PDA

View Full Version : Fork Recommendations for light rider

cmbicycles
10-01-2018, 09:46 PM
My daughters are getting involved in mtb riding a little bit. Youngest has a cannondale f300 with a Judy something fork, but it is sprung pretty heavy and doesn't move much for her (+/- 90 lbs). I'd like to find something more suitably sprung to replace it, 26" wheel v-brake 1-1/8" steerer (or headshock). Any suggestions from the collective? I know headshock forks well enough if I came across one but I'm sure there are other modestly priced choices that can be easily adjusted for a lighter rider. A non-suspension fork, although lighter, is not in the equation for this.

boomforeal
10-01-2018, 09:51 PM
older fox float 32 rl/rlc. i've had a couple on bikes for my son, the rebound doesn't get gummy and the spring is fairly linear at lower pressure. they're super well made and can be found pretty cheap. best bet for a kid/lightweight rider ime - though i always wanted to find a vanilla with a light spring... mmmm buttah

Vientomas
10-01-2018, 10:23 PM
+ 1 on a Vanilla propery sprung. I'm a lightweight and have had both Float and Vanilla forks. Coil is a bit heavier, but oh so delightfully smooth.

cmbicycles
10-02-2018, 08:18 PM
I'll keep an eye on the bay for a fox shock. Was thinking an older Sid might be decently light too, but likely expensive unless abused. If anyone has other suggestions feel free to chime in.

p nut
10-03-2018, 09:50 AM
I thought those older SID's (v-brake versions) had issues with stiction. Which would not be good at your daughter's weight. Could be wrong on that.

gdw
10-03-2018, 10:21 AM
The old Marzocchi Bombers from the late 90's are really adjustable and were used by several petite women I rode with. They are easy to work on and very reliable if in good condition. Check eBay for a B2 or Atom Bomb.

pdonk
10-03-2018, 10:49 AM
If it is an older judy, the elastomers may be hard or rotten, take apart and check.

Maybe swap out for a coil spring.

cmbicycles
10-03-2018, 09:57 PM
It's a Judy C hydrocoil from approximately 04/05. According to the website they made a lighter spring but I doubt it's easily found 10+ years later. I'll keep an eye out for some of the above mentioned forks, and lighter spring kit.