PDA

View Full Version : I've got almost $900 to blow, is Wahoo Kickr best use of it?

MattTuck
09-25-2018, 11:12 AM
We have a health incentive thing at work, that rewards you up to $100 per quarter for doing little healthy things, and exercising, etc.

Anyway, I've been letting my balance accumulate for a while and I'm just about at $900. I've been thinking of getting a wahoo Kickr for the winter (which would make the out of pocket ~$300)

I feel like 900 isn't enough to get a new bike, and I don't really need a new bike (and don't have time to ride it anyway). If not the Kickr for the winter, options are to let it continue to accumulate or get something else.

Anyone have any other good ideas on stuff to buy? Feedback work stand comes to mind.

jr59
09-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Wouldn’t that depend on what you already have?

Or just let it ride on the way to whatever you are aiming at. Bike, high zoot wheels, any number of things

FlashUNC
09-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Feedback Omnium trainer would be my suggestion. Packs up small, easy to set up, works well I think. Unless you really want to do the Zwifting thing.

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Do you already have a trainer and use training software?

ergott
09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Someone's selling Kickr 2018 for $850 in the classifieds. I absolutely love riding indoors with Zwift.

MattTuck
09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Feedback Omnium trainer would be my suggestion. Packs up small, easy to set up, works well I think. Unless you really want to do the Zwifting thing.

That is one funky looking contraption :) My current trainer set up is a Cyclops Fluid TT circa 2002. And I have Kreitler rollers.

The fascination with the Kickr is that I can do power based workouts, which I don't currently have a way of doing. So, another obvious possibility is to get a power meter for the bike.

Seems though, that a lot of people like the Kickr, and zwift helps make it less dreadful.

ergott
09-25-2018, 11:23 AM
I'd get a power meter before smart trainer. Training with watts means riding/racing with watts.

ergott
09-25-2018, 11:25 AM
link to kickr

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=228298

Jad
09-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Since having a wee one 15 months ago, I've been very happy to have a Thule Chariot. We used it last winter with a XC ski attachment and picked up the bike trailer hookup this summer. It's a good way to keep getting out, especially during the winter.

I think you'd need the double:)
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-trailers/multisport-trailers/thule-chariot-cross-2-_-10202004

MattTuck
09-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Since having a wee one 15 months ago, I've been very happy to have a Thule Chariot. We used it last winter with a XC ski attachment and picked up the bike trailer hookup this summer. It's a good way to keep getting out, especially during the winter.

I think you'd need the double:)
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-trailers/multisport-trailers/thule-chariot-cross-2-_-10202004

damn, that looks pretty slick actually. Atleast that is one thing that I'll only need to buy ONE of... they're still so small, I haven't even thought about putting them into a trailer like this. But by the time winter rolls around, they should be big enough :)

pgrizzwald
09-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Depends on what your goals are really. Is a kickr going to help you reach them or are you just looking to spice up your indoor training? I'd only go kickr if you are looking at doing some serious structured indoor stuff. I wouldn't spend $900 just to play around on zwift a few times.

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Get a power meter, and try the Zwift trial to see if you like it. If you do end up spending a lot of time riding inside, save up for a Kickr.

woolly
09-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Full set of ceramic bearing upgrades.

(I am not serious)

MattTuck
09-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Full set of ceramic bearing upgrades.

Your ideas intrigue me. haha. If I were to splurge, I think it would be on new shoes. Maybe some of those semi-custom Luck shoes from Spain, or the Riivo shoes from the US.

avalonracing
09-25-2018, 01:08 PM
How about $900 in winter clothing?

shortwaveradio
09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
In ten years of riding, I'd never ridden indoors for more than 3 days in a row because of how much I hate it - until I got a Kickr. It's that good.

I do have a power meter on one of my bikes, so there is the added benefit of being able to ride with power and not just train with power as someone mentioned above, but the amount of stuff you can do with the Kickr is pretty wild. Being able to train to a wattage output is amazing; it doesn't let you slack off, and the data output is enough to keep me engaged. That said, you really do not need to have a power meter on a bike to benefit from a Kickr, but it might make you want one down the road.

The trainer has been so good, it has me considering the possibility of selling my Edge 520 to upgrade to a Wahoo Elemnt, just so I have the added bonus of the extra features.

FlashUNC
09-25-2018, 01:32 PM
I'd get a power meter before smart trainer. Training with watts means riding/racing with watts.

Totally agreed. A power meter on a dumb trainer is better than a dedicated smart trainer.

shortwaveradio
09-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Totally agreed. A power meter on a dumb trainer is better than a dedicated smart trainer.

I would agree with this sentiment if smart trainers were just dumb trainers with power meters. The Kickr is definitely not that, and I think it's a better training tool for the average cyclist than a power meter.

General69
09-25-2018, 01:43 PM
You need a rack!

