PDA

View Full Version : ot: good basic headlamp?

eddief
10-01-2018, 08:14 PM
I am looking for a good basic all purpose headlamp to wear...on my head. This would be a hands free flashlight for camping, reading, and possible lights out emergencies. I am considering Petzl Tikka 200 Hybrid but that's based on cursory web-based research.

dustyrider
10-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Petzl is good. I own, and have owned, several of their lights and have always been happy. I never had a reason to contact them, but most of their stuff is designed with wear parts being available and interchangeable, so no real reason to find out about their customer service.

mhespenheide
10-01-2018, 09:14 PM
If you don't mind Mal-Wart and all the negative associated with it, their house brand "Ozark Trail" headlamp for ~$6 is surprisingly good for the price. I've resorted to picking one up from them a couple of times when I've forgotten my main one, or a friend has joined me for a camping trip and doesn't have their own.

Otherwise the base models of Petzl and Black Diamond are good.

Marc40a
10-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Brother, I would steer clear of Petzl nowadays. I own 3 of them. The current state of technology for them isn’t much further along than it was 10 years ago and LED tech has come a long way in the past decade.

The Black Diamond Spot is a rock solid lamp. The brightness is certainly there if you want it and the intensity is infinitely adjustable if you don’t. Hi, low and red modes. It’s lighter weight than its more expensive peers because it utilizes 3 aaa batteries. Weatherproof as well. My favorite basic headlamp ever.

gasman
10-01-2018, 10:33 PM
I’ve had so many headlamps over 40 years I can’t count. My basic bedside headlamp, around the house is a Petzl Actik. It has a small rechargeable Li -ion battery or it can use 3 AAA’s . I’ve got a couple Black Diamond lights. The Spot is really, really bright but doesn’t last more than 3 hrs on high. My Princeton Tec apex pro is also very bright but chews through CR 123 batteries.
There are so many good choices these days you can’t go wrong.

saab2000
10-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Light and Motion is my go-to for much lighting and this is where I'd go for a head lamp.

jtakeda
10-01-2018, 11:32 PM
I am looking for a good basic all purpose headlamp to wear...on my head. This would be a hands free flashlight for camping, reading, and possible lights out emergencies. I am considering Petzl Tikka 200 Hybrid but that's based on cursory web-based research.

Im not sure how the Petzl Tikka 200 and Petzl Tikka RX+ differ but Ive found my petzl to be great.

It can keep a charge for many days and has just the right amount of settings to make it usable in all conditions

djg
10-02-2018, 07:14 AM
We have a bunch of these. 3 kids, one in scouts, etc. The Petzel Tikka or the Tikkina would be fine. The Princeton Tec — I thik I like it a little better but (a) it doesn’t really matter much and (b) you can break the clamp for the battery door (they’ll replace it, but there’s that). We bought a couple of the Black Diamond little spot lights — cool design, light, one’s been great and one broke — YMMV.

Somebody mentioned brands you’ll see at WM or the hardware store — they’re just fine for most purposes— maybe a little bigger and heavier or whatever but they work.

For most purposes I would avoid the expense and weight of higher output models. It’s not like cycling where you need to compete with a highly variable light environment at cycling speed— you don’t want that much light for reading and you don’t generally need it walking back to a tent, etc.

Marc40a
10-02-2018, 07:23 AM
I’ve had so many headlamps over 40 years I can’t count. My basic bedside headlamp, around the house is a Petzl Actik. It has a small rechargeable Li -ion battery or it can use 3 AAA’s . I’ve got a couple Black Diamond lights. The Spot is really, really bright but doesn’t last more than 3 hrs on high. My Princeton Tec apex pro is also very bright but chews through CR 123 batteries.
There are so many good choices these days you can’t go wrong.

The highest setting is just for piloting aircraft or a substitute for headlights. I generally use the low setting or dim the light to the ideal level for the task I’m doing to retain battery life.

TiminVA
10-02-2018, 07:30 AM
I have two Petzl headlamps, Tikka Plus (nearly 10 years old) and a Myo XP (around 5 years old). The Tikka Plus is great for walking the dog at night and around the house use. The Myo XP is my trail running light, kind of heavy, but super bright.

Ozz
10-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Costco was selling a two pack of Coast headlamps....405 lumens....3 settings (no flash) for about $25 or so. I've seen a bunch of construction workers using them (or similar) around town. I picked up a pack for use around the house....seem pretty decent.

That said, I had a Petzl that lasted 20+ years (non-LED) that was bullet proof.

seahuston
10-02-2018, 09:44 AM
I had some really bad luck with Light & Motion. Took 3 exchanges to get a headlamp without issues. I'm still very happy with Petzl but I think for most uses the Costco or Walmart lights would be absolutely fine.

I think most people know outdoor gear lab but in case not, here's a link to their headlamp roundup. They are, IMO, the best impartial review site going for outdoor gear
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-headlamp

C40_guy
10-02-2018, 11:28 AM
For running I have a Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp. Nice bright, rechargeable, adjustable headlamp with rear blinker.

For walking the dog I have a basic Princeton Tec Remix. Enough light to find the, um, stuff, and maybe keep the coyotes away...

hellvetica
10-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Another vote for Princeton Tec. I have the Remix and love it.

JEFFTHEROBOT
10-02-2018, 03:11 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOOCBU0/?coliid=I31OI1M7JLDESP&colid=776X6TIXNN20&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Hands down the best I have ever owned.

douglas
10-03-2018, 07:20 AM
I have one of these: https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hl60r-rechargeable-headlamp/
Very happy with it.

eddief
10-08-2018, 12:21 PM
$22 and seems way good enough for my purposes.

JEFFTHEROBOT
10-08-2018, 12:32 PM
A very fine choice! I have been extremely happy with mine.

ptourkin
10-08-2018, 01:34 PM
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FCV32SI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Popular with the ultralight crowd. I've been using it on my bikepacking trips and it's pretty much all I need for stumbling around camp at night. AA replacements are a plus - I can share the stash of batteries with my ETrex.

If you're looking for USB rechargeable - people are doing this. Much cheaper than a Petzl and does it all [https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-NU25-Lumen-Triple-Output/dp/B077Z8V9X5/ref=as_li_ss_tl?pd_rd_wg=zHj7I&pd_rd_r=6a9fc934-9a40-432b-a7bd-d0d105c08bec&pd_rd_w=dSOM7&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=ETCF0ZZZBRZ6N81VD3GR&pf_rd_p=b841581f-e864-5164-afa6-4c18a8348879&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=backcobanter-20&linkId=a101e331fe4bf37ccd0804e7eec39ed4&language=en_US