 8, which he's selling...PM me if you're interest) and decided the universe was encouraging him buy a SON.

Luwabra
10-09-2018, 09:38 AM
What about Shimano?? As compared to sp/son?

weisan
10-09-2018, 09:53 AM
I am waiting for the Shutter Precision Pd-8x-m 32h 6 bolt disc QR hub that I have ordered to come in. I am agonizing whether I want to build it into a 700cc or 650b/27.5 wheel.

Luwabra
10-09-2018, 10:03 AM
I am waiting for the Shutter Precision Pd-8x-m 32h 6 bolt disc QR hub that I have ordered to come in. I am agonizing whether I want to build it into a 700cc or 650b/27.5 wheel.

My retro grouch rim brakes for life non conformist self needs a pv-8 :)
Looking fwd to getting your review weisan!

jtakeda
10-09-2018, 12:18 PM
What about Shimano?? As compared to sp/son?

The shimano works. It is definitely uglier and I can definitely feel more drag on it when compared to sp and son.

I need to go home to double check which model shimano we have but I can say that it does feel a little lower quality than SP

Luwabra
10-09-2018, 12:23 PM
The shimano works. It is definitely uglier and I can definitely feel more drag on it when compared to sp and son.

I need to go home to double check which model shimano we have but I can say that it does feel a little lower quality than SP

oh man yes definitely uglier but as far as performance..? Im leaning SP as bang for the buck right now. Treefort has them for 129$ with 10% cash back and free shipping so thats not bad.. pair it with a dt350 rear if black or an older silver xt if I go silver...

efixler
10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
FWIW I've had no issues with SP Dynamos. I've had 2, ridden on both through the winter, and had zero issues.

I don't love the connectors, but I think that most non-SON Dynos use exactly the same connector.

efixler
10-09-2018, 12:40 PM
If you're using one of the newer 9 series dynamos with rim brakes, however, you'll notice that the flanges look weirdly narrow because they space them at the same width as the disk version.

I don't use one of these, so I can't say how it is in practice, but I think it looks weird.

unterhausen
10-09-2018, 01:07 PM
I haven't bought an SP in a while. I have 3, all disc models. Two for my gravel bike and one for my mountain bike. One QR and two TA. Ended up buying a SON for my fatbike because SP pulled theirs from the market for a while. I probably will get the SONs with contacts at the dropouts from now on, I don't like connectors. I have heard of problems with SP, but I haven't had any bad experiences. I like the wide flanged SON hubs.

You can overhaul the Shimano hubs. I have a lot of miles on mine. I have one that is seized, not sure if I can fix it. The overhaul procedure is online, it doesn't look particularly easy. I bought the seized one used, and have tons of miles on it, so I'm not unhappy. I probably should have overhauled it before now. All the others need to go back to somewhere to get worked on, so that's an advantage for Shimanos

alembical
10-11-2018, 02:46 PM
I have the Shutter Precision and Busch & Muller IQ-X combo as well. I have been very happy but this will be the first winter commuting with it and we will see how it holds up. I have mine with thru axle, disc brakes and a 650 wheel build.

donevwil
10-11-2018, 03:37 PM
I have the Shutter Precision and Busch & Muller IQ-X combo as well. I have been very happy but this will be the first winter commuting with it and we will see how it holds up. I have mine with thru axle, disc brakes and a 650 wheel build.

Same setup I've been planning, hiccup being I purchased a 15TA hub and promptly returned the frameset and am now going 12TA. Do you have a taillight? If so what?

93KgBike
10-11-2018, 03:53 PM
I run the Shimano Alfine dynamo hub and think it looks great. My older Nexus dynamo look great, too. I would like to try a Schmidt's hub. Many say they are almost resistance free.

unterhausen
10-11-2018, 06:17 PM
I have a couple of secula tail lights. They are good tail lights, but the seat stay mount is less than ideal.

alembical
10-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Same setup I've been planning, hiccup being I purchased a 15TA hub and promptly returned the frameset and am now going 12TA. Do you have a taillight? If so what?

I have the Busch & Mueller Secula Plus fender-mounted rear taillight. I have been happy, but it too is just starting its first full winter of commuting in the rainy NW.

muz
10-11-2018, 09:33 PM
I don't love the connectors, but I think that most non-SON Dynos use exactly the same connector.

I think the SON connectors are their weak point; if you forget to disconnect they will rip the wire. Shimano style works much better, even though it looks flimsy.

559Rando
10-11-2018, 09:49 PM
I think the SON connectors are their weak point; if you forget to disconnect they will rip the wire. Shimano style works much better, even though it looks flimsy.The SON connector has frustrated me more than once! There are some slick solutions with banana plugs and Schmidt just released these puppies. I haven't seen them in the flesh...and they ain't cheap (on top of the premium for a SON hub) but they look interesting and to be a good solution.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/655e9f245ad2abb58baece6e6f387c41.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

weisan
10-12-2018, 05:20 AM
Mine came in yesterday. I ordered the "wrong" one. This is 12mm thru-axle while I am still using quick release. Have to get an adaptor.

marciero
10-12-2018, 05:39 AM
The SON connector has frustrated me more than once! There are some slick solutions with banana plugs and Schmidt just released these puppies. I haven't seen them in the flesh...and they ain't cheap (on top of the premium for a SON hub) but they look interesting and to be a good solution.

I had not seen this one. I have the ones with the usual spade connectors on a 15cm wire that has banana/coax at the other end. That was a Peter White. There is also one with a plastic adapter that snaps onto the spades that receives a coax end. I think Compass has that one.

I think the SON connectors are their weak point; if you forget to disconnect they will rip the wire. Shimano style works much better, even though it looks flimsy.

In fact I've always felt that the Shimano seem more flimsy. With the Son the spade ends clamp onto the housing, and also onto the bare wire. And that is pretty beefy cable. With the Shimano style the end grabs only the bare wire. There is no strain relief. But am re-thinking this, and I do note that even though the Shimano style only grabs the wire, the wire wraps around the bottom of the fitting and back up, and is then wedged in place. So yes, it seems likely that that may be more secure than the pinching of the housing that holds the wire to Son spade connectors, especially if that has been people's experience.

That was the conclusion of a BQ test a few years back (the drag part, not the ugliness ; ) )

marciero
10-12-2018, 05:56 AM
duplicate

unterhausen
10-12-2018, 06:28 AM
The Shimano and SP style of connector is field repairable. I have pulled the wires out of a shimano connector while changing a tire and put it back together on the road. The coax connectors SON put out are nice, I have a set, but haven't used them on a bike yet.

Mine came in yesterday. I ordered the "wrong" one. This is 12mm thru-axle while I am still using quick release. Have to get an adaptor.The TA models are quite a bit more than the QR. The 15mm TA SP hubs came with an adapter

weisan
10-12-2018, 07:58 AM
The TA models are quite a bit more than the QR.

I got this as a factory reconditioned unit for $100.

Luwabra
10-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Well ya did it. Sold me on it. Ordered a new shutter precision pv-8 today. Lacing to a tubeless ready Alex adventurer2 rim brake. Getting Ready to light up winter

R3awak3n
10-14-2018, 07:01 PM
you are going to love it. Oh and if you get a light and buy a B&M tailight, I got an extra wire, brand new that you can have... You gotta get a tail light too, trust me