PDA

View Full Version : Chest sensors, Garmin vs. Wahoo ?

bobswire
09-25-2018, 12:31 PM
I purchased a Garmin Edge Explore and trying to decide between Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor or Wahoo TICKR Heart Rate Monitor.
I haven't used HR for a few years since my old HR died and I have been out of the loop on the latest tech. Reading reviews on Amazon is confusing at best and most times it seems the buyer is clueless in set up.
Anyway any experienced users reviews or suggestions is welcome.
Thanks, Bob
P.S. I leaning towards the Wahoo TICKR (Bluetooth/Ant+ capabilities).

Alan
09-25-2018, 12:43 PM
I really like my Wahoo optical heart monitor. Works great all the time. I forget that I am wearing it vs the restricting chest strap.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/heart-rate-monitors/tickr-fit-optical-heart-rate-monitor

Alan

chrisroph
09-25-2018, 12:46 PM
I have a wahoo and it is perfect.

shortwaveradio
09-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Going to +1 the Wahoo suggestion. I'm a pretty big believer in the simplicity of the Wahoo ecosystem as a whole, and even though you went with a Garmin computer, I think the Wahoo strap is the better option. There's also the Wahoo arm band HR sensor if you're on the fence about a chest strap.

seahuston
09-25-2018, 12:55 PM
I went for the Wahoo for the bluetooth capability. Most of the time I pair it over ANT with my GPS but if I'm traveling/riding a different bike/running it's nice to have the option to go direct to phone

teleguy57
09-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Skip the chest strap. Scosche Rhythm (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/scosches-rhythm-24-optical-hr-sensor.html) optical arm band, either the original + version or the new 24. Works well in all weather (chest straps get funny in cold when you don't sweat as much) and are more comfortable.

madsciencenow
09-25-2018, 01:20 PM
I have the older garmin HR monitor and the newer wahoo tickr run and both work fine. The BT that comes with the wahoo monitor is really nice for Zwift if that’s your thing.

One knock on the wahoo is that I’ve broken three bands in the past 8-9 months. Wahoo has been awesome about sending a new one each time it’s happened but I’m not sure what will happen when I’m out of the warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expedited
09-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Skip the chest strap. Scosche Rhythm (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/scosches-rhythm-24-optical-hr-sensor.html) optical arm band, either the original + version or the new 24. Works well in all weather (chest straps get funny in cold when you don't sweat as much) and are more comfortable.

I'm not sure how alike all optical wrist heart rate monitors are, but the one on my Garmin Forerunner sucks. I think it's the 225, but my running friends and I all have one and the numbers are always flying all over the place no matter how I try to position it on my wrist.

ptourkin
09-25-2018, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure how alike all optical wrist heart rate monitors are, but the one on my Garmin Forerunner sucks. I think it's the 225, but my running friends and I all have one and the numbers are always flying all over the place no matter how I try to position it on my wrist.

DCR is more up on the Scosche than the optical on Garmin wrist devices and Apple watches. The latter two are generally not that good during activity although Garmin is getting better with the Fenix devices.

Having the dual band Tickr is nice if you forget your bike computer or want to record a walk on your phone.

rmk
09-25-2018, 04:42 PM
The Wahoo is better than the Garmin strap.

teleguy57
09-25-2018, 07:51 PM
DCR is more up on the Scosche than the optical on Garmin wrist devices and Apple watches. The latter two are generally not that good during activity although Garmin is getting better with the Fenix devices.

Having the dual band Tickr is nice if you forget your bike computer or want to record a walk on your phone.

Agree. Wrist-based optical (I have a Fenix F3HR) is not overly responsive to activities where HR goes up/down/etc I use my Scosche strap with my Fenix and it's a whole nother ball game.

I believe the newer Scosche 24 also records so you don't need a head unit/watch to capture an activity.

R3awak3n
09-25-2018, 07:55 PM
the wahoo is better than the garmin strap.

+1

bobswire
09-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Appreciate all the replies, I went with the Wahoo and should have it Thursday. I used the Garmin Edge Explorer for the first time today and it exceeded my expectations. I didn't use any of the navigation features as yet other than flip the pages to see my riding specs then I finger flip the screen to nav. view that shows me where I'm headed and informs what streets or hwy is coming up. It also in informed me I was receiving a call from Nancy on my iPhone. This is all pre-programed once it's mated to your phone. I think I'm in love. Can't wait for the Wahoo sensor, though I'm worried the Explorer may inform me I need a by-pass. ;)

http://i67.tinypic.com/122m2j9.jpg

93KgBike
09-26-2018, 10:03 AM
wahoo works great, is accurate by comparison to a holter monitor, syncs quickly, and if you run over the strap with your lawn mower because your daughter left it in the front lawn, replacement straps can be found online for cheap.

