PDA

View Full Version : light weight frame

stephan-d
09-25-2018, 06:45 AM
For my new build, I found few of frameset that is most affordable (they are not new or latest one)

So far cant make decission yet and cant test ride any of this frames.

The goal is to build weenie fast responsive bike.
Also the frame will be strip off to expose the carbon weave.

The list of the frames are: C-Dale Supersix Evo, Focus Izalco Max, izalco Race and Ridley Helium SL

Any particular reason to go with one or the other?

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 06:54 AM
Izalco max and Evo Himod are lighter. Non himod shouldn't be in the same conversation.

Evo has a horizontal TT, Focus has very little slope, Helium has the most.

Helium has really annoying internal cable routing if you are using mechanical shifting.

I love my Helium, didn't like my Evo. I dislike the horizontal TT and the Helium just feels like it's more connected to me, and knows where I want it to go.

Ridley sizing is odd, buy based on the geometry chart...a Small is like a 54 in other brands. And there are bigger gaps between the sizes?

stephan-d
09-25-2018, 07:02 AM
Izalco max and Evo Himod are lighter. Non himod shouldn't be in the same conversation.

Helium has really annoying internal cable routing if you are using mechanical shifting.

Ridley sizing is odd, buy based on the geometry chart...a Small is like a 54 in other brands. And there are bigger gaps between the sizes?

Ah I see, I thought that Helium SL also in the same weight league

Well noted on the routing, since I'm planning to get Campy SR on this build

And yes i realise Ridley S size fit me, while size M on SSEvo

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
My Small Helium SLs are around 770g, the Evo himod I had was about 50g lighter. I think the Izalco Max is also down there close to 700.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2018, 09:03 AM
For my new build, I found few of frameset that is most affordable (they are not new or latest one)

The list of the frames are: C-Dale Supersix Evo, Focus Izalco Max, izalco Race and Ridley Helium SL

Go with the one that fits the best....and remember about 30 grams = an ounce....:)

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Oh, and the cable routing on the Helium wouldn't be difficult if the BB cups are removed. I ran mine with SR mech for many thousands of miles. Has EPS now, which is great.

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Go with the one that fits the best....and remember about 30 grams = an ounce....:)

...he said he can't test ride any of them.

stephan-d
09-25-2018, 10:07 PM

unfortunately i cant test those frames :(
there for need as much as possible info here

jtbadge
09-25-2018, 10:10 PM
I'll counter the previous vote against the Supersix. I'm in favor of a level TT, since we are voting on aesthetics.

fogrider
09-25-2018, 11:23 PM

Well, you said you can't test ride them, but can you compare the geometry to what fits you best? Note that most companies paint the carbon because the exposed carbon is not nice and neat. When you see exposed carbon, it's usually a finishing layup after it comes out of the mold.

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 11:25 PM
But he wants something responsive. :banana:

Not sure what it is about my Helium, it's like it just goes where I want it to go, rather than having to turn the bars to steer it. I tried to duplicate my position onto the Evo, but it felt like I was perched on top of it, and I had to steer it like I do my 20 year old riding lawn mower.

(ended up trading the Evo for a BH Ultralight...even though I already had an Ultralight)

Jere
09-25-2018, 11:59 PM

Hi
I have two of these 2014 / 2015 Mech / Electronic
I came from Cervelo’s. R3SL , R5 , S5 ,P2
The NeilPryde Bura SL is lighter, stiffer and quicker handling not my reason for getting them.
The ablity to run 28 mm tires , roads are **** were I live.
JB

oldpotatoe
09-26-2018, 07:27 AM
...he said he can't test ride any of them.

If he has fit info on what the 'window' for him is now, he or a good fit person can extrapolate which would be best for him..
But he wants something responsive.

How it 'feels' is 100% subjective..

maybe some tired of this story..when Morgul-Bismark sponsored a team..got identical Serotta ti frames, the lowest end one(can't remember the model)..same wheels, tires, group..2 riders, almost identical in size..rider one, 'great frame, stiff, responsive', Alex Candalario, 'vague, heavy feeling, sluggish'...so YMMV...

sg8357
09-26-2018, 05:12 PM

Also which one has a threaded bottom bracket and external cable
routing. Creaking BBs and pita cabling, not home wrenche friendly.

jghall
09-26-2018, 06:08 PM

Totally agree with the comment/philosophy. But in my dime bag days an ounce was 28g. :no:

Expedited
09-26-2018, 07:21 PM
I would just go for the one that's the better deal, fits you better, or the one that you think is cooler. The weight differences aren't much at all unless you're going sub 12/13 pounds on the build. I'd make sure you're saving on the wheels if you're trying to go for a weightweenies build. Get a sub 800g frame but really try to shoot for a sub 1k gram wheelset.

bikinchris
09-26-2018, 07:54 PM
How about a Storck? The Fascenario.3 Platinum frame and fork is 1100 grams.

kramnnim
09-26-2018, 08:06 PM
The three he mentioned are all 1-1.1kg frame/fork. And all have PF30. lol.