FlashUNC
09-25-2018, 01:46 PM
I would agree with this sentiment if smart trainers were just dumb trainers with power meters. The Kickr is definitely not that, and I think it's a better training tool for the average cyclist than a power meter.

Certainly agreed there's a deeper functionality, but that functionality ends at the doorstep. The best first step is a power meter that's around all the time, regardless of where you're riding.

AngryScientist
09-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Certainly agreed there's a deeper functionality, but that functionality ends at the doorstep. The best first step is a power meter that's around all the time, regardless of where you're riding.

that may be true for some people, but not necessarily universally true.

it would certainly not be for me. i have zero interest in following a structured training plan during the fair weather months, i just like to ride a lot, ramble through new locations and enjoy my time on the bike, but in the crap weather months, if i can have a smart, interactive trainer that get's me a bit more engaged during indoor cycling, that'll actually get me to use the thing over the winter, that wins, hands down.

kppolich
09-25-2018, 02:11 PM
I've gone down this same path.

Start:
Power meter
Power meter + dumb trainer for indoor training
Power meter + Smart Trainer
End/

Power meters are great for both indoors and outdoors. Smart trainers do make indoor training easier by reducing the whole 'thinking' thing. They work well, easy structure, and adjust resistance for you.

I would say for $900 you should be able to find a power meter and smart trainer (not a new of either though).

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 02:24 PM
But maybe the $900 has to be spent at a major retailer since it is a work promotion?

weisan
09-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Hire a trainer, put some structure, diet and time management discipline in place.

MattTuck
09-25-2018, 02:42 PM
But maybe the $900 has to be spent at a major retailer since it is a work promotion?

nah, they just transfer it to my bank account. I can spend it on anything, I've just sort of ear marked it for cycling.

notsew
09-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Two days ago I got a kickr snap for $100 at the REI garage sale (they actually had 3 - but this one had survived the most previous garage sales so was the cheapest). Very excited to try out Zwift, I've never been able to get myself to ride inside, hopefully this will help.

Mostly this is just sharing my deal excitement, but also, check out a REI garage sale, maybe you can get a smart trainer and still have enough for some $500 shoes!

93KgBike
09-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Anyone have any other good ideas on stuff to buy? Feedback work stand comes to mind.

$600 laser liposuction (https://medicalcosmetic.org/) and $300 teeth whitening?

Otherwise, I'd try one of the Tacx trainers before spending on the Kickr.

trener1
09-25-2018, 03:42 PM
$100 for a Snap is insane.

cash05458
09-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Who knows...but I can only say that since I got my Kickr my indoor training (zwift) went up about 400 percent...it's a blast...some of the best money I ever spent on myself...

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 07:13 PM
nah, they just transfer it to my bank account. I can spend it on anything, I've just sort of ear marked it for cycling.

In that case, a power meter like the one ebaumann has been trying to sell, and a used original Kickr.

glepore
09-25-2018, 08:01 PM
I've gone down this same path.

Start:
Power meter
Power meter + dumb trainer for indoor training
Power meter + Smart Trainer
End/

Power meters are great for both indoors and outdoors. Smart trainers do make indoor training easier by reducing the whole 'thinking' thing. They work well, easy structure, and adjust resistance for you.

I would say for $900 you should be able to find a power meter and smart trainer (not a new of either though).
This. Stages or older Quarq and a Computrainer. If you already have a pm get the kickr.

John H.
09-25-2018, 09:42 PM
I have had the loan of an Omnium trainer for the last two months-it is nice for what is, but not so good for anything more than endurance type riding.
Power does not ramp up to high levels, and because the trainer is pretty light it does not stay as grounded as a heavier trainer if you are trying to power it.

My vote is for a Kick’r.

That is one funky looking contraption :) My current trainer set up is a Cyclops Fluid TT circa 2002. And I have Kreitler rollers.

The fascination with the Kickr is that I can do power based workouts, which I don't currently have a way of doing. So, another obvious possibility is to get a power meter for the bike.

Seems though, that a lot of people like the Kickr, and zwift helps make it less dreadful.

makoti
09-25-2018, 09:46 PM
In ten years of riding, I'd never ridden indoors for more than 3 days in a row because of how much I hate it - until I got a Kickr. It's that good.

I do have a power meter on one of my bikes, so there is the added benefit of being able to ride with power and not just train with power as someone mentioned above, but the amount of stuff you can do with the Kickr is pretty wild. Being able to train to a wattage output is amazing; it doesn't let you slack off, and the data output is enough to keep me engaged. That said, you really do not need to have a power meter on a bike to benefit from a Kickr, but it might make you want one down the road.

The trainer has been so good, it has me considering the possibility of selling my Edge 520 to upgrade to a Wahoo Elemnt, just so I have the added bonus of the extra features.

