PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite travel tools?

Alaska Mike
10-02-2018, 08:57 PM
I'm packing up my Ritchey BreakAway, and decided to make a few additions to the small tool roll I'm going to stow in one of the pouches.

Vessel Megadora 900 +2x100 JIS Cross Point Screwdriver
Park Tool ATD-1.2 Adjustable Torque Drive
Park Tool CT-5 Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool
Park Tool FR-5.2 Cassette Lockring Tool
Park Tool SW-7 Triple Spoke Wrench
Park Tool AWS-10 Folding Hex Wrench Set
Park Tool MLP-1.2 Chain Plier
Park Tool VP-1 Patch Kit
Beefy tire levers
Decent-quality metric hex wrench set
Needle-nose pliers
generic crescent wrench
Small 10' metric and imperial tape measure
Scissors
Roll of 3M electrical tape
Small 3/8" breaker bar
Spare chains
Spare derailleur cable and various crimps
Spare Ritchey coupler
Spare CR2450 and CR2032 batteries

I think that's about it.

I'm going to be in places where there are no bike stores. While there are going to be plenty of tools, I doubt there will be a lot of bike tools. I know to some people it may sound like I'm bringing the bike shop with me, but this is a paired-down version of my race toolkit.

Anything I'm missing?

thunderworks
10-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Rubber gloves and hand cleaner.
Zip ties
Duct tape

eddief
10-02-2018, 09:25 PM
If you do remove your stem. Lose one, especially for handlebbar and you're skrewed dude. I remove crank so need the shimano tool for preloading crank arm. Maybe a quick link for chain.

weisan
10-02-2018, 10:11 PM
I think you got em' pretty well-covered. I would suggest bringing some of these

https://www.sustainablesupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/image/450x450/af097278c5db4767b0fe9bb92fe21690/C/1/C1956439_main-1.jpg

foo_fighter
10-02-2018, 10:16 PM
A pack of baby wipes....

AngryScientist
10-02-2018, 10:19 PM
way too much stuff. especially for a breakaway frame IMO.

skip the duplicates. cassette tool is un-necessary. crescent wrench? what would you even use that for on a modern frame? multiple screwdrivers, tape measures? all not necessary in the least, again, IMO.

all i carry when i travel is a small folding tool that has 4-5-6-8 hex wrenches, a spoke key and a mini chain tool. i also always bring a leatherman tool with me for the knife and other stuff that gets used a lot for a lot of different bike and non-bike related stuff on the road. opens a lot of beers too. of course a few spare tubes in the case and a patch kit. frame pump, check.

i'm a fan of self reliance and being prepared always, as i usually ride solo in oddball places, but be realistic about what tools you might actually need.

i've put my travel bike together in about 10 minutes on a dirt road with just the mini tool.

https://instagram.fhhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/7628ca980854b93c699d4eff51688b93/5C3C5D18/t51.2885-15/e35/36474761_241677766632834_8225770452480425984_n.jpg

Alaska Mike
10-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Forgot about the hand cleaner, but I can probably source that from the diesel mechanics. Baby wipes might not be a bad idea, and a small selection of metric hex bolts (2 or 3) might not be a bad idea either.

A lot of what's in my tool roll is from those times when I needed something and didn't have it.

The cassette tool and crescent wrench go hand-in-hand and are certainly compact as compared to my Crombie or Park whip. When I clean my cassette on the road, I like to take it off the wheel to get in between the cogs.

The only screwdriver is the JIS one, which prevents me stripping out derailleur screws while adjusting them.

I like having extra hex wrenches, although I could probably dump the AWS-10 Folding Hex Wrench Set since I'm going with the ATD-1.2 over the Ritchey TorqueKey. I've never liked the mini-tool versions, because they never seem long enough and are klutzy to get in tight spaces.

The tape measure (https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Carabiner-Tape-Measure-Snapgate/dp/B006ZBC6P0) is tiny and I use it for adjusting fit. I always tape my seatpost for length, but I've had that and other stuff get hosed in shipping.

I have a Lezyne Lezyne Micro Drive HP Pump that I bought and never really used, as I have smaller and larger mini pumps and travel pumps. I figured this was finally the right application for it.

I certainly could go with less, but all of this (barring the pump, chains, and other consumables) folds up into a 9"x4" tool roll. Compared to what's on my pegboard, that isn't too bad.

boomforeal
10-03-2018, 04:26 AM
way too much stuff. especially for a breakaway frame IMO.

this. dude, multi tool!

R3awak3n
10-03-2018, 05:16 AM
That sounds like a LOT of tools.

I just got a couplered bike and this is what I will be bringing in the bag

- silca torque ti hex set (not that I care about torque on this bike but nice little compact wrench set that has its nice carrying case)
- 8mm hex to get crank out and pedals in/out
- wolftooth quick link tool
-couple extra quicklinks
-s & s tool
- phil grease
- s & s grease
- chain lube
- whatever I have in my saddle bag (tube, tire lever, carbon paste, spoke wrench, tube and patch kit)
-frame pump

I think that is it.

Tickdoc
10-03-2018, 06:26 AM
travel big or travel light?

Travel light...this kit is awesome:
https://www.bicycle-guider.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Silca1.jpg

travel big, I bring one just like this as well:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71V-DpjzzdL._SL1500_.jpg

sidenote: this big chinese kit is cheaper than the little slice one.

R3awak3n
10-03-2018, 08:05 AM
/\ the silca kit is excellent, its what I always take with me anytime I travel... I take it down to NYC every week and its the only tool I keep down here. Expensive yes, but very good

Alaska Mike
10-04-2018, 07:27 PM
To be honest, if I didn't already have a lot of the Park Tool bits, I probably would have gotten the Silca kit. The combination of a fixed and torque driver is pretty cool, and eliminates redundancy.

That said, I did seriously consider it. I'm always looking for quality tools- even if they aren't specifically designed for bicycles. My Wiha hex wrenches probably get more use than anything.