PDA

View Full Version : Soft travel cases . . . for the coupled bike.

false_Aest
09-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the S+S backpack and the Ritchey case?

Size shouldn't be an issue (~53.5 ETT).

Danke

R3awak3n
09-28-2018, 07:10 PM
I have a ritchey case, have not used it yet, to bote though that its a bit bigfer than airlines max limit. Most people have not had problems but if they want to screw you over they can. However they are much easier to pack so there ai that.

eddief
09-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Do you want to carry it on your back or do want to roll it? What's your real concern?

false_Aest
09-29-2018, 12:59 AM
Do you want to carry it on your back or do want to roll it? What's your real concern?

My real concern is having a bag that doesn't suck and make me wish I got the other one. (I don't have the $400-$500 for the S+S hard case.)

Backpack. rolling. Doesn't matter. Just want it to work. I can schlep it however.

Billybob62
09-29-2018, 06:32 AM
I had the Ritchey case and it didn't last very long. I think it went through about 8 plane trips before both handles were torn off. Airport baggage handlers aren't known for finesse......

everbeek
09-29-2018, 01:34 PM
My real concern is having a bag that doesn't suck and make me wish I got the other one. (I don't have the $400-$500 for the S+S hard case.)

Backpack. rolling. Doesn't matter. Just want it to work. I can schlep it however.

I have the Co-Motion S&S nylon case. Meets all airline requirements, is much easier to fit and pack my 59.5 cm C-T frame than my friend's hard case, and rolls easily through airports, etc. It has held up well over ~12 flight segments but I have had one tacoed wheel and one noticeable, but innocuous, dent in my downtube.

donevwil
09-29-2018, 01:50 PM
I have the Co-Motion S&S nylon case. Meets all airline requirements, is much easier to fit and pack my 59.5 cm C-T frame than my friend's hard case, and rolls easily through airports, etc. It has held up well over ~12 flight segments but I have had one tacoed wheel and one noticeable, but innocuous, dent in my downtube.

Ditto, I've travelled quite a few times with a 10" S&S gray case and it was only OK for my very large bike. Moved to a new Ti travel bike and it was a no-go. Received a Co-Motion case with a used travel bike purchased for my wife and immediately took ownership of it. Fits my Ti bike fine and still legal size. Previous owner had used it plenty and it's still in solid shape.

A friend swears by the ease of packing of the Ritchey case/bag and has never been tagged for oversize, but has also had to replace it after a handful of trips.