Similar, but I'd force myself to do it. Now, with a kickr, I will ride certain workouts inside instead of out because I get a better workout in. For some workouts, for me, it's just so much more efficient.

John H.
09-25-2018, 09:50 PM
I have power meters on all my bikes, I have for many years.

I would still say a kick’r Is a better investment (if it gets used).

It is easy to be engaged outdoors- a lot tougher indoors. I think the kick’r And things like swift and trainer road help with engagement.

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 11:39 PM
But you don't need a Kickr/smart trainer to use Zwift/TR.

I don't even like Zwift to control the virtual gradient changes. Just makes for a lot of shifting.

Erg mode is nice, though.

saab2000
09-26-2018, 02:34 AM
But you don't need a Kickr/smart trainer to use Zwift/TR.

I don't even like Zwift to control the virtual gradient changes. Just makes for a lot of shifting.

Erg mode is nice, though.

But that’s the whole point, isn’t it? I have a Kickr I bought used from a friend last year. I already had an account on Zwift and the heavy flywheel and realistic gradient resistance are what make it engaging. Yes, the rider will have to shift, just like in real life.

I rode Zwift on my old fluid trainer and the experience was OK, at best. It might be substantially improved with a power meter though. There would seem to be some merit to that argument. But that will probably end up costing as much as a Kickr.

For me, and I think others feel the same way, the Kickr with Zwift has completely transformative WRT winter training. My dumb trainer is collecting dust now, literally.

Tim Porter
09-26-2018, 05:06 AM
For me, and I think others feel the same way, the Kickr with Zwift has completely transformative WRT winter training. My dumb trainer is collecting dust now, literally.

Totally agree. I used one of Zwift's training routines by Marco Pinotti over the winter last year on my Kickr and was much stronger this spring/summer. You plug in a value for your FTP and bingo, there are 10-12 weeks of well designed sessions for you. I had had a Computrainer for many years and gave up on it when their support for it stopped.

Another vote for the Kickr.

kramnnim
09-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Oh, I love my Kickr, but for the flywheel/road feel and direct drive. I just don't find it engaging or pleasant for the trainer to change resistance based on virtual terrain. The desire to not get dropped by those you're racing against is far more engaging...

oldpotatoe
09-26-2018, 06:48 AM

If ya don't need anything 'bike', what else do you do? What other hobbies/pastimes? If I had $900, I know what I would do and it isn't anything 'bike'...:)

OtayBW
09-26-2018, 06:56 AM
Whatever happened to good ole 'hookers and blow'? :hello:

oldguy00
09-26-2018, 07:53 AM
Just to pile on...
My kickr is the best investment in bike gear I've made in 20 years. Such great workouts on Trainer Road, etc

Yes, you can buy a power meter for your bike, but it is a lot nicer having the trainer control the resistance to force you to do the prescribed workout.

I'm still on my gen1 kickr, I keep it at a friends house for group workouts a few times a week. I'm planning to buy a Kickr Core shortly to keep at my house.

saab2000
09-26-2018, 08:45 AM

That’s already in the budget.

OtayBW
09-26-2018, 09:21 AM
That’s already in the budget.
Oh - OK, great! Carry on!.....

MattTuck
09-26-2018, 10:42 AM
If ya don't need anything 'bike', what else do you do? What other hobbies/pastimes? If I had $900, I know what I would do and it isn't anything 'bike'...:)

Other hobbies, haha! I barely have time right now for this one, and I'm hoping the Kickr will help me to make more time for it. Aside from work, almost 100% of my time is taken up with babies. I tried to watch a 15 minute youtube video last night -- hit pause every time I had to get up and do something for the babies. Didn't even make it through the video over the whole course of the night.

I'm a married man now with children. Need to set a good example.

Totally agree. I used one of Zwift's training routines by Marco Pinotti over the winter last year on my Kickr and was much stronger this spring/summer. You plug in a value for your FTP and bingo, there are 10-12 weeks of well designed sessions for you. I had had a Computrainer for many years and gave up on it when their support for it stopped.

Another vote for the Kickr.

Yeah, given limited training time, I am hopeful that approach gives the biggest bang for the buck to come back strong next season.

Ozz
09-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Have you maxed out your 401(k) / IRA / HSA / 529 Plan contributions for the year?:eek:

Seriously, sounds like a fun problem to have!

:beer:

72gmc
09-26-2018, 12:48 PM
A custom pair of White's Semi Dress boots could take care of about $600 of your problem, and make your feet happy for the rest of your life.

Louis
09-26-2018, 11:13 PM
Concept 2 Model D rowing machine $900

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d

A way better, more complete and more challenging workout than riding a pedal trainer. Will do stuff for your body that 50 hrs / week of cycling couldn't do.

Great for winter, and a brutal workout if that's what you want, or not so tough if you want to take it easy that day.

