PDA

View Full Version : Race radios - yea or nay

speedevil
10-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Was there better racing during the worlds because of the lack of race radios, or would the racing have been better with them?

Is it a disadvantage for the riders if they're used to having the tactical decisions made by the DS's, and then in this race having to read it for themselves?

Is a rider better because he/she can read the race as it develops and decide on their own tactics on the road? Obviously the team orders are a factor, but without radios those plans can be out the window as the race develops. Like JA cramping and RB taking up the French cause?

oldpotatoe
10-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Was there better racing during the worlds because of the lack of race radios, or would the racing have been better with them?

Is it a disadvantage for the riders if they're used to having the tactical decisions made by the DS's, and then in this race having to read it for themselves?

Is a rider better because he/she can read the race as it develops and decide on their own tactics on the road? Obviously the team orders are a factor, but without radios those plans can be out the window as the race develops. Like JA cramping and RB taking up the French cause?

NAY!
Far better racing without and the World's showed that. IMHO:banana:

Black Dog
10-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Radios are good for teams and terrible for the fans. Racing is so much better without them.

rockdude
10-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Nay!

Duende
10-02-2018, 08:06 AM
Nay!!!

bikinchris
10-02-2018, 08:36 AM
I think radios should be used. But only for safety reasons. One channel for everyone. No private channels. Let the commissaires make safety announcements, neutralise the race and open it back to racing etc.

campy man
10-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Great for safety and emergencies but Nay for racing

BdaGhisallo
10-02-2018, 09:12 AM
I think radios should be used. But only for safety reasons. One channel for everyone. No private channels. Let the commissaires make safety announcements, neutralise the race and open it back to racing etc.

Yup - one channel used for race information and run by the race organizers. Effectively you want a Radio Tour style feed intended for the riders with safety the primary focus.

I miss the old days when tactically astute riders like Stephen Roche could use their talent to employ their nous under effort to their advantage and not have it nullified because every rider has a pipeline to an endless stream of info from someone who is relaxing in the team car

GregL
10-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Best idea I've heard yet on this subject! Completely negates the team's arguments that they need their private radios for safety.

Greg

David Kirk
10-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Best idea I've heard yet on this subject! Completely negates the team's arguments that they need their private radios for safety.

Greg

I agree - I never thought of this option and it's the best I've heard.

dave

benb
10-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Yah, I'm in the Nay camp but can get on board with a safety radio channel.

Does every rider need to have a radio in for that to work?

Also I could totally get behind power meters being allowed & the coaches + fans can see it (TV feed, etc..) but the riders can't see it during the race. Might be hard to implement cause they'd have to inspect cyclocomputers though.

campy man
10-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Great for safety and emergencies but Nay for racing

Not intended to hijack the thread but I would include banning Power Meters during races :cool:

cachagua
10-02-2018, 04:17 PM
The analogy that comes to mind is, which is a more rewarding performance: the one on a Steinway concert grand, or the one on a player piano?

An exciting victory is one achieved by the winner's strength, endurance, tactical savvy, and daring. A victory that results from following directions is a lot less so. So I'm a big "no" on radios, have been for years. (And in my mind that extends to power meters too, for related reasons.)

I like the safety broadcast idea in principle, but I'm not sure how many situations really arise in pro racing where it'd be all that helpful. It's just as strong an argument, I think, to say it's part of what we reward the riders for to deal with emergent circumstances as they meet them -- part of what we call a racer's skill.

No pink shirt for Andy Hampsten, just to offer one example of what would be lost. That stage of the Giro would have been called within the first few hours, if there had been a way to do it, and one of the most inspirational moments in all cycling history would have never happened.

Mark McM
10-02-2018, 04:36 PM
The analogy that comes to mind is, which is a more rewarding performance: the one on a Steinway concert grand, or the one on a player piano?

Hmmm.... Not such a good analogy, since Steinway makes concert grand player pianos:

https://www.steinway.com/spirio

The Steinway & Sons Spirio is the world’s finest high resolution player piano. A masterpiece of artistry and engineering in your home, Spirio enables you to enjoy performances captured by great pianists — played with such nuance, power and passion that it is utterly indistinguishable from a live performance.

mcteague
10-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Not intended to hijack the thread but I would include banning Power Meters during races :cool:

I was just about to add that! :beer:

Tim