PDA

View Full Version : Ordered item on ebay cancelled without notification. Has it happened to others here?

echappist
09-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Ebay had a coupon for 15% off all items yesterday. I thought: great, i can get my Di2 Shifters and derailleurs. The shifters were from seller A, and the derailleurs (F + R) were from seller B. Due to stipulations for the coupon, the items must be purchased together. I have never mixed orders before, but since this order requires it, I went ahead and bought from two sellers in one order.

At the time of checkout, everything went through just fine. The tabulations showed pricing of the three items, and less the discount, to reach my final out-of-pocket price. The derailleurs were sent yesterday. While checking on order status, I was notified that the order for the shifters was not successful, and that no payment was sent for the shifters. My Discover card shows just this (that is, costs for the derailleurs only, after 15% off).

Now here's the kicker, the order on ebay is showing the price of the un-discounted derailleurs, which represents at ~$50 difference from what is shown on my credit card. I've spent 40 minutes calling ebay (way more than the value of discount on the shifters), and ebay has steadily denied that its system screwed up. They will not accept email documentation with screenshots of the original order confirmation, but apparently will accept fax. I'm now trying to see if I can contact ebay using its internal messaging system and attach the screenshots... Whole thing is kafkaesque; perhaps serves me right to be buying bike toys...

Has this occurred to anyone else?

pjbaz
09-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Damn, that's nuts!

I once had an item cancelled without notice but it was only like $5.95 (Park pedal wrench bottle opener lol) but didn't have nearly the craziness you have with partial charges and higher prices. Good luck!

ultraman6970
09-28-2018, 10:21 PM
wow, that sucks, hope you can get the problem resolved soon.

Ken Robb
09-28-2018, 10:41 PM
I have noticed that some sellers have cancelled their ads after the discount was offered. Can it be that eBay can offer discounts without notice/approval of sellers?

peanutgallery
09-28-2018, 10:46 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

FleaBay. Only the best of the best

ultraman6970
09-29-2018, 01:42 AM
Isnt ebay the one that pays the difference??? I do not see why they should tell the sellers, unless ebay offers the discount w/o paying the difference. In which case sucks big time.

mdeth1313
09-29-2018, 04:44 AM
It's doubtful, but possible they sold out just before the order went through and they cancelled it. They probably screwed up but good luck getting anything out of ebay.

echappist
09-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Thanks for everyone's responses. The seller got back to me earlier today and responded that no order ever reached them.

spent over an hour on ebay. I initially told them that the easiest thing for all parties concerned would be extending the discount period so that I could purchase the item again. They balked for the better part of an hour and finally relented, giving me a credit for the coupon amount on the shifters and telling me that the credit is good for only purchase of that item from that store. But that's apparently not true, as I apparently could apply that credit on any item. Their system is truly messed up...

Discover has finalized the charges for the derailleurs, and it's showing up as ~$50 less than what's being shown on ebay. I'm just lucky that ebay hasn't gotten around to charging me that $50...

One last thing i should mention is that the original coupon was supposedly good for one purchase only (though could be from different vendors), but it was working when I was considering purchasing something else later (an Instant Pot). Ridiculous

macaroon
09-29-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't really understand your OP, but often there are terms associated with the coupons:

"The maximum discount available, per coupon, may be limited. Please refer to 'My eBay' for further details."

Could this be what's caused the problem?

echappist
09-29-2018, 10:11 AM
I don't really understand your OP, but often there are terms associated with the coupons:

"The maximum discount available, per coupon, may be limited. Please refer to 'My eBay' for further details."

Could this be what's caused the problem?

not quite; total value (in the low-mid 600's), would have meant a discount less than the $100 max discount value

Perhaps putting actual terms might help (values slightly fudged):

-Item 1, Shifters, $300, from merchant A
-Item 2, FD, $175, from merchant B
-Item 3, RD, $175, from merchant B

At checkout (and in confirmation email), total item price was $650; total paid (after 15% coupon) is $552.50. Discount value of $97.50 is less than the $100 max as set forth by ebay

When I checked a day later, Item 1 is no longer part of the order, ebay states no order was ever sent to merchant A. Merchant B was able to charge $297.50 (85% of $350) for the derailleurs. This was also confirmed by Discover Card. Discover never showed a charge for $255 (for the shifters). That sub-order just disappeared for some reason.

macaroon
09-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Ah yes, that makes sense now.

Still, you saved $50 on the derailleurs so it's not all bad!

weisan
09-29-2018, 01:28 PM
It has happened to me before. I basically just move on almost immediately because I don't want to invest any emotional energy on something like this especially "special deals" type of things. You win some, you lose some. Part of life.

ultraman6970
09-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Missing transaction and no charges in the CC or bank means just move along to me aswell. Never had this problem tho.

echappist
09-29-2018, 02:52 PM
I guess i should consider myself lucky that i got the ~$50 discount on derailleurs (~$300 for new 8050 Di2) and ~$50 for the 8050 Di2 shifters (ended up paying ~$240)

Given how bad their coding seems to be, i think next time i'll just place two separate orders if a similar situation arises (though i'd hope not, as i really don't want to spend more $$$ on bikes)

yngpunk
09-29-2018, 03:20 PM
I guess i should consider myself lucky that i got the ~$50 discount on derailleurs (~$300 for new 8050 Di2) and ~$50 for the 8050 Di2 shifters (ended up paying ~$240)

Given how bad their coding seems to be, i think next time i'll just place two separate orders if a similar situation arises (though i'd hope not, as i really don't want to spend more $$$ on bikes)

Note these coupons are often one time use, so you may have to check out as a guest on subsequent orders.

pbarry
09-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Use "Add to cart" for mulitple items from different sellers, then enter the coupon code. Thould cover the whole transaction with the discount. I understand the OP did this, but it took me a few tries to figure this out. ;)