redir
09-26-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm just getting back into this myself. Just purchased an Edge 520 will Wahoo work with that? Are these things generally compatible? I guess all ya need is ANT and that is the standard.

sitzmark
09-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Have Tickr and a few Garmin straps. Tickr has been very reliable and comfortable. BT/ANT+ means it is one strap for all uses. Only strap I use now.

ergott
09-26-2018, 11:20 AM
The 4iiii chest HRM has a nice feature others don't. It can bridge any ANT+ sensor on your bike to BT so your phone or similar device can pick up information.

https://4iiii-innovations.myshopify.com/collections/heart-rate-monitors

It's helpful since not all sensors and PMs are bluetooth yet.

sitzmark
09-26-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm just getting back into this myself. Just purchased an Edge 520 will Wahoo work with that? Are these things generally compatible? I guess all ya need is ANT and that is the standard.

Yes - ANT for your 520.

Garmin trying hard to keep the market ANT for sensors, but more and more stuff is going BT due to phone/app integration options. Tickr has both. Garmin not because it would mean caving on their sensor standard.

Avispa
09-26-2018, 02:08 PM
P.S. I leaning towards the Wahoo TICKR (Bluetooth/Ant+ capabilities).

I have a couple of SRM power meters and was using the provided CardioSport HRM provided by them.

I switched to using the Wahoo HRM because of the BLE/ANT capability of it. If I am doing a training session on the Wahoo Trainer, I do not have to swap HRM's as the sensor can be seen by the Wahoo App, using BLE and by my SRM PC8 using ANT+. The Wahoo app, does not save files in the .fit format, so I am forced to use two things on the trainer. Having this HRM it's a breeze and effortless. One thing I do not like on the TICKr is the chest strap. I prefer chest straps in which the back of the HRM sensor does not come in contact with your body, so I kept using the CardioSport strap.

One thing I've noticed is that many people have approached me asking about problems and warranty issues with the TICKr. Some have told me that just after 3 weeks of use it has gone dead. Others that it fails to work in the middle of rides.

I haven't had issues with mine, but I tend to be anal about caring for my bike equipment. I wipe, clean and dry this sensor thoroughly after every ride.

redir
09-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Yes - ANT for your 520.

Garmin trying hard to keep the market ANT for sensors, but more and more stuff is going BT due to phone/app integration options. Tickr has both. Garmin not because it would mean caving on their sensor standard.

Interesting. I just got the G3 hub and realized, aw crap, I cannot use my Yellow Cyclops computer with it because it is no longer BT but instead is ANT.

sitzmark
09-26-2018, 04:21 PM
Interesting. I just got the G3 hub and realized, aw crap, I cannot use my Yellow Cyclops computer with it because it is no longer BT but instead is ANT.

I have GS hubs and the cap came in 3 flavors - BT, ANT, BT/ANT. You might check with Powertap to see if you can swap for a dual comm cap for the G3.

ergott
09-26-2018, 05:23 PM

See my post above. The 4iiii HRM will fix that.

redir
09-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Oh ok I see... Thanks.

Avispa
09-28-2018, 06:40 PM

Well, the issue is a little more complicated that that. Garmin does not own ANT/ANT+ and it is not their standard. Like many others in the fitness industry ANT was adopted early by many companies in the fitness world because it is an open standard and had many advantages over the standard Blue Tooth technology; ANT was designed specifically to connect low power devices, while the original Blue Tooth in phones and computers and some fitness devices was not designed with this in mind; that is devices running on button cell batteries and such as most fitness equipment/devices.

With the development of ANT+ and BLE, things have changed and improved, but to this day still, some may say ANT+ is superior to BLE.

For instance, one advantage of ANT+ is that one could connect several devices of the same kind at the same time to the same receiver, which is important when using sports/fitness equipment. While with BLE once you pair a device to the receiver, you cannot add a similar device to it. One example: the Wahoo trainer comes with a power meter (BLE/ANT+), but if you connect your bike power meter to your phone, or bike computer via BLE, you have to disconnect it before you could connect the Wahoo Trainer.

Some Samsung phones are equipped with ANT+ and BLE sensors and it is easy use them without dongles. Apple is a developing member of the BLE technology consortium and has openly opposed adding ANT+ support to their phones, thus forcing many of us to use an ANT dongle...

