PDA

View Full Version : SMP Blaster

Dave
09-27-2018, 04:26 PM
One thing that's changed since 2010, when I quit cycling is saddles. I decided to try the SMP Blaster, since they are on sale for 45% off at several online sellers.

I got my first ride in today and I was pleasantly surprised. I could certainly tell that the saddle had minimal padding, but I had no problem with uncomfortable pressure points, which is good when you have prostate problems.

Settling the saddle up was a bit tricky, since I had no clue on what angle might work. I use a digital level, placed along one side and came up with a 6.4 degree angle between the two points were the level touched at the tail and near the nose, before is abruptly turns down. The angle puts the nose lower than the tail.

With the curved down nose, you can get real low on a decent and not have any uncomfortable pressure.

I think this one is a keeper.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2018, 06:51 AM
One thing that's changed since 2010, when I quit cycling is saddles. I decided to try the SMP Blaster, since they are on sale for 45% off at several online sellers.

I got my first ride in today and I was pleasantly surprised. I could certainly tell that the saddle had minimal padding, but I had no problem with uncomfortable pressure points, which is good when you have prostate problems.

Settling the saddle up was a bit tricky, since I had no clue on what angle might work. I use a digital level, placed along one side and came up with a 6.4 degree angle between the two points were the level touched at the tail and near the nose, before is abruptly turns down. The angle puts the nose lower than the tail.

With the curved down nose, you can get real low on a decent and not have any uncomfortable pressure.

I think this one is a keeper.

Been a big fan of SMP for a while..Only saddle I could use after I got a nasty saddle sore/lump 'down there'...Yup set up can be involved. SMP has a good guide. Mine(Glider) is about 1.5 degrees nose up from a line from the 2 high points on the saddle but YMMV..

Great company as well and C40 on this forum works with/for GianLuca(owner) of Albabici..

mcteague
09-28-2018, 07:23 AM
I have the Dynamic on my two bikes. After lots of messing about, 2 degrees down seems to work for me. The Blaster is quite a bit more narrow than the Dynamic but otherwise similar. We all have different curves to our pelvic bones as well and varying positions on the bike so it can take a bit of work to discover which Selle SMP works best and how to set it up. A short ride won't really reveal whether these saddles will work for you, thus their trial program.

Tim