Made in Vermont by a compay owned by folks with a connection to Thayer.

TMD
09-27-2018, 12:59 AM
A Wahoo Kicker and a Zwift subscription have changed the game of winter/indoor training. You will not be disappointed!!!! Talk your significant other into letting you keep it set up on a dedicated bike ready to ride.

vav
09-27-2018, 04:47 AM
Matt, your kids still fly for free. Buy 2 txts to Florida/Arizona/anywhere 50 degrees warmer than NH in Feruary and spend 10-12 days down there. :banana:

sparky33
09-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Other hobbies, haha! I barely have time right now for this one, and I'm hoping the Kickr will help me to make more time for it. Aside from work, almost 100% of my time is taken up with babies. I tried to watch a 15 minute youtube video last night -- hit pause every time I had to get up and do something for the babies. Didn't even make it through the video over the whole course of the night.
It is insane but normal. It gets better.

Your goal of building convenience is key...finding balance in the corners of the day is an art in which you will become an expert. Maybe a Kickr or something similar could be a part of that in the near future. Training or structure is not really the point.

My kids are a bit older and easier, but our days are busy enough that I often hop on Zwift for an hour or so after everyone goes to bed...sometimes for a workout or sometimes just to zone-out.

rzthomas
09-27-2018, 11:34 AM

A way better, more complete and more challenging workout than riding a pedal trainer. Will do stuff for your body that 50 hrs / week of cycling couldn't do.

Great for winter, and a brutal workout if that's what you want, or not so tough if you want to take it easy that day.

Another vote for a Model D. Best workout you can do. And if you decide that the machine is collecting dust, you can sell it for 95% of the original MSRP –– they hold their value.

oldguy00
09-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Another vote for a Model D. Best workout you can do. And if you decide that the machine is collecting dust, you can sell it for 95% of the original MSRP –– they hold their value.

Just to give another perspective, I bought a model D......hated it. Oh, its an amazing tool, but I just hated rowing! lol

But I do agree that they hold their value well. I think I ended up selling mine for about 85% of what I paid. It was about 1.5 years old at the time.

Vamoots58
09-27-2018, 03:44 PM
Love it, best $1000 i've spent on cycling! I also have a Model D, had it for 15 years.

MattTuck
09-27-2018, 03:47 PM

oh boy, a new contender emerges. Wonder what Stuart McGill says about rowing.

Louis
09-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Wonder what Stuart McGill says about rowing.

My experience related to this:

I've had a lot more low-back pain due to cycling (some pain after tough hilly rides) than due to rowing (no back paiin at all). I've also had way, way way fewer knee issues with the rower than with cycling.

The only real issues I've had are with my right elbow a few years ago (which was fixed by switching my thumbs from under the handle to over the handle) and my riight shoulder last year (which was due to my starting rowing again after a break and trying to do too much too soon).

deens
11-03-2018, 09:37 PM
OP, Curious to what you decided to do with the money. I'm in a similar scenario.

MattTuck
11-04-2018, 05:21 PM
OP, Curious to what you decided to do with the money. I'm in a similar scenario.

I'm about 75% on the Kickr and 25% on the Concept2 rower.

Although a good suggestion was the Chariot2 trailer/stroller, we live in New England and have pretty long cold/snowy winters. The most important consideration is improving the indoor set up so I can fit in workouts around the babies' schedules. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, mainly because they aren't sleeping through the night yet, and I really have no time/energy to workout right now anyway.

I already have a set of rollers and an older Fluid trainer. So, the rower may win out just because it is a totally different exercise, and my back has really been bothering me since the babies were born.

BobbyJones
11-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Matt, your kids still fly for free. Buy 2 txts to Florida/Arizona/anywhere 50 degrees warmer than NH in Feruary and spend 10-12 days down there. :banana:

This.

Louis
11-05-2018, 02:09 AM
Matt, you guys have access to the College gym facilities, don't you? I'm 99.9999% sure that they would have a few C2 rowers. If you're considering getting one, I would suggest trying it out a few times to see how you like it.

I know the rowing team boathouse down by the river has a whole bunch of them and it's just a stone's throw from Tuck, but that might not be open to everyone. It might be worth a walk down there to check them out.

Good luck.

m_sasso
11-05-2018, 02:20 AM
Forget the trainers, the local indoor velodrome club membership is the best $450.00 I ever spent on cycling! Ride when I want indoors during the week out of the cold, rain, snow and wind, race every Friday night to help keep my self motivated.

saab2000
11-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Forget the trainers, the local indoor velodrome club membership is the best $450.00 I ever spent on cycling! Ride when I want indoors during the week out of the cold, rain, snow and wind, race every Friday night to help keep my self motivated.

That would be absolutely ideal! I wish I had such an option. Definitely the way to go instead of indoor stationary training.