PDA

View Full Version : Any intel on Strade Bianche route?

echelon_john
10-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Hoping to ride a 40-50 mile section of the route later this month. Anyone have recommendations on the most scenic/iconic section?

Thanks!
JC

Mr. Pink
10-02-2018, 09:21 AM
I've been there twice, but not to bike. There really isn't any part that isn't in a beautiful place. If I had my choice for 40-50, I'd stay around the southern section that runs through Montalcino.

Tim Porter
10-02-2018, 09:35 AM
John, you have your family's house in Lucca, iirc? The northernmost parts of the L'Eroica routes would be a fairly close place to start. The l'Eroica routes intersect, of course, with the Strada Bianche routes though they're not the SB routes, per se. They're pretty well marked on the same signposts as the town signs. (Sorry if you really, really want the actual race's course.) I've ridden all of these routes and you really can't go wrong.

Here's this year's set of courses for L'Eroica (which is this Sunday, btw):

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/ea3980063dff4f76d9be87cf0865ec4319948b92_zpsclmlxl f6.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_0839_zpscma37kfv.jpg

echelon_john
10-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Hi guys--
Tim, thank you. Eroica route is probably a great place to start considering it will be signed/marked. It's an hour or two drive from our house, which is why I'm hoping for a 'curated'/shortened version of the route, because I'll most likely be doing it one afternoon and am probably not up for more than ~50 miles considering the climbing. I'll definitely take a closer look.

One other data point is that I'll likely try to finish in Siena; thinking that way my wife can drop me someplace, go to Siena, and I'll meet her there at the end of my ride.

Thanks much!

Mr. Pink
10-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Envious.

Just factor in that Siena is quite the climb, like most of the, ahem, hill towns.
Hopefully you'll have some energy and time to see the Siena duomo and the museum that is attached, finishing up with the climb up the wall to take in the views.

echelon_john
10-02-2018, 09:53 AM
yeah, i'm a large mammal, so the climbing is tough, but i have a bike with a triple there and use the granny liberally! we're usually there in the summer when it's super hot (and more crowded, esp in the cities); last minute fall trip provides an opportunity to do some stuff that i wouldn't normally do.

thanks for the input!

Envious.

Just factor in that Siena is quite the climb, like most of the, ahem, hill towns.
Hopefully you'll have some energy and time to see the Siena duomo and the museum that is attached, finishing up with the climb up the wall to take in the views.

Heisenberg
10-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Any particular start point? Are you staying anywhere?

Chianti's magic. But yeah, the backroads to the little towns are steepish - main roads tend to be pretty mellow, 6-7% max. There's an AWESOME gelato spot in Radda. Stop in Lecchi and say hi to Paolo for me, grab a bottle from his shop from Castello di Ama.

The white roads are basically everywhere. Find one, take it until it gets too steep or you get too scared of wild boars. Or just follow the Eroica signs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166047901

MattTuck
10-02-2018, 10:55 AM
that climb up into Siena that they do in Strade Bianche... that looks great, in a terrifying way. Take some pictures!

Tim Porter
10-02-2018, 03:42 PM
The L'Eroica route goes through Siena's eastern edge and not up into the Piazza del Campo area where they finish the SB race. It'd be a great place to be dropped off and then head north up the route and doing one of the loops to the north of Siena. You'd be in the heart of Chianti--Radda, Gaiole, Castellina-in-Chianti, Panzano. Volpaia's pretty cool and coming into it from the north on the white road is a thrilling DESCENT, albeit gravelly and so steep you are on the brakes at walking speed. Doing a loop and then heading back down to your rendezvous point outside Siena would be super. Good luck--envious here! Tim

P.S. The L'Eroica route goes right through the Hotel Certosa di Maggiano outside Siena (we stayed there when I did L'Eroica and the hotel's entry way literally covers the (paved) L'Eroica road). I'm sure you could wangle free parking there and cab or even walk into Siena (2 km and not that hilly). Just an idea . . . .

Hotel Certosa--view down the L'Eroica road outside Siena:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zpsa93f14ff.jpg

Mr. Pink
10-02-2018, 07:33 PM
If you decide to go north, a must visit for dinner, but only if you are NOT a vegetarian. Pazano. It's theater around meat.

https://www.dariocecchini.com/en/

rrudoff
10-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Yes, if you like meat eat at Darios in Panzano. It is a bit over the top, but fun. You have your choice of a couple different restaurants he operates, SoloCiccia and Officina della Bistecca. Look at the website and see if Solocicia is to your taste, it is more arcane dishes, while Bistecca is mainly hunks of meat. There is also Dario DOC, which used to be McDario until he got a letter.... For the first two, make reservations. The Macelleria is open every day too, and there are always free samples. I recommend their Red Pepper jelly BTW

Also if in that area, and this is part of L'Eroica route, you can ride from Panzano on the road passing by Lamole, stop at Bar Ucci, Paola is a great character and will take care of you. It is a nice ride between the two, but watch the last bit into Volpaia, it is steep and loose usually. You do not need reservations here, the food is real Tuscan, and they are open all day. We have lived on and off in this area for many years, and eat at Bar Ucci at least once a week when in Italy.

You can't really go wrong anywhere around here-it is all pretty good.