PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for campy group

Jmaxwel8
09-30-2018, 08:06 AM
I’m working on buying a bike with a campy groupset. I’ve never dealt with this brand at all. It’s a 10 speed groupset. Are there any differences I should consider when purchasing wheels, in comparison to when you use shimano? Are wheels usually compatible with both brands?

oldpotatoe
09-30-2018, 08:18 AM
I’m working on buying a bike with a campy groupset. I’ve never dealt with this brand at all. It’s a 10 speed groupset. Are there any differences I should consider when purchasing wheels, in comparison to when you use shimano? Are wheels usually compatible with both brands?

10s Campagnolo and 10s shimano, cogset spacing, is not the same. AND you cannpt put a shimano cogset onto a shimano compatible rear wheel and vice versa.
11s is but not 10s. 10s Campag cogset spacing is actually closer to shimano 9s spacing than 10s. Just make sure you get a rear wheel that's Campagnolo compatible..it will accept any Campag cogset, 9s thru 12s..

BTW-I can design and build you a wheelset specifically for you and your needs..Campag compatible..$ starting at about $550..DT 350 hubs laced to DT460 rims. OR Miche hubs laced to same-about $450...

cp51errc@gmail.com

ALSO, not sure which 10s group you are getting but if older 10s, 2008 and older, if you need the levers overhauled, made like new..email me..something that really isn't possible with the 2 's' brands.

Joxster
09-30-2018, 08:20 AM
The freehub body is different for Campag and Shimano and aren't interchangable in 10spd. Have a look at Campag Zonda, Miche Altur and Syntium or get some hand builts. Just don't bother with Mavic they are a load of ****e

thwart
09-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately only the 11 spd wheels work for both Shimano and Campy. If you're going to stick with 10 spd you would find the easiest route is to just buy a Campy compatible wheel.

However... there are workarounds available, such as conversion cassettes and also devices to change the cable pull ratio so that you can use a Shimano wheel with a 10 spd Campy drivetrain.

jet sanchez
09-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Zondas----affordable, versatile, fast.

simonov
09-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Zondas----affordable, versatile, fast.

Yep. Campy wheels are great...and they're a perfect match for a Campy group.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2018, 09:03 AM
Yep. Campy wheels are great...and they're a perfect match for a Campy group.

Yup..But I have a set of NEW Record laced to Nemesis Ambrosio..tubulari...

Not cheap tho...:eek:

C40_guy
09-30-2018, 10:08 AM
ALSO, not sure which 10s group you are getting but if older 10s, 2008 and older, if you need the levers overhauled, made like new..email me..something that really isn't possible with the 2 's' brands.

You're still doing that? I'll be in touch!

You rebuilt a couple of sets of levers for me years ago!

Ralph
09-30-2018, 11:00 AM
What wears out on new style hood Centaur 10's 2010 Ultra (carbon wrapped blades)? Not Power TQ. Got some on a bike been using for 6-7 years, and they still work good. Do you (OP) stock any parts for them?

Clean39T
09-30-2018, 11:10 AM
I ended up with one extra pair of Campy 10 wheels right now if you want silver hubs and spokes to black rims - PM me..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

shinomaster
09-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Proton's are nice too. I just saw a beautiful new-looking set of Protons sell on ebay for almost nothing. I would have grabbed them but they don't go up to 11.

ultraman6970
09-30-2018, 01:35 PM
A couple of fulcrums moving around the forums aswell, and for 50 bucks you can get a set aswell rolf i believe, but needs to be local pick only.

zmudshark
09-30-2018, 02:00 PM
I have a set of Centaur hubs laced to Open Pro's if that interests you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6xe71Mh2ORWmPv9B3

Will sell with or without tires/tubes, with or without cassette.

Joxster
09-30-2018, 03:06 PM
A couple of fulcrums moving around the forums aswell, and for 50 bucks you can get a set aswell rolf i believe, but needs to be local pick only.

Fulcrum are built to a lower spec than Campag to make them feel ****, the spoke tension is 30% less than the Campag equivelent.

Joxster
09-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Proton's are nice too. I just saw a beautiful new-looking set of Protons sell on ebay for almost nothing. I would have grabbed them but they don't go up to 11.

Protons are 12spd compatible, unlike Shimano all Campag wheels are retro fittable. So everything from 1994ish are compatable with the new 12spd cassettes.

jet sanchez
09-30-2018, 03:55 PM

Are you sure about this? I thought all the 9 and 10 speed Campy hubs can take an 11 speed cassette. I know that the Shamals and Eurus do, from personal experience.

Joxster
09-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Are you sure about this? I thought all the 9 and 10 speed Campy hubs can take an 11 speed cassette. I know that the Shamals and Eurus do, from personal experience.

They will take everything up to 12 speed

shinomaster
09-30-2018, 04:31 PM

I could be wrong! Rats I should have grabbed them. I heard somewhere they didn't though.. My old silver 9 speed shamal's don't work with 11, the back of the cassette hits the spokes.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2018, 04:43 PM

If it has a HPW hub, like 1997 Shamal, where the FHB sits deep into hub shell, straight pull spokes, flattened at hub, they are not.

bfd
09-30-2018, 05:07 PM

It is my understanding that the Campy Electrons also won’t go beyond 10 speed. Something about the freehub body not extending far enough. I’m currently running Campy Proton wheels with Chorus 12-29 11 speed cassette on a Sram Etap drivetrain and it shifts flawlessly. It is my understanding that if you can fit 11 speed cassettes, then 12 isn’t a problem.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

shinomaster
09-30-2018, 05:32 PM
That makes sense, my proton's had hubs more like my 2001 Zonda's, which looked like record OS hubs.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2018, 07:12 AM
You're still doing that? I'll be in touch!

You rebuilt a couple of sets of levers for me years ago!

Yup, for levers even into the 'Gumby' era altho those need very little service since no springs or spring carriers to break..still one day turnaround.

cp51errc@gmail.com

oldpotatoe
10-01-2018, 07:14 AM
What wears out on new style hood Centaur 10's 2010 Ultra (carbon wrapped blades)? Not Power TQ. Got some on a bike been using for 6-7 years, and they still work good. Do you (OP) stock any parts for them?

Yes, see above but nothing to really wear out or break(Ultrashift..all 'Gumby starting in 2009...SR/Record/Chorus 2009-present...Centaur, Veloce, Athena, etc, became 'PowerShift in 2011..much improved in 2015(droopy thumb button) but those really can't be 'repaired..

Ralph
10-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Thanks.....Yeah.....just bought a pair of 10's Veloce shifters with "droopy" buttons (real cheap $), haven't mounted them, but the action feels real precise. I never "dump" gears (bike not set up like that), so I think the newer Power Shift works like my Ultra Shift.

When/if my 2010 10's Centaur Ultra Shift die, will send them to you.

Also got 2011 10's Power Shift on a travel bike with Triple Campy Stuff. Really like how that works. Push button and "wham", front shifts. Get it adjusted right....no need to ever trim FD. Prefer that over ratchet of Ultra.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Thanks.....Yeah.....just bought a pair of 10's Veloce shifters with "droopy" buttons (real cheap $), haven't mounted them, but the action feels real precise. I never "dump" gears (bike not set up like that), so I think the newer Power Shift works like my Ultra Shift.

When/if my 2010 10's Centaur Ultra Shift die, will send them to you.

Also got 2011 Power Shift on a travel bike with Triple Campy Stuff. Really like how that works. Push button and "wham", front shifts. Get it adjusted right....no need to ever trim FD. Prefer that over ratchet of Ultra.

Might be a while for them to die..I have the innards to convert to 11s, BTW..

Ralph
10-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Might be a while for them to die..I have the innards to convert to 11s, BTW..

That's what we will do when I switch a bike to 11's. Which 11's, newer or older 11's? Imagine older 11's work good with some early 11's Athena RD's.

coreyaugustus
10-01-2018, 10:10 AM

I just picked up a project bike that was running 10sp Ultegra, but I want to run 11sp Record/Chorus parts. I have Easton EA90RTs on it now, but finding a Campy compatible freehub to replace the Shimano piece has been a *****. I just bought some Campy Zondas to replace them. Less than $400 from Chain Reaction and ProBikeKit right now. We'll see how they look when they arrive.

I may keep the Eastons and run them with an 11sp Shimano cassette (11sp groups work with 11sp cassettes).

Good luck!

Jmaxwel8
10-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. If I end up buying the bike I think I will go with the Zondas. That is if I don’t start from the ground up and sell the campy groupset

Plum Hill
10-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Wiggle has Campy Nuetron Ultras for a bit over $600.

Dino Suegiù
10-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. If I end up buying the bike I think I will go with the Zondas. That is if I don’t start from the ground up and sell the campy groupset

Like others said, Zonda are a great value, probably the best value, for Campagnolo wheels, new or used. Shamal, Eurus, or Zonda are all super. I would probably recommend to not go below Zonda (ie Scirocco, etc.) though if you intend to keep the wheels for many years.

Older (so non-G3) Neutron/Nucleon were also excellent, and really beautiful wheels, especially if you can find really mint or even better NOS.

shinomaster
10-01-2018, 11:48 PM
Like others said, Zonda are a great value, probably the best value, for Campagnolo wheels, new or used. Shamal, Eurus, or Zonda are all super. I would probably recommend to not go below Zonda (ie Scirocco, etc.) though if you intend to keep the wheels for many years.

Older (so non-G3) Neutron/Nucleon were also excellent, a nd really beautiful wheels, especially if you can find really mint or even better NOS.

My Scirocco 35's are boat anchors.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2018, 07:14 AM
That's what we will do when I switch a bike to 11's. Which 11's, newer or older 11's? Imagine older 11's work good with some early 11's Athena RD's.

Both but they are cross compatible with before and after 2015...front and rear ders.

coreyaugustus
10-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Pics of the build are always appreciated, if/when.

Jmaxwel8
10-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Pics of the build are always appreciated, if/when.

Got the bike in today. It’s really cool. I decided to go with Zonda wheels the planet cyclery deal was too good to pass up.

https://flic.kr/p/29fApdd

cnighbor1
10-15-2018, 04:40 PM
with free shipping www.wiggle.com

CSKeller
10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Yup..But I have a set of NEW Record laced to Nemesis Ambrosio..tubulari...

Not cheap tho...:eek:

I would do this^^^

Record hubs, Nemesis rims, OP build and some sweet Vittorias or Veloflexes and you will have a dream ride!!