Since more and more companies have realized this, they have decided to make their devices both BLE and ANT+ compatible...

ergott
09-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Well, the issue is a little more complicated that that. Garmin does not own ANT/ANT+ and it is not their standard. Like many others in the fitness industry ANT was adopted early by many companies in the fitness world because it is an open standard and had many advantages over the standard Blue Tooth technology; ANT was designed specifically to connect low power devices, while the original Blue Tooth in receivers in most non-fitness devices was not designed with this in mind; that is devices running on button cell batteries and such.

With the development of ANT+ and BLE, things have changed and improved, but to this day still, some may say ANT+ is superior to BLE.

For instance, one advantage of ANT+ is that one could connect several devices of the same kind at the same time to the same receiver, which is important when using sports/fitness equipment. While BLE once you pair a device to the receiver, you cannot add a similar device to it. One example: the Wahoo trainer comes with a power meter (BLE/ANT+), but if you connect your bike power meter to your phone via BLE, you have to disconnect it before you could connect the Wahoo Trainer.

Some Samsung phones came equipped with ANT and BLE sensors and it was great to use them without dongles. Apple is a developing member of the BLE technology and has openly opposed adding ANT+ support to their phones, thus forcing many of us to use an ANT dongle...

Since more and more companies have realized this, they have decided to make their devices both BLE and ANT+ compatible...

Exactly. BLE is all Apple's fault. If people used android devices more and had ANT+ capabilities things would be better.

Avispa
09-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Exactly. BLE is all Apple's fault. If people used android devices more and had ANT+ capabilities things would be better.

:confused: ;)
Not sure if you are joking... In any case, worldwide, Android devices are used and sold more than iPhones (20% market share for Samsung vs 14% for Apple).

However, I'd agree that perhaps more affluent people that purchase fitness equipment may own more iOS devices.

mdeth1313
09-29-2018, 04:47 AM
back to the HR straps. Garmin straps tend to be iffy. Lots of people have them fail or not work well. Could be the sheer size of the sample. I have the old garmin strap from my edge 305 (13 years old) and it still works perfectly. Others haven't been so lucky. If I was to buy another one I'd go with wahoo at this point.

sitzmark
09-29-2018, 05:08 AM
Well, the issue is a little more complicated that that. Garmin does not own ANT/ANT+ and it is not their standard.

So there is no misunderstanding...

ANT+ (pronounced ant plus) is a wireless protocol for monitoring sensor data such as a person's heart rate or a bicycle's tyre/tire pressure, as well as the control of systems like indoor lighting or a television set. ANT+ is designed and maintained by the ANT+ Alliance which is managed by ANT Wireless, a division of Dynatream Innovations owned by Garmin. It is based on the ANT protocol.

flydhest
09-29-2018, 06:21 AM
At the risk of some thread drift. Do folks have a HR monitor that works well with a Tacx NEO interfacing with an iPad?

Avispa
09-29-2018, 07:03 AM
So there is no misunderstanding...

ANT+ (pronounced ant plus) is a wireless protocol for monitoring sensor data such as a person's heart rate or a bicycle's tyre/tire pressure, as well as the control of systems like indoor lighting or a television set. ANT+ is designed and maintained by the ANT+ Alliance which is managed by ANT Wireless, a division of Dynatream Innovations owned by Garmin. It is based on the ANT protocol.
Thanks for the clarification!!! Its seems that is a question of trend setting then? The same reason any serious fitness tool now uses ".fit" files perhaps...

sitzmark
09-29-2018, 10:15 AM
In a competitive field like health monitoring you either lead or you follow. Garmin is big but the companies playing in the healthcare space are huge. Garmin bought Dynastream to have a controlling interest in a standard they took and early lead in supporting. Healthcare standards have a way of becoming “fuzzy” as various players try to influence interpretation/application of a standard for competitive advantage. Garmin’s $40mil purchase of Dynastream heavily influenced Polar and others not to adopt ANT+. Garmin has had to fight diligently to keep ANT+ at the forefront. .fit follows a similar business dynamic.

Avispa
09-29-2018, 01:00 PM
In a competitive field like health monitoring you either lead or you follow. Garmin is big but the companies playing in the healthcare space are huge. Garmin bought Dynastream to have a controlling interest in a standard they took and early lead in supporting. Healthcare standards have a way of becoming “fuzzy” as various players try to influence interpretation/application of a standard for competitive advantage. Garmin’s $40mil purchase of Dynastream heavily influenced Polar and others not to adopt ANT+. Garmin has had to fight diligently to keep ANT+ at the forefront. .fit follows a similar business dynamic.

The sad part of all this is when companies start pushing their standards and then the consumer is left in limbo with a bunch of incompatible devices. I guess Apple is to BLE to what Garmin is to ANT+. No wonder Apple refuses to put an ANT+ receiver on their phones. :crap: