PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cordless/Butane Soldering Irons

cmbicycles
09-26-2018, 08:28 PM
I have a butane bernzomatic soldering iron I picked up at Lowes or depot a while back. Intent was something handy so as to not have to plug in my other irons, but, good grief the thing has trouble melting butter with the soldering tips. I almost about threw it in the trash today... held it on two small wires to de-solder for minutes on end and it didn't melt a drop of solder. Frustrated I used the lighter/torch I have to light the thing and it melted the solder in a couple seconds.

Well, all that to say I'm in the market for something different that is hopefully better. Anyone use a butane soldering iron regularly enough to give a good recommendation? I've read a few reviews online, but the few Ive read are poorly written or praise everything for being cordless and having adjustable flames... *sigh*.

Expedited
09-26-2018, 09:26 PM
Man this sounds like a shoddy product. I'm not too bothered by the wire so I've always stuck with my Hakko iron.

Peter P.
09-27-2018, 05:07 AM
I own a Weller Portasol (https://www.sears.com/weller-174-portasol-174-professional-self-igniting-cordless-butane-solder/p-00954055000P?sid=isx20140327xdsa&psid=601x45634&knshCrid=239739970948&k_clickID=43c70be8-6ff3-42a4-a7b3-2651315f15a4&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7HdBRDPARIsAN_ltcIoA8etaRd6eIkZ4wmY Zd8GkZfe3__0eea2Z8ok3FYXRdPY0OlCc2IaAivUEALw_wcB) for work. Works fine for me. Occasionally I'll have to replace a tip, but those are available on-line.

false_Aest
09-27-2018, 08:05 AM
I have one from BluePoint/SnapOn and I feel the same way.
I never use it but I can't throw it away -- it was so expensive.
The $15 one I got from Lowes does everything I need it to.

09-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Butane just doesn't create a lot of heat when burned. I've used a variety of these. They're popular on sailboats for cutting cordage and sail fabric and that, or lighting a cigarette, is about what they're best for. Heat up a tied-and-soldered spoke joint to remove the solder and it takes forever. But if you've ever had a stove heated with propane (another low-temp burner) rather than natural gas, you'll wait for it to warm water.

These are portable but really just a last resort solution. Besides not being hot they aren't especially controllable. For electronics of any kind, get a properly controlled corded unit and you'll be a lot happier.

tombtfslpk
09-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Butane just doesn't create a lot of heat when burned. I've used a variety of these. They're popular on sailboats for cutting cordage and sail fabric and that, or lighting a cigarette, is about what they're best for. Heat up a tied-and-soldered spoke joint to remove the solder and it takes forever. But if you've ever had a stove heated with propane (another low-temp burner) rather than natural gas, you'll wait for it to warm water.

These are portable but really just a last resort solution. Besides not being hot they aren't especially controllable. For electronics of any kind, get a properly controlled corded unit and you'll be a lot happier.
I have used a lot of marine stoves, so I'll have to question your statement. Propane contains more than twice the BTU's per square foot of volume, and burns at a higher flame temperature.
I have been on some boats with butane stoves....really bad. Some marine propane stoves don't have enough burner output due to carbon monoxide concerns.
Those little butane line cutters only seem to aggravate me, give me a sharp blunt point knife and I'll burn and whip the end.