PDA

View Full Version : Crack in aluminum frame... Repair?

illuminaught
09-30-2018, 11:22 PM
I discovered that my beloved Van Dessel Aloominator cracked at the chainstay intersection with the rear dropout. Any thoughts about repairs on aluminum frames? Possible, worth it, etc.?
Thanks,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Hic6kMbSCqxfs6GA

Javaman
10-01-2018, 12:11 AM
Following; as I have an aluminum frame that I would like to get repaired as well. I would say from resale standpoint not worth it. But if the frame has sentimental value probably worth getting it fixed. Which is the case with mine.

Expedited
10-01-2018, 02:36 AM
That looks pretty bad; I personally wouldn't go for it. Looks like that frame had a lot of love.

SlowPokePete
10-01-2018, 03:23 AM
toast

SPP

fignon's barber
10-01-2018, 05:46 AM
It wouldn't be cost effective to fix.

peanutgallery
10-01-2018, 06:01 AM
More zip ties

AngryScientist
10-01-2018, 06:08 AM
Yikes, that’s no hairline crack!

My thought would be to do it right you would need to have the chainstay replaced which is significant work on an aluminum frame. Then the question comes of what shape is the other stay in; and is it going to crack in a thousand miles.

If it were me; I don’t think I would pursue a repair on this frame.

CNY rider
10-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Melt that baby down.
That’s tariff free raw aluminum stock you’ve got there! :banana:

weisan
10-01-2018, 06:33 AM
More zip ties

Hey! I have "patented" that technique, need to pay royalty first.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2018, 06:35 AM
I discovered that my beloved Van Dessel Aloominator cracked at the chainstay intersection with the rear dropout. Any thoughts about repairs on aluminum frames? Possible, worth it, etc.?
Thanks,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Hic6kMbSCqxfs6GA

You can talk to a welder but aluminum bike frames really require heat treatment after welding and re-welding makes that kinda go away..so another crack there is pretty inevitable.

weisan
10-01-2018, 06:38 AM

When there's a will, there's a way.

You did the right thing, never give up, ask around see if there's any one who can or is willing to do it, do your research first before you decide.

peanutgallery
10-01-2018, 07:20 AM
If you use a nail clipper to trim the ends...no need for a tetanus shot

Hey! I have "patented" that technique, need to pay royalty first.

FlashUNC
10-01-2018, 08:09 AM
It's done.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2018, 08:18 AM
hey! I have "patented" that technique, need to pay royalty first.

doh!!

illuminaught
10-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks! I thought so. :crap::eek:
Cheers,

chiasticon
10-01-2018, 10:46 AM
that frame hasn't been around for too long. I'd talk to Van Dessel. even if out of warranty (or purchased used) they may be willing to help you out. they do have a crash replacement program.

how did you like the ride of it? it's rad that someone still offers a stock canti frame. always thought it was a great looking bike, with the ano and black-on-black look.

Hindmost
10-01-2018, 10:55 AM
...require heat treatment after welding and re-welding makes that kinda go away...

This is what knowledgeable people told me also.

Mark McM
10-01-2018, 12:30 PM
You can talk to a welder but aluminum bike frames really require heat treatment after welding and re-welding makes that kinda go away..so another crack there is pretty inevitable.

Whether aluminum needs post-welding heat treatment depends a lot on the alloy. For example, the 6000 series alloy used in many Cannondales did require heat treatment, but the 7000 series alloy tubing from Reynolds and Columbus do not. Whether this frame can be repaired economically may depend on the alloy used. There are several shops that specialize in aluminum frame repair.

illuminaught
10-01-2018, 06:00 PM
that frame hasn't been around for too long. I'd talk to Van Dessel. even if out of warranty (or purchased used) they may be willing to help you out. they do have a crash replacement program.

how did you like the ride of it? it's rad that someone still offers a stock canti frame. always thought it was a great looking bike, with the ano and black-on-black look.

I really like the ride of it. Best fitting bike I've ever had and it's super snappy... pun intended. But seriously, crack aside - I definitely recommend it if you like the look of it.