PDA

View Full Version : Where to get wheel boxes during the enve mail in drought

auto_rock
10-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Gang

I have 4x wheel sets I'd like to get out of the house. Before I do that, I want to make sure I can mail them (I sold one set and then spent two days hunting a box - people have been picking the LBS back rooms dry to mail their old junk in to Enve)

I have been hunting around to order them and everywhere wants a delivery fee in the ~$80 range for $50 worth of boxes.

Do any of you order boxes and have tips here?

Cheers

bward1028
10-02-2018, 06:47 PM
just cut down a bike or frame box.

you can basically cut it in half and slide the two halves together until it fits the wheels.

you could also make one pretty easily out of sheet cardboard if you have access to that.

I've also used large boxes from home depot. don't tape or fold the flaps down. shape it so it looks like this <> at the opening. wheel slides in. tape at the top and bottom of flaps.
This is the best pic i could find of a box like that. it's how QBP ships wheels.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_72-XGWCgZog/TIjTL7ub59I/AAAAAAAADVk/D8QsYcyZNT8/s400/Picture+1092.jpg

oldpotatoe
10-03-2018, 06:40 AM
Gang

I have 4x wheel sets I'd like to get out of the house. Before I do that, I want to make sure I can mail them (I sold one set and then spent two days hunting a box - people have been picking the LBS back rooms dry to mail their old junk in to Enve)

I have been hunting around to order them and everywhere wants a delivery fee in the ~$80 range for $50 worth of boxes.

Cheers

Find a shop that deals with frames and use a frame box..Above Category, Tony Tom's Bicycle Odyssey..Saulsilito

loxx0050
10-03-2018, 08:22 AM
If you were local to me I've give you some as I've collected a few thinking I'd be shipping wheels (that never happened and was luckily able to sell locally).

One wheel I bought off of the 'bay came in a modified frame box and worked out just fine. Maybe make a friend at one of the LBS and that person can save you one once it becomes available?

echelon_john
10-03-2018, 08:23 AM
25x25x12 is a pretty standard size that many pack and ship stores carry. you can order from uline but the shipping is a killer.

auto_rock
10-03-2018, 08:36 AM
@echelon_john, yeah I found the uline options - they had plenty of useful sizes but 1) the shipping is more than the boxes and 2) I personally (and I'm not trying to impose my principles on anyone else here...) avoid uline when there's an alternative because of Richard Uihlein's political leanings/donations.

@ oldpotatoe, bward1028, yeah my next move was going to be chopping down boxes.

Thanks for the help as always y'all

Gummee
10-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Gang

CheersI'm out of touch. What's with the Enve thing?!

M

auto_rock
10-03-2018, 08:48 AM
If you mail in old carbon wheels, Enve gives you a $700 rebate*. So I've noticed that locally (Silicon Valley being a high Enve-density riding area) the shops have been picked dry of their wheel boxes.

* I believe Enve will do the same thing if you go through your LBS, I hope people are also doing the same thing over the counter, rather than online...

Gummee
10-03-2018, 08:58 AM
If you mail in old carbon wheels, Enve gives you a $700 rebate*. So I've noticed that locally (Silicon Valley being a high Enve-density riding area) the shops have been picked dry of their wheel boxes.

* I believe Enve will do the same thing if you go through your LBS, I hope people are also doing the same thing over the counter, rather than online...

Nice

Too bad I don't 'need' a pair of Enve wheels

M

djg
10-03-2018, 11:37 AM
My lbs handed me two wheel boxes not too long ago — any shop that orders wheels or wheel sets for customers should be receiving them and disposing of (or recycling) the boxes with some frequency.

RobJ
10-03-2018, 11:57 AM
25x25x12 is a pretty standard size that many pack and ship stores carry. you can order from uline but the shipping is a killer.

The UPS Store carries these (for packing mirrors I believe they said) and are about $11 each in my area. Depending on the wheel, you can fit two wheels in one box or get two boxes and tape them together to ship as one box.

MattTuck
10-03-2018, 12:00 PM

Well... that certainly gives one an idea of the gross margin on MSRP new carbon wheels from enve.

cmg
10-03-2018, 12:57 PM
does ENVE resell the wheels they receive as rebate on eBay?

prototoast
10-03-2018, 01:32 PM
does ENVE resell the wheels they receive as rebate on eBay?

I doubt they'd sell them directly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a deal in place with The Pro's Closet or some place similar.

sfscott
10-03-2018, 09:30 PM
I have a set of Enve 25s with CK hubs (in a box!) that I have not been able to sell.

No need for wheels unless there is a good reason to get an extra set of MTB wheels with different tires.

If any forumite has a clever idea for me, I would be happy to help YOU get a set of Enves.

MattTuck
10-03-2018, 10:21 PM
I have a set of Enve 25s with CK hubs (in a box!) that I have not been able to sell.

No need for wheels unless there is a good reason to get an extra set of MTB wheels with different tires.

If any forumite has a clever idea for me, I would be happy to help YOU get a set of Enves.

How does $700 sound? :)

sfscott
10-03-2018, 10:23 PM
How does $700 sound? :)

A not so smart deal!

Spdntrxi
10-03-2018, 10:30 PM

no takers for my Enve 2.2 ... probably cause they are tubs :bike:

sent them to Enve today... Wheelbuilder is shipping my 4.5AR w/industry9 hubs and I will have them by Friday..

John H.
10-04-2018, 11:28 AM
I am in northbay- If you want to schlep up this way I just uncrated a new set of Enve wheels and I still have the box and all of the packing materials.
I could probably come up with a 2nd box as well-

damocles
10-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Drop by a Best Buy for a medium sized TV box. I've shipped frames and wheel sets in 40" to 55" inch TV boxes very successfully before.

bicycletricycle
10-04-2018, 11:48 AM
TV boxes are great.