PDA

View Full Version : Tug o'war leg forces

dnc
10-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know which is more powerful, the leg force a person can produce in the outdoor field type or that produced in indoor.

fa63
10-03-2018, 12:42 PM
I am sure it depends from person to person. Personally, I put out more power into the pedals when riding outdoors.

false_Aest
10-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Can you clarify please?
You're leaving a lot of details out.

e.g. standing start on a trainer vs on the road vs on a velodrome vs something with a massive flywheel?

Spaghetti Legs
10-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Tug O’War it’s all mass baby. My class crushed field day in 4th grade because we had Alexander, the kid who had flunked 2 or 3 times and probably could have played on a 9th grade offensive line.

coreyaugustus
10-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know which is more powerful, the leg force a person can produce in the outdoor field type or that produced in indoor.

Outdoor vs indoor seems like more a matter of grip than force, no? A question of rubber soles on hardwood vs cleats in grass.

dnc
10-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Outdoor vs indoor seems like more a matter of grip than force, no? A question of rubber soles on hardwood vs cleats in grass.

A question of non slip soles on a $2300 rubber mat vs heels dug into ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ROjQDq7PA

jimoots
10-06-2018, 06:28 AM
The more resistance you’re working against, the “easier” it is to get power out.

For instance try a 20 minute interval on a 10% grade vs flat ground. The 10% grade will be much easier to achieve.

It does end up being contingent on gearing ie if you can get a big enough gearing on flat ground then resistance increases and it’s easier to generate the power.

And if the hill is too steep and you don’t have enough gearing the minimum power to propel forwards may be too high for a given interval.

But yeah essentially trainers don’t have enough resistance.